Reference CD Material for Amp and Headphone Listening
Oct 9, 2007 at 4:22 PM Post #16 of 78
Quote:

Originally Posted by fkclo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Very often we all use different materials on our gears and then voice our opinion and impressions. Nothing wrong with that, but that also means in general there is a lack of recognised reference against which we can really compare the impressions / reviews from different individuals.

Granted, the same will apply to source, cables, and power suppy quality. But i think a "Reference" quality CD is a good way to align views.

I have been trying different audiophile demos / recordings from all over the world, but until now, apart of their rarity most of them have pros and cons.

Today I got myself a copy of "This is K2 HD Sound!" by FIM. This is the first debut CD using K2 HD Mastering technology and I have to say my experience playing it from my MF kW SACD, with its tubed output connect to my Woo Audio 6, and listening it through my HP-1 is a stunning experience. No, IT IS A REVELATION! My jaws D.R.O.P.P.E.D !!

Never had I experienced such resolution, precision and 3D soundstage in a super-real proportion from a CD ! It was shocking to me as to how CD can sound !

I would highly recommend every one to grab a copy. And hopefully, from now on, we have a common reference.

For more information, have a look here :-

http://www.fimpression.com/K2_HD.htm

I am very pleased. This is the best money I have far spent on a CD.

F. Lo

Many thanks, Fkclo! Just what I needed for my opamp evaluations! A copy is on the way to me.

Oct 9, 2007 at 4:45 PM Post #17 of 78
Excellent idea. I have my order in and wonder when they will run out of stock
tongue.gif

Oct 9, 2007 at 4:52 PM Post #18 of 78
Quote:

Originally Posted by HiFlight /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Many thanks, Fkclo! Just what I needed for my opamp evaluations! A copy is on the way to me.

Ron, you are welcome.

With this CD, the source is providing so much more information than the ordinary stuff - and it will be up to the CD player / DAC / headphone amp / headphone to do their respective parts to reproduce them - now this is where the challenge is coming.

I am right now listening to the LISA XP & LLP combo and was pleasantly surprised at the amp's ability to reproduce all this information in such an organic manner. I believe we just can't take it for granted that all amps / headphones can do the same.

F. Lo

Oct 9, 2007 at 5:01 PM Post #19 of 78
Dont forget the chesky recordings...they sound awesome
580smile.gif

and ordered!

Oct 9, 2007 at 5:25 PM Post #20 of 78
Ordered it! Thanks. I've been very impressed with xrcd, xrcd2, and 24. I have River of Sorrow in that format, and see that it will be released in K2 (does anyone else think of skiing here?). It will be interesting to do a comparison. fkclo, how do you experience the difference between the K2 and xrcds?

Oct 9, 2007 at 6:03 PM Post #21 of 78
Me too! One of my favorite CDs to listen to and my absolute favorite to use as a demonstrator CD is the Burmester CD II. It's another demo CD and is very well recorded and has interesting music. Hopefully this one will rival it.

CDs like these show how much more important recording quality is than minor amp, source or headphone differences to overall SQ.

Oct 9, 2007 at 6:13 PM Post #22 of 78
Quote:

Originally Posted by guzziguy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Me too! One of my favorite CDs to listen to and my absolute favorite to use as a demonstrator CD is the Burmester CD II. It's anoter demo CD and is very well recorded and has interesting music. Hopefully this one will rival it.

CDs like these show how much more import recording quality is than minor amp, source or headphone differences to overall SQ.

Burmester cd's are very sought after. Wish I had the burmester 1 cd.
600smile.gif

Oct 9, 2007 at 7:17 PM Post #23 of 78
On the FIM site, they have a selection of vinyl CDs. Can't help but be curious. Anyone with any experience here? I'd never even heard of them before.

EDIT: Nevermind. I just found more info. Looks like only a cosmetic gimmick.

Oct 9, 2007 at 11:36 PM Post #24 of 78
Quote:

Originally Posted by boomana /img/forum/go_quote.gif
fkclo, how do you experience the difference between the K2 and xrcds?

The K2 HD is, IMHO, 2 notches up the XRCD24.

Somehow I feel that the XRCD24 provides a SACD-like performance on redbook player (also a good SACD is still better in high frequency transparecy and extension), but the K2 HD is definitely more analogue like and gives more sustance to the music. You feel the density, the richness, the space, the precision, the virtual reality of stage performance,.... just a bit more on almost every aspect.

Some says it provides true vinyl-link sounding but without the noise and hisses of a LP, but since I am no vinyl expert, I leave this to others assessment.

F. Lo

Oct 10, 2007 at 6:36 AM Post #26 of 78
Quote:

Originally Posted by vcoheda /img/forum/go_quote.gif
where's the link to order this CD?

It's a minor intelligence test. Think about it for a while and the answer of how to order it will become obvious. If you can't, PM me and I'll tell you. But you'll hate yourself if you do!
evil_smiley.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back