Mar 28, 2004 at 7:23 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 50

Geek

Headphoneus Supremus
My system:
SOURCE - RME 96/8 PAD, analog out
INTERCONNECT - Dimarzio M-path
AMP - Headroom Maxed Out Home Reference + stepped attenuator
HEADPHONE - HD650 + cardas 10' cable

I finally received the Stereophile Editor's Choice CD in the mail after 3 months of waiting. I have heard many of the test tracks on incomprehensibly expensive systems. When I ripped the songs to FLAC using the highest possible quality standards in EAC, here's what I found out:

Using the RME at 44.1khz, the sound was rather disappointing from an audiophile perspective. For one, bass was a little sloppy and not as deep as it could have been on the fender bass guitar tests. Otherwise the sound was acceptable but not compared to a good CD player.

The midrange was probably where the majority of my troubles occured. Midrange in my opinion is something absolutely essential for the music to shine, and if it's not done right then the sound is ruined to my ears. Midrange is also extraordinarily difficult to get right in the audio world; even some really good high end phones don't have a strong midrange.

When I listened to the Mozart clarinet quintet, my eyes literally shot wide open at the sonic misfortune of the RME's midrange.

Let me explain a little background here for those of you who do not know me. I am an avid, obsessed violinist and musician and am currently enrolled in a college music program. During high school, our chamber orchestra (we have a near-professional quality chamber group as well as an equally excellent symphony at our high school) played this same concerto that's on the CD with an incredible clarinetist, Dr. Gregory Young. We rehearsed the piece for a total of about 20 hours. It was really truly amazing.

Now, I return to the recording and how it sounded on my setup. The soundstage is literally 35 degrees wide and it exhibits something us musicians like to call the "cavern effect," in which it sounds like the performance is there but we're listening it through a narrow tunnel due to echoy resonances and colorations that shouldn't be there. All of these colorations were in the midrange. The cello lacked body and proper texture, instead tending to ring loudly on open C and D, glaring errors which I'm sure stereophile would never allow on one of their recordings. Violin has no midrange to speak of on my setup, which is saddening; I like the violin's midrange and wanted to hear it. Violas disappear, tonally speaking. I love midrange detail, and I want to hear the tonal center of each instrument which is lower midrange for classical music (Cello A = 220hz, Viola/violin A=440hz). There's plenty of highs, granted, and really powerful lows, but I'm interested in the body of the music.

I cannot listen to this track at volumes approaching a live performance without literally RINGING in the midrange overwhelming the music! Not a good thing for the RME card.

Now on to highs. The highs of stringed instruments and cymbals/hats are something I've never heard a digital system reproduce. NEVER. EVER. I haven't heard the Meridian GO7/GO8 series yet, and Todd claims they're really close to vinyl in smoothness (I define smoothness as not distorting the highs and having a tonally accurate sound). But the RME 96/8 does not break any barriers here. Actually, it represents a giant leap backwards.

Whilst not sounding worse than the hashy grainy crap that is my santa cruz card trying to play a cymbal, the sound isn't much better. Going back to the Clarinet Quintet, we have some bad thigns happening. When a string player draws his bow across the string, a fundamental vibration (say, 440hz) is produced. On top of that, two halves of the string vibrate as well, producing what is called a harmonic, which is on top of the root 440hz, or 880hz. Then these two halves can be divided further into 1.76khz quarters, and so on. The first harmonic is going to sound a lot less loud than the root, the second harmonic less loud than the first, and so on. Bow noise is another factor. When a string vibrates, it does not do so in such a way that produces a sine wave. Rather, it is gripped by the rough texture of the bow, released, and gripped again, hundreds of times per second during a normal smooth bow stroke. This creates that sound unique to a bowed instrument. Now add bow noise, giving the instrument that slightly brittle sound.

When you throw all of these together, add in the sonic properties of the instrument's sounding box and room, you get what I like to call an audiophile's worst nightmare. It's devilishly difficult to accurately reproduce this, which I should term "string texture," and something that primarily fails to be done in the highs. This texture is a combination of harmonics, bow grip, and bow noise. If you're intimately familiar with how it should sound like, you'll never heard it done perfectly on a recording, I guarantee it.

I fully expect this when I am about to listen to a new recording. However, I was startled by the complete lack of any detail whatsoever above what is probably the 10 or 12khz point. I heard a little bit of proper texture, something that keeps my brain thinking, "yes, these are stringed instruments." But the other ninety percent of my mind was thinking "what the heck is that fuzz!?". I have to explain what I heard: most of the highs are literally "fuzzy," lacking any detail whatsoever. Where you hear lots of fuzz, you know that originally there was something really neat like a loud, aggressive note or mabye that was the performer breathing. But you really don't ever get to know, because it's just fuzz. When I should be hearing the clarinetist tapping his pads, I hear a bit of that in the mids (the more visceral "pop,") but there is a lack of highs, rather, it's just fuzz. Lots of it. And it gets really annoying, so bad that I just switched off foobar after a few minutes of listening and went to the next track.

On to how accurate the highs are on cymbals. On track 15, Ellington, arr. Harris: "The Mooche," we have a nice jazz arrangement; featuring a nice setup of instruments and above all some really clear drums. This track I have had the fortune of hearing on all kinds of setups at headroom.

I think that it's a safe bet to say that an iriver MP3 CD player can do the cymbals better than the RME 96/8 with my maxed out home. Doubting that the maxed out home is at fault (it knocked my socks completely off hooked up to a bluenote vinyl rig), I place the majority of the blame on the 96/8. Cymbals are distorted. If my ears had a butt, that butt was seriously kicked, and kicked hard after hearing that song.

The RME does have some redeeming qualities, however, in spite of this massive angry negatively biased rant that I wrote. It's really really versatile. It supports 96khz oversampling, but I hear no difference between 44.1 and 96 sample rates (44.1 sounds slightly cleaner, if anything), since all of the music I own is pretty much recorded to 44.1/16 and it doesn't seem to make a difference resampling. (note that the resampler in foobar comes with a note that sound quality will not be improved upon by higher sample rates. I have come to agree with this, there isn't a difference at all). If you are recording lots of tracks, the card is going to be great, but if you feed the recording through that card on the way out, congrats, you've just created garbage. Otherwise, the card does a great job when it comes to using professional mixing and music creation programs such as cooledit and fruity loops producer edition. I honestly question its $300 price tag, however. My money would've been more well-spent on flashy colored lights on my case, or some sets of strings for my violin, or perhaps an iriver PDCP, something I need badly now but have no money to afford.

If you like classical music, and you like it a lot, do yourself a favor and avoid this sound card. Also avoid the M-audio revolution, the turtle beach santa cruz, and all of the "gaming" cards out there. Basically dodge PC audio unless you don't care about sound quality and archive all of your music digitally in an easy to reach fashion. What you really need to do is get a standalone CD player. There are a ton of manufacturers out there, and all of them seem to offer a better bang for the buck when it comes to sound quality.

Cheers,
Geek

Mar 28, 2004 at 7:49 PM Post #3 of 50
Geek, sounds like you're hearing exactly what I heard with my homebrew AD1852 DAC (the same chip used in the RME). This DAC is impressive on first listen, a lot like Grados, but over time you start to realize that there's an upper midrange stridency that's hard to listen to. It does, however, have awesome dynamics.

A good analog output stage helps a lot, as I've written before, but ultimately you can't escape the underlying sound of the DAC. I do think Iron_Dreamer's mods are worthwhile for people who want to stick with this card. In fact, I'd encourage more mods (especially improving the power supply). I heard the RME briefly at the Seattle meet and it was actually pretty good; clearly the analog stage isn't badly done; I was impressed by the card's performance but ultimately I didn't think the sound was high end.

Geek, I'm sure you're going to get a lot of flack from the computer-as-analog-source crowd for your post, but your impressions just reinforce the idea that good engineering (quality power supply, good layout, proper isolation, separation of analog and digital grounds, etc.) is worth it. The extra money people spend on a Meridian/Bel Canto/Esoteric device is worth it for the quality engineering it buys. There's a lot of prejudice in the computer-as-analog-source crowd that somehow all this engineering doesn't matter, when in fact it does.

Mar 28, 2004 at 8:06 PM Post #4 of 50
I don't care what people think of me, my ears have spoken in regards to one of the most well-done CDs in the history of audio.

Again, there's still a lot of good things about the card and I'm not a hardcore sound audio nerd, so bear with me on this.

I did a complete 180 because hearing fuzz, distortion, lack of midrange, and compression is acceptable with .mp3s and subpar recordings (like most of the ones I own) but when a darned PORTABLE sounds better through an AIRHEAD then I question the value of the card. Again, we're talkinga bout the same recording here, and the exact same song to boot.

In advance, I'm terribly sorry to all of you guys that love this card, I just don't like it with the obsessed passion I had a while ago and I hope I've explained why. Keep in mind that there are dozens of positive reviews about this card, and this is probably the first bad one. Mabye I have a lemon. Mabye flac is lossless but screws up the sound. Mabye the guys that helped me set up LAME missed something or I forgot to do a very important step. There are other variables to consider. I just dont think that any of these variables could produce the problems im encountering to such a degree.

Cheers,
Geek

Mar 28, 2004 at 8:18 PM Post #5 of 50
I don't like my RME PST for basically some of the same reason. The noisiness inside the computer adds to jitter which lowers resolution and collapses the soundstage.

I much prefer my DI/O because I can actually use power conditioning on it.

My experience with my card reveals it improves using an external clock.

Foobar's resampling isn't as good as Winamp's TOP setting in my opinion because it makes things too soft.

As for midrange, That's why I like tubes.

Cables can add also smooth over details. This can become the bottleneck in improving the redbook highs.

Mar 28, 2004 at 8:19 PM Post #6 of 50
Quote:

Originally posted by Wodgy
The extra money people spend on a Meridian/Bel Canto/Esoteric device is worth it for the quality engineering it buys. There's a lot of prejudice in the computer-as-analog-source crowd that somehow all this engineering doesn't matter, when in fact it does.

I don't think I ever said it didn't, in fact I acknowledge the best way to get sound from a computer is optical to an external DAC. However I ain't got money for that, so I've made the best of what I can.

Wodgy, your comment about that upper mid stridency makes sense, that combined with the upper mid bump of the SR325 is probably what made me go off of those cans. However, I think the mods go a long way towards fixing that problem, the modded cards sound drastically less harsh and overblown than the stock card.

Mar 28, 2004 at 8:24 PM Post #7 of 50
I think at the price, RME 96/8 PAD is really a bargain.
It is unfair to ask a $300 soundcard to do everything.
I am using it with dAck DAC and Monarchy SuperDrive DIP, the result is very good.

Mar 28, 2004 at 8:37 PM Post #9 of 50
Geek,

I'd just like to say that there's nothing wrong with your review. I actually felt it quite refreshing to hear someone criticize a component rather than extol it. I think too many reviews on Head-Fi these days rant about how good a component is, but tend to gloss over the negatives. I don't see anything wrong with glossing over the negatives either, btw.

Before any other RME users make posts trying to defend their card, lemme just say this: It matters not what others think about the card as long as you find it satisfactory. We all have different tastes. I personally couldn't live without a DAC, but that's my bias.

Another thing, this whole game is not about "selling" a particular component. I think people get way to defensive because they think they are losing "converts." This whole forum is about listening to people's viewpoints and making an "informed" decision.

As for comparisons to live music, that's the only way to go. Nothing beats a good concert in a live-sounded opera house...or even better, nothing beats being a musician sitting smack in the middle of an orchestra
tongue.gif
Oh, and Geek, if you need any more awsome clarinetists, gimme a call
smily_headphones1.gif
nah, j/k.

Mar 28, 2004 at 8:59 PM Post #10 of 50
EDIT: This post was originally a compare and contrast of IronDreamer's quote here about $300 soundcards not being able to keep up with expensive CDPs, and his rant in the recently closed thread in the Members Lounge where he railed against others for making the same statement, but I don't want to start a flame war over what was intended to be a comical post, friendly cajolling, lest it appear I'm re-opening the closed thread argument. Never mind...
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 29, 2004 at 12:03 AM Post #12 of 50
Yup, he said that most of his recordings sound bad, and this recording opened his ears to how bad the RME sounds with good recordings.

Mar 29, 2004 at 12:45 AM Post #13 of 50
Ok, I'm still hoping Geek can go into further explanation of what's changed since his earlier positive evaluation where he said "OODLES of detail! This is one thing that I like about this card: not only are more instruments portrayed correctly, but you can hear their character and individual notes. Very involving."
http://www5.head-fi.org/forums/showt...threadid=56940

It's not that uncommon for people to change their minds about something as they gain experience with different gear, but this is such an extreme 180 degree turn that it's made me curious as to what's changed.

Mar 29, 2004 at 1:15 AM Post #14 of 50
I'm curious about that too.

People's impressions of audio gear are entirely subjective, that's understood from here... I'm also wondering why someone would do a 180 like that, however.

It's certainly believable that a $300 piece is not going to equal what someone's heard on "incomparably expensive" gear, but why suddenly does it sound worse than a portable? That's the part that puzzles me.

I don't understand the anger, either... why are you angry, Geek? Just move on to whatever pleases your ears.

"Basically dodge PC audio unless you don't care about sound quality..." -- is that necessary? Is it saying anything about the RME? I find it hard to take your review seriously. You were doing fine until the last two paragraphs, then you started making the sort of sweeping generalizations that tend to nullify what came before.

Mar 29, 2004 at 9:57 AM Post #15 of 50
Quote:

Originally posted by Geek
I think that it's a safe bet to say that an iriver MP3 CD player can do the cymbals better than the RME 96/8 with my maxed out home. Doubting that the maxed out home is at fault (it knocked my socks completely off hooked up to a bluenote vinyl rig), I place the majority of the blame on the 96/8. Cymbals are distorted. If my ears had a butt, that butt was seriously kicked, and kicked hard after hearing that song.

I find this hard to believe.

Believe whatever you will, for one that wants such "perfection" from fairly mid range equipment, you are making large generalizations. But I am repeating what Fewtch posted already.
Many here can fault many parts of your setup. (besides the computer audio bashers)

That said, I can say at least you have at least personally tried PC audio before bashing it. There are many others here who cannot say the same. Bravo, move on.

But, before you make any hasty decisions, please take the time to evaluate your setup, software settings. It's also best to compare to another's similar RME PAD and Foobar 2K settings. Foobar has a neat little EQ that shows when your song is coming close to or past clipping. So, in many cases where I thought the equipment was to blame, it was simply the song. My equipment just wasn't being forgiving at all.

There could be many things not done correctly or optimally.

I love classical music, and have found the RME digi96/8 PAD to be a great fit for me. Modding it has made it even more refined, smoothing out some of the "rough" edges it had.

-Ed

Users who are viewing this thread

Back