Reevaluated my opinion of the 96/8 PAD
Mar 30, 2004 at 4:32 AM Post #46 of 50
I bet Geek would like it if Headroom made it...
very_evil_smiley.gif

Mar 30, 2004 at 5:48 AM Post #47 of 50
radrd,

Headroom hasn't made any components which sound fuzzy like that. You can't hook even a maxed out home to a marvelous source and say, "the highs are fuzzy and lack almost any definition in the texture/airy region of the frequency spectrum." I'd imagine the new airhead or total airhead might be a little bit fudgy here, but again that had a great sound even on the iriver player, playing the exact same songs.

For the record, I'm not too fond of their bithead, but that's just me and probably the 128k mp3s that I heard when auditioning it
frown.gif

If headroom made something like that, I'd probably be promoting meier audio. Then again, headroom doesn't make sources, and the sources they recommend are worth the money.

Cheers,
Geek

Mar 31, 2004 at 6:58 PM Post #48 of 50
...speaking as though you Know Truth is different.

When I first arrived at Head-Fi, Geek's posts were some of the first I read. In fact, with his fancy wording and tone, he almost convinced me to buy the HD650s. (that OMG 650s thread) Well i'm glad I didn't, because I heard the Senn 6x0's on a couple systems at the Seattle Meet and really wasn't impressed.

So why did he have me convinced for a while there? Because he uses an authoritative and all-knowing tone and verbiage.

Now you're telling me that Geek doesn't just talk that way, he also changes his mind COMPLETELY based on one CD? I'm sorry, but this is too much to take.

I agree that that CD might be an Uber-recording. But Geek, did you ever think about the fact that a lot of music is NOT recorded so well? Even if other music is recorded so well, I hoenstly think classical music is a totally different kind of listening and experience than all other genres.

So you're going to tell me that because of this one extreme minority of classical CDs, "The RME sounds like crap."

NO.

Now if you said, "The Stock RME sounds bad with incredibly high quality classical music."

That might be a valid statement. I wouldn't even doubt it, because I've found it's very hard to get classical to sound really good, on most systems. I liked it on the KGSS/Orpheus.. but, well... I think that's expected
wink.gif

And what's this crap about changing your mind to all other music once you heard this "God Of CDs"? So do rock and jazz sound bad now that your little prized CD didn't pass your test with the RME? Heck no. You've just modified your opinions based on this New Truth so much that you can longer except the Old Truth, even though it's still perfectly viable (except, as mentioned, for certain small percentages and genres of music)

I don't mind a person modifying their viewpoint and opinion to new data. I do that myself.

But when you do this, let's try to stay un-Elitist, open-minded, intelligent, and non-juvenile, hmm?

Thanks.

Mar 31, 2004 at 10:10 PM Post #49 of 50
What it comes down to (for me) is that knocking all PC audio based on one's impression of one piece of gear is stepping way over the line.

Quote:

Basically dodge PC audio unless you don't care about sound quality and archive all of your music digitally in an easy to reach fashion. What you really need to do is get a standalone CD player.

Suppose the above were revised to read as follows:
Quote:

Basically dodge digital unless you don't care about sound quality and need the convenience. What you really need to do is get a turntable.

The above certainly would cause an uproar among a large number of people, but if it's "PC audio" I guess people think they can get away with this kind of bull and not get called on it.

I've been taking Geek's posts with a grain of salt anyway, since he first started asserting that HD580/600s are unlistenable with anything less than a high 5-figure setup. My ears tell me completely different (my digital setup is more along the lines of $600, and it sounds very nice).

Apr 7, 2004 at 1:00 AM Post #50 of 50
Geek, if you do not like your RME, you could send it to me to try ( and keep
smily_headphones1.gif
). I've not the money to buy a retail PAD, but it looks to be in the upper tier of PC audio. Oh, BTW, I have an M-Audio Revolution analogue to a Yamaha reciever to a HD590.... I am more than happy with it. The HD590 is better than most people give it credit for, but as always, it is IMO. I'm pretty sure that I will stay with PC music for a very long time because it is a better value for what you get, VERY flexible, and can function as a game system, internet browser, audio editor, etc. One last thing Geek, try to put the RME in the bottom PCI slot as it is furthest away from interference. If you still are not happy, I'll be more than happy to take it off your hands, hehe
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back