reel-to-reel deck (large pic warning)
Mar 9, 2007 at 12:34 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

Voodoochile

Supafly & The Funky Pimps
Anyone here into open-reel decks? I have owned a few of them over the years, but do not own one presently.

Check out this guys collection:
(~430K)
Qualifies as more than mere enthusiasm, I'd say.
blink.gif

Mar 9, 2007 at 1:03 PM Post #2 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by Voodoochile /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Anyone here into open-reel decks? I have owned a few of them over the years, but do not own one presently.

Check out this guys collection:
(~430K)
Qualifies as more than mere enthusiasm, I'd say.
blink.gif

I have a Revox PR99 and Uher 4400. They need frequent set-up to keep them at their best but the sound is wonderful.
That guy is going a little overboard maybe...liking the look of those Technics machines he has, they were certainly amogst the best made.

Mar 9, 2007 at 2:09 PM Post #4 of 20
But, it's a collection. Just like any other collection. Reel to reel collection just needs more room.

I had a pioneer reel to reel back in the 80's. I used it with a timer to get special stuff like concerts and specific radio programs.

Just a few days ago i was thinking of maybe getting a used reel to reel to record some stuff but then figured maybe just record 192 stereo direct onto pc hard disk.

But yeah, reels are awesome and fun to use!

Mar 9, 2007 at 4:19 PM Post #5 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by memepool /img/forum/go_quote.gif
They need frequent set-up to keep them at their best but the sound is wonderful.

Maybe the cat hair makes them purrr...
wink.gif

Mar 9, 2007 at 5:09 PM Post #6 of 20
That Philips deck brings back some X-rated memories. I wonder whatever happened to my companions of those days. We had one of those as part of our student union audio equipment and much fun was had by all
evil_smiley.gif

Mar 9, 2007 at 7:14 PM Post #7 of 20
Yeah, that guy has got it bad. He must have some extra lolly columns under that room to support the floor.

My former decks included a 4-channel Teac, a 2-channel Teac, and a couple different Akai models. All 7-inch reels.

I always did lust after the nice top-line Revox, some Tandbergs, and the huge Technics. With the big-arse spools, of course. A good deck, especially if it runs 15ips, is pretty nice to hear.

Mar 10, 2007 at 4:42 AM Post #8 of 20
I've always wondered about Reel to Reels.

Where do these guys get their material sources from? Were there ever albums available to the general public on Reel To Reel, or did they simply record vinyl records to the Reel To Reel?

Mar 10, 2007 at 7:22 AM Post #9 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by NMyTree /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've always wondered about Reel to Reels.

Where do these guys get their material sources from? Were there ever albums available to the general public on Reel To Reel, or did they simply record vinyl records to the Reel To Reel?

Sure, there were plenty of albums released on reel. Check this out:

http://music.search.ebay.com/reel-to...elQ2dtoQ2dreel

I think you'll recognize more than a few groups in there. Reel was sort of the SACD of its day. A futzy, high-end audiophile format that the masses never "got." It survived until about the arrival of the CD, then it got left behind. Don't get me wrong, it still has strong adherents and quite a few audiophiles listen. It's like vinyl was 10-15 years ago. Sound quality remains excellent; many reels were dubbed off of master tapes. There's a little hiss, but dynamic range is excellent and they are analog.

The good thing is that most reel decks are built like tanks and you can get a good one for $200-$300. As you can see, there's still plenty of media available.

I haven't picked one up yet, but I sure like the old Revox decks. I'll probably put some money aside and buy one for my birthday in July.

Mar 11, 2007 at 11:16 AM Post #12 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by fraseyboy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have an old reel-to-reel sitting up on a shelf... But I've never used it before. It says its a Revox B-77

Lucky you
eggosmile.gif

This is one of the best and most common Revox machines out there so getting it serviced should be easy enough. Try to find a Revox enthusiast rather than a professional Revox Service Centre as the latter will cost a lot.
The good news is these machines are built like tanks and should pretty much go on and on.

Mar 13, 2007 at 4:25 PM Post #14 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by fraseyboy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have an old reel-to-reel sitting up on a shelf... But I've never used it before. It says its a Revox B-77

Great machine, used to own one along with a Teac 3340. There was something about that old analog sound.....

And to the OP, that's one helluva collection in that pic.

Mar 13, 2007 at 7:09 PM Post #15 of 20
Yeah... I have no tapes for it though I think. Except for home-recorded compositions that my dad did...

I might have SOME hiding away somewhere...

To the OP: Where is it possible to buy them?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back