RedWine Audio iMod - First Impressions (Dissapointed)
Jun 27, 2010 at 4:43 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

tolkencatholic

100+ Head-Fier
Hey guys. I just recently received my iMod from Vinnie just a couple of days ago. After reading all the rave reviews, I was very eager to get one. However, after a couple of days of listening I must admit I'm not entirely impressed. It's not that the iMod sounds bad but comparing it with just a regular stock iPod, it's not a "night and day" difference. If anything, I didn't hear any difference.

For the iMod I'm using a used ALO SXC Cyro Cable ( with 40 hours of burn in) while with the stock iPod I'm using a Sendstation LOD with a Cardas mini to mini cable.

Just wanted to know will the iMod eventually improve? Did anyone out there have similar initial experiences and then later have the iMod become a work of beauty after the recommended burn in time (200 hours or more) ? If so, about how many hours?

I know I'm being impatient, but at the same time, after dropping $350 into the iMod, I did expect some initial improvement right off the bat!

Hopefully good things are yet to come from the iMod
smile_phones.gif

Let me know of your impressions guys!

Source: (1) RedWineAudio iMod 5.5 Gen 240Gb, (2) 5 Gen iPod Video 30Gb stock
Cables/Accessories: (1) ALO SXC Cyro Cable  , (2) Sendstation LOD & Cardas cable
Amp:    Headroom Total Bithead
Cans:   Ultrasone HFi-580

Jun 27, 2010 at 5:29 AM Post #2 of 9
get some external caps.

Jun 27, 2010 at 9:35 AM Post #3 of 9
tolkencatholic is the line out dock you are using the one with the caps in it? I am not trying to be funny just want to make sure you are using the correct line out dock. Also as I recall the unit gets better with burn-in and by using lossless files. Good luck.

Jun 27, 2010 at 11:21 AM Post #4 of 9
The ALO SXC has Black Gate capacitors installed in it.
RC

Quote:
tolkencatholic is the line out dock you are using the one with the caps in it?

Quote:
For the iMod I'm using a used ALO SXC Cyro Cable ( with 40 hours of burn in) while with the stock iPod I'm using a Sendstation LOD with a Cardas mini to mini cable.

Jun 27, 2010 at 1:12 PM Post #6 of 9

Quote:
The ALO SXC Cryo Cable can be ordered with or without the caps, this in case you wish to use it with a Non-iMod unit.

My bad.
RC

Jun 27, 2010 at 1:24 PM Post #7 of 9
Many people report the Blackgates as having a long burn in time, so maybe it will get better. I would fire off an e-mail asking about it just to ease your concerns. However, I have also found that one mans "night and day difference" is another mans "barely noticable difference".

Jun 27, 2010 at 7:11 PM Post #8 of 9
I'll be very interested to hear how you get on with this. Respect for not toeing the line that the iMod is awesome SQ. Hope it turns out to be so for you though!

Jun 27, 2010 at 9:17 PM Post #9 of 9

Quote:
tolkencatholic is the line out dock you are using the one with the caps in it? I am not trying to be funny just want to make sure you are using the correct line out dock. Also as I recall the unit gets better with burn-in and by using lossless files. Good luck.

I bought the cable used off a fellow Head-Fi member. I'm assuming it does have the Black Gate caps since if it didn't my iMod and Bithead amp would have been fried. The cable also has the iMod logo on it.

Quote:
I'll be very interested to hear how you get on with this. Respect for not toeing the line that the iMod is awesome SQ. Hope it turns out to be so for you though!

I hope so too. It's funny though, I showed my friend both the stock iPod rig and the iMod rig and he said he definitely heard a difference between each, with the iMod sounding much better. He's not even into headphones or hi-fi! I'm just going to keep burning it in and see if it improves for me. I'll post it when done.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back