Red Wine Audio - iMod sir?
Oct 20, 2005 at 8:21 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 62

Citizen Smith

Head-Fier
Anyone let Red Wine Audio loose on their iPod (iMod)? I did see the thread recently from the guy with the Nano iMod, and to me it looks seriously promising. I've made some enquiries with Vinnie at Red Wine and just wondered if anyone had, or were considering, this mod?

Oct 20, 2005 at 9:22 PM Post #2 of 62
I sent a 60GB iPod to Vinne for the iMod, and it's done, but it hasn't arrived yet. I will post a mini-review when I get it, could be tomorrow...

Oct 21, 2005 at 12:37 AM Post #4 of 62
I am very curious about the hMod described on Red Wine Audio's website (also described below).

[size=xx-small]"Red Wine Audio hMod (headphone output mod) now available! The stock coupling caps used in the iPod headphone output circuit are too small, which results in a known bass roll-off problem. For those who are using their iPod for direct headphone use, we offer the hMod. This replaces the stock surface-mount coupling caps with larger ones that do not roll-off the bass."[/size]

If any users have completed this modification I would be very interested to read some feedback/ comments about it. I had an opportunity to visit Red Wine Audio at the Rocky Mountain Audio Festival and was quite impressed by the iMod.

Best,
iDesign

Oct 21, 2005 at 3:33 PM Post #6 of 62
The iMod is a major upgrade, the caps now have around 200 hours, and doing A/B tests between the iModded 60Gb Photo and another 60Gb Photo with PocketDock shows just what a difference there is.

The sound is incredibly clean... I always thought the iPod's line out was very clean compared to other players but I guess you don't notice the noise until it's gone. Both top and bottom ends are extended, but not in any exaggerated way, it still sounds very linear and iPod like, just more so, very smooth, detailed and musical.

Given that I'm on my fourth Xin amp, have 4 different HD650 cables and numerous other tweaks, I actually feel that the iMod is the best $200 I have spent in the whole process.

You need decent interconnects to fully appreciate the iMod, but head-fiers should have no problem rustling up something in that regard.

Oct 21, 2005 at 3:39 PM Post #7 of 62
Wow, that's cool, I can't wait to get mine!!!

Oct 21, 2005 at 4:50 PM Post #8 of 62
Quote:

Originally Posted by irvin59
I'm very keen to hear what you find when you open up a video ipod.

Yes! I would be interested in this as well.

Oct 21, 2005 at 8:28 PM Post #9 of 62
Lexnasa, appreciate your comments, it's certainly whetting my appetite now. For me, $200 will be a no-brainer purchase as I plan to use my iPod as a primary source. As it is, it's no where near the mark regarding sound quality, so this iMod could be my saviour.

Did you try Vinnie's silver interconnect cable?

Can't wait to join the club!

Oct 21, 2005 at 9:17 PM Post #10 of 62
Quote:

Originally Posted by irvin59
I'm very keen to hear what you find when you open up a video ipod.

I do believe that in another thread Vinnie expressed interest in the internal parts of the updated iPod. For those of you who still may be curious, see the following: http://www.tuaw.com/files/2005/10/je...d_teardown.pdf

Best,
iDesign

Oct 22, 2005 at 8:37 PM Post #12 of 62
Quote:

Originally Posted by LBC
Hey Vinnie,

Anything happening with modding the X5?

Hi LBC,

Not until someone sends one to me. Who will be my first victim
icon10.gif

Oct 23, 2005 at 3:27 AM Post #13 of 62
vinnie,

you only show ipod photo imods on your site now. are you no longer modding the 4G ipods? can you do the same mods to the 4G as you do with the ipod photo (like turning the headphone out into a line out)?

thanks.

Oct 23, 2005 at 9:53 AM Post #14 of 62
Kugino, I made enquiries with Vinnie regarding the iMod to my 4G 20Gb colour, and it can be done. Because of its smaller size the new caps will not fit inside, but in an outer cable assembly. I'm toying with the pigtail option so as to retain the head out, mind you I use the iPod 95% of the time in dock connected to an amp so the 'convert the head out to line out' option would probably suit me best.

Vinnie, thanks for the heads-up on the AudioPath silver cable. Terminated with Eichman Bullet Plugs - Now you're talking!

Hope to get my iPod to you soon..

Oct 23, 2005 at 2:32 PM Post #15 of 62
Well, yesterday I received my iModded iPod photo (60gb) back from red Wine Audio. I let it cook a while, and then played it dor an hour or so last night. I stayed up listening to it later than I should have, which is a good sign right there.

The sound quality difference between the regular line out and the imod line our is not subtle, and would be easily identified by anyone with good headphones and good hearing. It makes a much bigger difference than I expected.

Frankly, I had gotten used to the fact that even the line out of the iPod is rolled off in the treble, and the iMod gives all that back. The treble is clear as a bell, very extended, and very natural. It is not the least bit rolled off, and this is immediately noticable. Everything sounds so much more clear and open. There is no treble grain at all that I could discern. Really quite remarkable actually. A warning: if you listen to lossy-compressed music files on your iPod, I don't recommend the iMod. You will hear the compression artifacts very easily, and it will bug you. But if you use Apple Lossless, you will love what the imod does to the treble.

In the mids, the mids were just a touch cleaner. Not as dramtic as the trble, but cleaner nonetheless. Same with the bass, really. It might have been a bit more extended, and the bass was better controlled and detailed, but there was NOT more bass. If your only reason for getting the iMod is more bass, then it isn't for you. But the quality of the bass does improve. I think there is enough bass from iPod via the regular line out, and so having the iMod clean it up a bit was great.

Imaging is also much improved. The soundstage is more fleshed out. Really the whole thing is just so much less muddy it's remarkable. And I did not think of the ipod as having a muddy sound via it's line out. But once you hear the iMod line out, it's so much cleaner.

This is worth the $200, no doubt. Nice job, Red Wine Audio!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back