Recovering from "the Procedure" - A Rant
Nov 21, 2005 at 1:49 PM Post #76 of 82
Quote:

Originally Posted by Welly Wu
Is this vasectomy covered by most health care insurance policies?

I am asking because I have been thinking about having it done myself. I know that I am only 28 years old, single, and unmarried, but I just can not figure out how having children is supposed to be a wonderful milestone in my life. I got enough problems as it is with my own personal life and family life, how can adding children make things any better?

I agree with Tom on this one,it would be a major mistake you never know what the future brings in your lovelife.
One of my friends got one because his future wife didn't want Kids 2 weeks after getting married they split up for good.
It cost him a ton of money to try to get the procedure reversed & it never worked,He ended up adopting kids in his secound marriage.

Nov 21, 2005 at 4:44 PM Post #77 of 82
yep, from a cold hearted practical standpoint, i wouldn't go for the procedure unless you've already had your share of kids pop out into the world and you KNOW you don't want more EVER (even if one or more die prematurely, heavens forbid!)

sorry to say this to the younger gentlemen of the board, but your ideals and priorities may change in the future, and there's no rush to inalterably change things down there unless absolutely necessary.

Feb 15, 2006 at 6:53 AM Post #78 of 82
Well, I am having the procedure in a few days. I am going for the non-scalpel version: The small cut on the testicular sack and the cutting of the seminal channels. I was offered a seven day permit to stay away from work, but I really wonder if that's necessary. I don't really like to take time away from work unless I'm on vacation, and since it's not a very traumatic operation, I wanted to ask you guys if you think I should take the days off or not. What do you think.

Feb 15, 2006 at 7:08 AM Post #79 of 82
Everyone is different and there are lots of variables of course....

I was good to go (back to work!) after just a couple of days--you probably won't need a whole week off.

Feb 15, 2006 at 7:59 AM Post #80 of 82
Quote:

Originally Posted by daycart1
Everyone is different and there are lots of variables of course....

I was good to go (back to work!) after just a couple of days--you probably won't need a whole week off.

That's good to know, thanks.

Feb 28, 2006 at 10:27 AM Post #81 of 82
Okay, I wanted to post until I felt better. I had the procedure on February the 15th and had some pain and mild molesties well up until last Sunday. Now, I have to wait tree months before I am actually sterile. I endured a couple jokes about me becoming an eunuch and growing breasts, but I am most sure that I made the rigth choice and that I did it mostly in the best interest of my wife and kids. Thanks to all for the advice given in this thread.
biggrin.gif

Nov 21, 2008 at 4:39 AM Post #82 of 82
Quote:

Originally Posted by socrates63 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
True. I will have it done, but until that day comes (we even talked this morning about a third child), I will gather some info to ease some of my concerns and anxiety.

Two years and one week after I made the above post in this thread, I finally got the procedure done.

After the above post, it took a year for both me and my wife to feel comfortable about not having a third child, and then another year for me to get over the anxiety. Reading about Elrod Tom's experiences was huge factor in helping me get over the hump, and talking to a co-worker who had it done finally sealed the deal for me.

As for my experience, it was very easy. The anesthesia shots were hardly felt. My flu shot was much more painful in comparison. I didn't feel a thing, and the entire procedure was very easy. The doctor and I had a chat during more than half of the time.

After the anesthesia wore off, I felt just a tiny discomfort (like the feeling of a tennis ball just grazing your groin) and it was really nothing and lasted maybe 5-10 minutes while my wife drove me back home.

It's been about 10 hours since the procedure, and I feel my normal self as long as I avoid laying on my stomach on the floor. I guess I'll see how I feel tomorrow morning, but it looks like everything will be fine. My co-worker had pain for a month so I had been prepared for the worst but so far so good. It looks like the mental anxiety was the worst part of the entire experience.

I revived an old thread just in case there's someone out there like me who had been thinking about vasectomy and needed some reassurance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back