Recording Vinyl to Computer
Jan 19, 2003 at 8:47 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

erikzen

06 National Meet Co-Coordinator
100% THD and S/N = 0
I would like to record my record collection to my computer and then store the files on CDs and as MP3 on my player and HD. Once recorded I will use them in portable devices such as CD and MP3 players and possibly MiniDisc. I will also probably want to use CDs in my home stereo system.

My question is what pre-amp should I use? I do not have particularly high end equipment. I will primarily be playing back the audio through my portable rig. This will most likely be my irock 530 MP3 player, Archos Studio 10 MP3 Jukebox, MZ-R70 Minidisc player and possibly an older Aiwa PCDP (if I can find it. It's packed away somewhere). I will be using an Airhead headphone amp and PX200 headphones. The turntable will be a Technics SL-1900. Given the fact that none of my playback equipment would be considered audiophile grade, does it matter what pre-amp I use? I can buy a pre-amp at Radio Slack for $30 but what kind of output will I get? By the same token, if I buy a $500 pre-amp will it make any difference?

Thanks for any and all help!

Jan 21, 2003 at 7:23 AM Post #2 of 21
Quote:

Originally posted by erikzen
I would like to record my record collection to my computer ....My question is what pre-amp should I use....The turntable will be a Technics SL-1900. Given the fact that none of my playback equipment would be considered audiophile grade, does it matter what pre-amp I use?

The Short Answer: No. What will matter most is how clean your records are. I'm not knocking your table (its better than mine), but any phono preamp will be close to the same for this project.

Quote:

I can buy a pre-amp at Radio Slack for $30 but what kind of output will I get?

$30 worth. Maybe. Don't go there.

Quote:

By the same token, if I buy a $500 pre-amp will it make any difference?

Some difference. But for what you are doing, look at the used market for a good receiver that has PHONO inputs. Pick something that you think you will want to keep or think you can resale when you are done.

Have fun
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 21, 2003 at 3:20 PM Post #3 of 21
Quote:

Originally posted by Audio Redneck
$30 worth. Maybe. Don't go there.

They've raised the price. Too bad. It's still worth considering. Unless the circuit has changed, the "Little Rat" at Radio Shack is actually a pretty good introductory phono preamp, fairly equivalent to offerings over $100 by Pro-Ject and NAD (I've owned all of these). Not a world beater, but definitely a good place to start. Try www.audioasylum.com, and do a search for "Little Rat" in the vinyl forum for more than you'll ever want to know.

A $1500 preamp will make a difference...if you've got a strong turntable and a great sound card, or even an outboard A to D convertor with digital input to your computer. In your case, it would be overkill.

Audio Redneck is absolutely correct that record cleaning is essential. A Discwasher system, used properly, is still pretty good, although there are better options depending on what you want to spend.

Jan 21, 2003 at 4:07 PM Post #4 of 21
Quote:

Originally posted by Hirsch
They've raised the price. Too bad. It's still worth considering. Unless the circuit has changed, the "Little Rat" at Radio Shack is actually a pretty good introductory phono preamp, fairly equivalent to offerings over $100 by Pro-Ject and NAD (I've owned all of these). Not a world beater, but definitely a good place to start. Try www.audioasylum.com, and do a search for "Little Rat" in the vinyl forum for more than you'll ever want to know.

confused.gif

icon3.gif

Ok, I get it now. You are talking about the phono preamp and I was thinking of those little stereos with phono pre that they sell. My bad.
redface.gif
Sorry if I confused the issue.

Jan 21, 2003 at 5:54 PM Post #5 of 21
Thanks for the info. I actually have an old Onkyo receiver that has a phono input. I could run it through there but I'm actually using it to run a dvd and vhs through for stereo sound. I'd rather not dismantle it as this project might take some time. I think I would prefer having something smaller as well for this setup. I will search the forums again for info on the Little Rat and the other pre-amps you mention.

You bring up a good point. Wow! it's been so long since I've played an LP, I forgot all about the ritual of cleaning the records. I really don't want to spend a lot of money on record cleaning supplies and equipment but what is recommended?

Oh and one more thing that is confusing me (excuse my ignorance) what is the difference between a phono pre-amp and a phono stage?

Jan 21, 2003 at 6:26 PM Post #6 of 21
If your just doing this to have a copy for the portable - not to archive and sell your albums - then pretty much any phono preamp will do, and a used receiver may be the cheapest route, plus give you an extra receiver for your computer work station.

You should be aware, however, that you do not need to buy a phono preamp unless you have a very noisy sound card. You can apply RIAA equalization with software - not as good as a quality preamp, but just fine for your application. Check out the free trial version (full features, 30 second sample limit) at www.diamondcut.com

Jan 21, 2003 at 6:28 PM Post #7 of 21
Phono stage is the phono preamp section of a full-function preamp.

Phono preamp can mean either a stand alone unit or a phono stage.

But people use them pretty much interchangably.

Jan 21, 2003 at 6:29 PM Post #8 of 21
Quote:

Oh and one more thing that is confusing me (excuse my ignorance) what is the difference between a phono pre-amp and a phono stage?

Usually used to describe the same thing. A phono stage is used to bring a phono signal (very weak) up to line level like the output from a CDP or Tape Deck. A Preamp is usually a volume control circuit and device switching. So typically, aphono pre-amp is a combination.

For recording from a single device, the preamp section is really not needed as the recorder (computer or tape) adjusts the input gain to the desired level.
smily_headphones1.gif

EDIT: and I see Zowie beat me to the click.

Jan 22, 2003 at 3:25 AM Post #9 of 21
Quote:

Originally posted by zowie
...But people use them pretty much interchangably.

I guess that's what's confusing me.

Jan 22, 2003 at 3:34 AM Post #10 of 21
Quote:

If your just doing this to have a copy for the portable - not to archive and sell your albums - then pretty much any phono preamp will do, and a used receiver may be the cheapest route, plus give you an extra receiver for your computer work station.

You should be aware, however, that you do not need to buy a phono preamp unless you have a very noisy sound card. You can apply RIAA equalization with software - not as good as a quality preamp, but just fine for your application. Check out the free trial version (full features, 30 second sample limit) at www.diamondcut.com

Actually, I was considering putting all the albums on CD and then probably getting rid of the albums. I guess I was thinking in the short term about how I would listen to the music now, until I was able to think about buying a decent stereo again. (Which will be in about 20 years when my daughter graduates from college!)

My sound card is a Santa Cruz Turtle Beach. It doesn't seem particularly noisy, but I don't have high end equipment so maybe I don't hear the noise.

To summarize then, I can actually plug my turntable into my soundcard directly but I'll need to equalize the sound later. However, I can use an old receiver or a cheap phono preamp to do that during recording. But if I'm going to archive the material then it would make sense to use a better pre-amp. And above all, make sure to clean the records!

Is that about it?

Jan 22, 2003 at 3:05 PM Post #11 of 21
Quote:

To summarize then, I can actually plug my turntable into my soundcard directly but I'll need to equalize the sound later.

No, you have to have a phono stage between the two and the table needs to be grounded.

Quote:

I can use an old receiver or a cheap phono preamp to do that during recording. But if I'm going to archive the material then it would make sense to use a better pre-amp. And above all, make sure to clean the records!

Yes

Jan 22, 2003 at 3:16 PM Post #12 of 21
Quote:

To summarize then, I can actually plug my turntable into my soundcard directly but I'll need to equalize the sound later.

Yes, I have done it with good results. Most turntables do need to be grounded, but you can ground them to anything that happend to be convenient. I should have added, however, that you need a relatively high output cartridge for good results. If you're not getting enough signal, use the mic in instead of the line in. This is not the path to professional archival-quality results, but they will be nonetheless be very adequate.

Jan 22, 2003 at 10:23 PM Post #13 of 21
Quote:

This is not the path to professional archival-quality results, but they will be nonetheless be very adequate.

OK, I'm going to be real pain in the ***** here. What if I want archival quality results, or at least close to it. Let's face it, I'll probably never be spending $15,000 on a home system, but I might spend $1500 (adjusted for inflation, of course
wink.gif
).

What would I need to be able to record my records and burn them to cd and have them sound halfway decent on a $1500 home setup?

Jan 22, 2003 at 11:19 PM Post #14 of 21
The highest quality turntable, arm, cartridge, phono preamp/stage, sound card, interconnects, burner and CD-Rs that you can afford.

I don't intend for that to be facetious.

Jan 24, 2003 at 4:48 AM Post #15 of 21
Quote:

The highest quality turntable, arm, cartridge, phono preamp/stage, sound card, interconnects, burner and CD-Rs that you can afford.

I don't intend for that to be facetious.

Point well taken.

So back to my original question...suggestions on a phono preamp/stage under $300.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back