Recording/Mastering Headphones?
Apr 6, 2002 at 2:24 AM Post #77 of 93
it IS the v600 in disguise, just as the v6 is the same as the 7506

Apr 6, 2002 at 3:31 AM Post #78 of 93
Quote:

Originally posted by kwkarth
it IS the v600 in disguise, just as the v6 is the same as the 7506

Make that the v900 in disguise. I used to own a v900, and thought I liked it at first - but then listening to my HD 280 PRO's now for the past several days makes me wonder, "What the ****** was I thinking when I heard the v900's?" It was then that I realized how overpriced that v900 is! The v900 costs more than $150, but personally I wouldn't pay more than $60 for it!
tongue.gif

Apr 6, 2002 at 4:01 AM Post #79 of 93
Quote:

Originally posted by Eagle_Driver

Make that the v900 in disguise. I used to own a v900, and thought I liked it at first - but then listening to my HD 280 PRO's now for the past several days makes me wonder, "What the ****** was I thinking when I heard the v900's?" It was then that I realized how overpriced that v900 is! The v900 costs more than $150, but personally I wouldn't pay more than $60 for it!
tongue.gif

I'm sorry, you're absolutely correct Eagle_Driver!
Thanks for catching that!

Apr 6, 2002 at 5:22 AM Post #80 of 93
Quote:

Wanna' quit arguing and have a beer?

Sure
biggrin.gif

bier.gif

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Apr 6, 2002 at 5:59 AM Post #81 of 93
Quote:

Originally posted by Joe Bloggs

Sure
biggrin.gif

bier.gif

Heh-heh, good one, it's even imported!

Okay, the following is done just for a laugh...

Here's Mike Walker, remixed (sort of "Mike Walker, EQ'd"): Quote:

Originally posted by Mike Walker
Remixed by Dusty Chalk

To answer Atomicarnage, I haven't heard the HD-280 pro. I probably will eventually buy a pair out of curiosity, but doubt they'll replace the 7506 in my studio.

As for knowing that they "clearly kick ass" because of what people have said here, on Headwize, or on the lunar surface, I must emphasize that I don't "know" anything because someone else says it. I "know" things because of my own experiences. Frankly I don't care, and will never change my opinion of a piece of audio gear because of something someone else says. If something sounds right to me, yet everyone else screams that "it's wrong, it's wrong", I will continue to use it and recommend it. You cannot change my mind about how something sounds, or how useful it is with words. I decide these things for myself only based upon what I hear.

I read the forums here primarily for fun. I've got to say, nothing I've read here has ever changed my opinion of how something sounds! I have the confidence in myself to trust my own judgements above those of anyone else.

Apr 6, 2002 at 6:09 AM Post #82 of 93
I just read my own "remix", and I totally destroyed the dynamic range! Sorry about that, Mike, I sort of ran you through a compressor, didn't I? Won't happen again, promise...

Apr 6, 2002 at 7:23 AM Post #83 of 93
Your remix is so boring it puts me to sleep. Meh. Boo! Bad engineer!
biggrin.gif

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Apr 6, 2002 at 2:18 PM Post #84 of 93
kwkarth,

And here are more details about the sound from the Sony v900/7509:

The Sony v900/7509 delivers boomy midbass with little deep-bass extension (the Sony v6/7506 and the Sennheiser HD 280 PRO deliver TRUE deep bass). The upper mids are recessed on the Sony v900/7509, as well; the highs are bright and somewhat tinny/metallic. I can see why the v900/7509 is good enough for listening to a lot of the pop-crap that most young Americans get sucked into - but for any serious music listening, you can do better for less money.
tongue.gif

How's that for a mini-review?
biggrin.gif

Apr 6, 2002 at 3:38 PM Post #85 of 93
That's a good mini-review Eagle!

Apr 6, 2002 at 11:40 PM Post #86 of 93
tongue.gif

And the v900/7509 is part of the so-called "V-CRAP DJ Series" - and if ANYBODY who claims to be an "audiophile" praises the sound of some of the poorer-performing members of that family, I would have to say that "he's been sucked into the DJ-crappophone catterwalling"!
eek.gif

May 28, 2002 at 4:06 AM Post #87 of 93
It is in my belief the bandwith being provided to us by cd and now sacd and dvda is being absolutely wasted by record labels wanting a "loud cut single. So it sounds high energy and good on the raido. The dynamicness of music is being absolutely slaughtered. My sister (bless her ignorant pop roots) has some material which fluctuates no more than 2.5 db along the whole track. Jesus Christ! Whats the point of having high bandwith storage mediums when all that is going to be put on them is Britney Spears.

Side Note: A lot of the information in this thread has been incredibly well said and the knowledge of the members seems to be incredibly high. I congratulate all those who have taken part in it.

May 28, 2002 at 5:43 AM Post #88 of 93
All this talk about how bright the V6 is... Why is it then, that my pair is a lot less trebly than the Senn HD580s... not a hint of shrillness or sibilance to be heard... also, there are mids on my pair... almost as strong as my CD1700... but cleaner... They are my headphone of choice, even though I have pairs that should technically be a lot better...

...and I can, and have A/Bd my results with my other cans... and the reason for the difference? because i've heavily burnt in my V6... I wonder how the HD280 would do against my pair
wink.gif

May 28, 2002 at 6:32 AM Post #89 of 93
Get the 280 pros. I have them and I use the v6 (well, not since I got the 280s) the 280s are much better than the v6, and the v6 is one of my favorite phones.

and the rest of you:

dont hijack his thread!!!
eek.gif
mad.gif
rolleyes.gif

May 28, 2002 at 7:03 AM Post #90 of 93
I have a couple questions for anyone that owns a pair of Beyerdynamic DT-250s...

I purchased a pair of Sennheiser HD 280 PROs about a month ago primarily for DJing. While I have found them to be outstanding for casual listening, there are a couple aspects that bother me:

A. The bass is accurate and goes very deep. However, the deep bass doesn't help me much when DJing. I wish there was a little more emphasis on the upper bass (somewhere in between these and Sony boomyness).

B. I wear -9dB or -15dB musicians earplugs, and I find myself turning up the Senns to the edge of distortion to hear an adequate amount of upper bass.

My questions are:

Beyerdynamic DT-250-80:
Nominal Sound Pressure Level @ 1 kHz: 98dB SPL @ 1 mW = 0.28 V to 80 ohms
Nominal Power Rating: 100mW = 118dB = 2.7 V to 80 ohms

Sennheiser HD 280 PRO:
Characteristic SPL: 113 dB (at 1 kHz/1Vrms)

Given those technical specs, is it possible to determine which headphone can go louder?

I am using an Allen & Heath mixer with a 400mW headphone output. Is that enough to power high impedence headphones?

Thanks for any advice...

nate

Users who are viewing this thread

Back