Recording Impulse Responses for Speaker Virtualization
Jan 3, 2024 at 4:33 PM Post #1,771 of 1,816
Hello guys, i recently recorded the hrir from my old soundcard connected with an audio interface, my only problem is that i hear all the right channels weird, the left is ok, i don't know if is something related to my ears, can you try for yourself and see if that happens to you too? i attached the hrir

you can try this video and hear the 120hz part

or you can try a 5.1 movie or play some games, that way you can almost instantly hear the weid sensation i hear... on the right channels

i tried different recordings and all of them have this uncanny problem in the SR-FR-BR channels, all of them, this problem could be related to something happening to my
this is how i recorded, connected 2 xlr to 3,5mm adapters direcly inside the 3,5mm output of the audio card
1704317148887.png

also, when i record the hrir i see no difference in volume, both left and right channels are equal in the recordings

Attachments

• dh2 79% vol t12 ok.zip
    288.2 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Jan 4, 2024 at 11:09 PM Post #1,773 of 1,816
Can you show your original FL,FR and Headphones file? Or try ReRecord? (Decrease Gain)
I hear a lot of distortions when I turn the volume up. I think something went wrong during the recording step. (i means not clean)

Jan 5, 2024 at 7:24 AM Post #1,774 of 1,816
What I see is that you have no headroom in the file. That looks like the recording is clipped. But I did not notice a clear difference between L and R.
no i meant i recorded the processed hrir from another audio card, the thing i asked isn't related to impulcifer, it's a different thing, there's no headroom file

it's not about clipping or anything, i recorded in many different audio levels, this weird warping audio comes from all the right channels, that's why i asked you guys to try it and see if it's something related to my ears or it's something that indeed is inside the recorded hrir

Can you show your original FL,FR and Headphones file? Or try ReRecord? (Decrease Gain)
I hear a lot of distortions when I turn the volume up. I think something went wrong during the recording step. (i means not clean)
like i said, it's not related to impulcifer, i'm recording the hrir just like the ones in the hesuvi app

can you tell me what distortions do you hear? i'm curious, to my side i'm not listening any distortion other than that warping effect of the right side

Last edited:
Jan 5, 2024 at 9:41 AM Post #1,775 of 1,816
no i meant i recorded the processed hrir from another audio card, the thing i asked isn't related to impulcifer, it's a different thing, there's no headroom file

I'm not talking about impulcifer. I loaded the file in Audacity and it goes up to 0db. So there is 0db headroom.
EQ-APO shows that the sum for the right and left channels is +29db. With multichannel audio this will easily run into clipping.

can you tell me what distortions do you hear? i'm curious, to my side i'm not listening any distortion other than that warping effect of the right side

As mentioned I don't hear a clear difference between the left and right channels. So there is no obvious problem with the file for me. In the attached file I converted a short 7.1 audio sample with EQ-APOs Benchmark using your recorded hrir and my own measurement. Do you hear a "warping" effect?

Attachments

• test.zip
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
Jan 5, 2024 at 11:08 AM Post #1,776 of 1,816
I'm not talking about impulcifer. I loaded the file in Audacity and it goes up to 0db. So there is 0db headroom.
EQ-APO shows that the sum for the right and left channels is +29db. With multichannel audio this will easily run into clipping.
yes, i did it on purpose, i started recording the hrir without going below to 0.5 headroom, after that i tried multiple recordings almost below 0 headroom to see if the warping effect on the right channels was fixed, i also tried to normalize the hrir in audacity like in this guide

There's no problem in clipping because i'm conterbalancing it with the preamp -23db in eqapo, as you can see
1704469151497.png

As mentioned I don't hear a clear difference between the left and right channels. So there is no obvious problem with the file for me. In the attached file I converted a short 7.1 audio sample with EQ-APOs Benchmark using your recorded hrir and my own measurement. Do you hear a "warping" effect?
I'm hearing the warping effect just on the "right surround" test with your test_reter file, the test_musicreo file is ok though

so i should think that something is not right about this hrir, i tried some of the prerecordered hesuvi hrirs and are all ok

if you can listening to some movies and tell me if you hear something weird on the right channels? because i have some frequency hear loss in my left ear so i want to be sure that's not a problem caused by my ears, anyway thanks for the fast reply!

Last edited:
Jan 6, 2024 at 12:39 PM Post #1,778 of 1,816
Last edited:
Jan 6, 2024 at 7:36 PM Post #1,780 of 1,816
that could explain why it sounds better to me and not others. I’m using my tv as a listening device in windows 11, with my headphones plugged in to the tv. I find it sounds better the the fiio DAC.
some dacs have different behaviur in sound, just a slightly bit but it's enough to be heard... the dac inside your tv is probably the one you like most

Jan 7, 2024 at 4:01 AM Post #1,781 of 1,816
I never tried CRU(don't need it), but I remember getting garbage audio in my Realizer after trying to set it to a lower video resolution in the Nvidia settings, where it was seen as a third HDMI monitor. Trying to be clever, I reduced the video resolution(nothing else!!!!) from fear that it would tax my graphic card for nothing. And all hell broke loose on the audio side.

About not keeping any headroom, some DACs have a few DB(basically they don't put 0dB as maximum but at, let's say -3dB so that once oversampled, some of the intersample clipping gets saved). But for the longest time, nobody cared and DACs were excellent up to reaching full scale signal where they would sound like crap, because that way they could show the absolute maximum dynamic range and SNR in their specs. One reason why I always thought the sacred bit perfect with all digital volumes to 100% was a bad audiophile habit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back