Recording Impulse Responses for Speaker Virtualization
Oct 2, 2022 at 3:44 AM Post #1,441 of 1,817
I was wondering if it’s possible to have a section on this forum that is easily accessible for new comers to read the kind of results we end up achieving rather than them having to read through the whole forum which is huge at this point.

It’s a big ask to get someone to invest in mics, speaker(s), time and effort. Also people look for different things and from what I read on here we are all getting quality results (after some effort) be that in stereo music, surround music, gaming watching movies.

The reason I’m bringing this up is because I’m asking people to try it out but there are many people countering by saying it won’t be good as the real thing or that just getting expensive audio gear is better and many people are put off.

If we start the forum with a sticky or something similar that newbies can have first access to after an introduction to impulcifer. It should hopefully drive them to try and achieve what we are trying to convey and express.
The right place for this would be in the Impulcifer wiki. If the good people here could share now all the tips they have for achieving good results and avoiding pit falls, I can compile a summary in the wiki.

Oct 2, 2022 at 4:45 AM Post #1,442 of 1,817
How long and what should we include? Just the things we learned or what were gaining from it and how easy hard it was?how long it took? Maybe if we type a long review type thing you can have them all listed and users can expand to see them full.

If people do start posting their outcomes then I think mine should be near the end because members on here are better at expressing their results.

Here’s mine I can edit if someone has a better template/format or layout or needs to be smaller.

“Imagine audio quality jump similar to vhs video to 4k hdr Blu-ray, its the best way I can express this.
Impulcifer is truly a game changer. After trying the demo and being convinced there was a speaker playing in front of me (grinning with a huge smile having to take off the headphones multiple times to make sure there wasn’t) I had to try and see how far I could take it. I have tried all sorts of options from a cheap surround setup to different headphones to software like Dolby atmos on pc and all hesuvi presets. Whilst they were very good I knew there must be something better. There was always improvement. The options were a high end expensive surround setup. A smyth realiser equally expensive. Or software based solutions that sometime require monthly payments. Then I found this which I’m shocked not many people talk about.

Impulcifer takes time and effort but you soon learn what to do and start getting results. There is a lot of free software to install and set up. But the guide is complete and the headfi forum users offer heaps of help and advice.

The result at the end is mind blowingly good. The sense of invisible speakers around you and the sound space. The clarity in every sound and detail is crisp. You will hear individual rocks behind you in action scenes. People all around you in crowded scenes. Basically a high end surround system but with invisible speakers tuned perfectly for your ears. You don’t even need to go as far as surround even stereo sound is phenomenal.

My tips on starting is to make sure you have at least one good quality speaker. Have a good pair of openback headphones. Make sure the in ear mics don’t move at all when taking measurements. Experiment a lot ask question on the forum. The first couple of successful results were a huge improvement to the alternatives mentioned above and from there you keep tweaking and it gets better.”

Last edited:
Oct 2, 2022 at 7:10 AM Post #1,443 of 1,817
On many occasions where someone discussed "soundstage", or more 3D whatever, I brought up this thread and the Realiser A16 if they're rich enough. This is a great success as you all can see.:thumbsdown:
I believe that they're facing a mental barrier. In people's mind, working hard at their job to get money is an accepted situation, not a fun one but they're already doing it anyway. While audio is the hobby, where we expect to relax and enjoy.
That difference in mindset makes almost everybody ready to spend their hard earned money into gears for the enjoyment that a cool hobby can provide, but it also makes almost everybody allergic to any amount of personal work done directly for the hobby, within the hobby.
It's clearly not a behavior limited to this app.

Oct 4, 2022 at 6:33 PM Post #1,444 of 1,817
The reason I’m bringing this up is because I’m asking people to try it out but there are many people countering by saying it won’t be good as the real thing or that just getting expensive audio gear is better and many people are put off.
you know, people aren't conviced because haven't tried, i see a lot of people not conviced that 4k is much better than fullhd or that the Virtual Reality is very immersive

to be honest, there were only two occasions that i had a mindblowing excitement and incredulity even tho i was experiencing it:

1- the first time i experienced virtual reality with one of the top tier vr in the market
2- impulcifer when i achieved pretty good results

sadly there's a barrier between people and the doubt that stuff like this are a gamechanger: that barrier is called money... even tho impulcifer is not as expensive as a pimax 8kx, it still does cost a 70$ mics+100$ audio interface+150$ single speaker and some setup and trial and errors

i see a lot of people coming to hesuvi because they love the surround sound and they're trying to get the best results even tho they can't do their own measurements so i hope these people can reach the idea that 350$ of stuff to do impulcifer is worth the money

Oct 9, 2022 at 9:40 PM Post #1,446 of 1,817
I was kinda bothered that windows didn’t allow height channels unless using Dolby atmos. Then I came across this video that shows most movies don’t make use of the height channels.

Just thought I’d share in case anyone else was annoyed by this
Hopefully Google's open source version of Atmos takes off (Project Caviar), but I doubt it. In movies, I'm not particularly impressed with most uses of surround in general, but modern games put them to shame and make perfect use of surround. I would really enjoy the inclusion of height channels at some point.

Oct 10, 2022 at 10:37 AM Post #1,447 of 1,817
Hopefully Google's open source version of Atmos takes off (Project Caviar), but I doubt it. In movies, I'm not particularly impressed with most uses of surround in general, but modern games put them to shame and make perfect use of surround. I would really enjoy the inclusion of height channels at some point.

wonder if we can measure some height channels with impulcifer and use them to our liking... obviously not expecting to achieve the same Atmos does, but i think this could help enhance the 7.1

Last edited:
Oct 10, 2022 at 11:01 AM Post #1,448 of 1,817
wonder if we can measure some height channels with impulcifer and use them to our liking... obviously not expecting to achieve the same Atmos does, but i think this could help enhance the 7.1
If something comes out of this Google's project and studios adopt it and there is a workable decoder on Windows, I will add support for height channels in Impulcifer. There's quite many ifs here though...

Oct 10, 2022 at 1:31 PM Post #1,449 of 1,817
If something comes out of this Google's project and studios adopt it and there is a workable decoder on Windows, I will add support for height channels in Impulcifer. There's quite many ifs here though...
Some hope!… I’ll be looking forward to this. Maybe movies won’t have proper height sounds but should help when gaming. But then would that mean doing the measurements again? Oh no!

Nov 8, 2022 at 2:29 PM Post #1,453 of 1,817
I'm not sure if its placebo but I'm getting better surround by using the custom resolution utility and adding LPCM 8 channels audio. Before setting this Mpc HC would show codec output as anything but PCM now it shows PCM as output and I'm noticing better surround. Maybe someone would want to test it.

1.png

Nov 9, 2022 at 12:15 PM Post #1,454 of 1,817
I'm not sure if its placebo but I'm getting better surround by using the custom resolution utility and adding LPCM 8 channels audio. Before setting this Mpc HC would show codec output as anything but PCM now it shows PCM as output and I'm noticing better surround. Maybe someone would want to test it.

1.png
isn't cru stuff related to the monitor? i think the audio format is related to the monitor audio

Nov 28, 2022 at 12:32 AM Post #1,455 of 1,817
20221128_141033.jpg
20221128_141039.jpg
20221128_141041.jpg
20221128_141057.jpg

Inspired by BACCH-BM, I made a new binaural microphone.

The previously used rubber cap was fine, but it pushes the earwax inside and makes me visit the hospital. Discarded.

Instead, I use an etymotic ear tip to hold the Sound Professionals CB900 microphone.

It is comfortably mounted at the entrance of the external ear canal, and is easy to attach and detach.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back