Recording Impulse Responses for Speaker Virtualization
Apr 15, 2022 at 3:19 AM Post #1,217 of 1,817
Why do you use VBCABLE ? I'm able to have (bad) 7.1 to headphone without it, just with eqapo anf hesuvi.
By the way, i found where comes from my "hummm" : if i touch the back of the mics, the two wires, i've got the hummm; Either the earplug touching the back of the mics make a hummm ! Surprisingly if y touche the vxlr with my hand, the humm goes away. So i keep thinking a bad ground ont the mics. Anyway, i will do my measurement keeping the vxlr in my hand to cancel the hummm.

Apr 15, 2022 at 7:59 AM Post #1,221 of 1,817
When I first used hesuvi just for the included hrir’s, only VBCABLE method worked for me. It gives me the 7.1 sound but was wondering if the other methods gave better results somehow.
i used vbcable a lot ago but i don't really remember how it was, hi fi cable is made from the same company vb cable is but you also have asio integrated so i think you get less latency and never got popping
1650023959434.png

you can install both with no issues, you can set which one you prefer

Last edited:
Apr 15, 2022 at 10:21 AM Post #1,222 of 1,817
I deal with the hummm but i've tested as morgin said, with lower levels on headphones and speakers, still have my zigzag. I'm seing that i don't very udertsand what the graph Headphones exactly shows me : is this the frequency answer of my headphones just after headphones measurements command with sine sweep ? If yes is there a command to generate it without having to do the hole process - with speakers" ? I have to eliminate all the possible causes, i would want first separate headphines ad speakers.
And as you can see, this is a portion of headphones.wav, in frequencies where i have zigzags on the headphones graph, and the sinusoid is clean ! I don't uderstand...
sine.jpg

Apr 15, 2022 at 10:41 AM Post #1,223 of 1,817
I deal with the hummm but i've tested as morgin said, with lower levels on headphones and speakers, still have my zigzag. I'm seing that i don't very udertsand what the graph Headphones exactly shows me : is this the frequency answer of my headphones just after headphones measurements command with sine sweep ?
I think it is is the frequency domain of the deconvoluted headphone measurement. So yes it is the frequency response.
If yes is there a command to generate it without having to do the hole process - with speakers" ?
I'm not sure but I think there is no direct option for that in impulcifer. But the hole process just takes some seconds...

Apr 15, 2022 at 10:42 AM Post #1,224 of 1,817
I deal with the hummm but i've tested as morgin said, with lower levels on headphones and speakers, still have my zigzag. I'm seing that i don't very udertsand what the graph Headphones exactly shows me : is this the frequency answer of my headphones just after headphones measurements command with sine sweep ? If yes is there a command to generate it without having to do the hole process - with speakers" ? I have to eliminate all the possible causes, i would want first separate headphines ad speakers.
And as you can see, this is a portion of headphones.wav, in frequencies where i have zigzags on the headphones graph, and the sinusoid is clean ! I don't uderstand...

The headphone graph is generated after you use the --plot , otherwise it shows your previous plot with your previous headphone measurement

So if you want to test the headphones curve you can just do the headphone measurements alone and do the plot command, it generates the headphone graph pretty fast so you don't have to wait the whole process be done, just when you see it generated the new headphone graph just close the command prompt and if it doesn't safisfy try again

I'm doing this over and over trying to perfectionate the curve but damn, my curve shows everytime the right and left raw soooo distant to each other, on other hands @musicreo and @jaakkopasanen graphs are so perfection!

Last edited:
Apr 15, 2022 at 10:52 AM Post #1,225 of 1,817
The headphone graph is generated after you use the --plot , otherwise it shows your previous plot with your previous headphone measurement

So if you want to test the headphones curve you can just do the headphone measurements alone and do the plot command, it generates the headphone graph pretty fast so you don't have to wait the whole process be done, just when you see it generated the new headphone graph just close the command prompt and if it doesn't safisfy try again

I'm doing this over and over trying to perfectionate the curve but damn, my curve shows everytime the right and left raw soooo distant to each other, on other hands @musicreo and @jaakkopasanen graphs are so perfection!
I'm one of the technically weaker posters here, but when I look at the graphs you posted earlier they look quite good to me. The difference line between L and R is maybe 1 dB off. And the plots for each channel also look good. There are several options in the Impulcifer commands to adjust balance. You might be better off trying those than chasing absolute perfect channel balance in the measurement step. Using the balance command options made a huge difference for me. Others who know much more than I do may have a different perspective, which I'd be happy to hear.

Apr 15, 2022 at 12:47 PM Post #1,227 of 1,817

Don't obsess over silly things that might not be important or even a real issue at all.
Unless you place the mics exactly the same way into perfectly symmetrical ears(we don't have that), you won't and really shouldn't get identical measurements.
Then there is the headphone and speakers to consider. It's very common to have a few dB here and there on a headphone, as for speakers, the room and placement can have so much impact(and of course the speakers won't have perfectly identical response either).

What you can look for is if you have global imbalance, because it's very unlikely that your own head or mic insertion would cause something with an even impact at all frequencies. So you should probably compensate for that. But even then, maybe your recording setup has one volume level per channel and they're not well matched? Or maybe your amp has some imbalance caused by the volume pot. So it's still relevant to listen and check if the center image(any mono stuff) is well centered for you subjectively. If it is, that's a really good sign that some things are done well.

On that small sample of a capture without scale it's hard to make a guess, but It looks very clean and stable so it's possibly the 50Hz from your house outlet bleeding into the ADC somehow. Doesn't look like noise picked up by the mic(too clean).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back