Recording Impulse Responses for Speaker Virtualization
Apr 13, 2022 at 8:49 AM Post #1,186 of 1,817
now that you tried both, what do you prefer and how much spacility does mesh2hrtf have compared? i prefer the spaciality and i think impulcifer gives already a clear sound, the disadvantage of course is that it's limited to the room you're doing the measurements so if you're in a room you will have reverb more or less... i think the best way to get the best with impulcifer is measuring outsite, without walls and without noise
Did you do the room correction measurements?

Apr 13, 2022 at 8:50 AM Post #1,187 of 1,817
@jaakkopasanen can we extract the headphone compensation info from impulcifer like the text files we use in hesuvi?

I’m in between impulcifer and mesh2hrtf both have their advantages (impulcifer gives me the spacial sound like the speaker are around me 6ft away. And mesh2hrtf gives me crystal clear sound like I’ve done the measurement in an Anechoic chamber. I want to try and merge the two so I’m getting a perfect hrir.
This is the script I use to generate standalone headphone compensation. Modified from impulcifer, so it should sound the same.

https://1drv.ms/u/s!AqwTOUFQXDBFlHNqm_iBjs1V5NJ_?e=H2flUl

Usage:
1. Copy the file to the root directory of impulcifer where impulcifer.py exists.
2. Edit the dir_path to the folder that stores headphones.wav

1649853698883.png

3. Run python hpeq.py

It will generate a Equalizer APO supported config called geq.txt in dir_path which contains equalization for every channel of the recording.

Edit:

Make sure you're in virtual environment beforehand just like running impulcifer.py
# On Windows
venv\Scripts\activate
# On Mac and Linux
. venv/bin/activate

Last edited:
Apr 13, 2022 at 8:59 AM Post #1,188 of 1,817
I use my hrir just for movies and gaming.

The reverb from impulcifer is not an issue for me I kinda prefer it over the clean mesh2hrtf. Impulcifer gives the better immersion and makes movies feel grande better than a cinema. The clarity on my best measurements is around 80% now that I’ve sampled mesh2hrtf.

Mesh2hrtf just has those extra details that you can hear clearly. The fact you can choose the mic placement and there is no room for error for each sound recording because it's virtual and will give constant results.

I'm torn between the two because each have their own benefits. After using mesh2hrtf for a couple of days I still come back to impulcifer and want to use it.

Spatially mesh2hrtf is just like the Dolby atmos on hesuvi. If I knew how to set virtual speakers in mesh2hrtf I think it would work really well.

Last edited:
Apr 13, 2022 at 9:00 AM Post #1,189 of 1,817
i think the best way to get the best with impulcifer is measuring outsite, without walls and without noise
I don't think so. That way you get a similar effect as measuring in an anechoic room. Some reverb from the room is needed. Most music is produced with playback over speakers in a room in mind. And they monitor that way in the studio. The only problem is that not all rooms are equally suited. To get the best with Impulcifer you should record your HRIRs in a good room, like a studio monitor room.
I want to try and merge the two so I’m getting a perfect hrir.
The headphone compensation is needed to take out the headphone's own sound signature. I don't expect it will (dramatically) change the feeling of distance.
Ideally a HRIR based on pure hrtf should be enhanced by somehow adding a virtual room with some reverb.

Apr 13, 2022 at 9:05 AM Post #1,190 of 1,817
I don't think so. That way you get a similar effect as measuring in an anechoic room. Some reverb from the room is needed. Most music is produced with playback over speakers in a room in mind. And they monitor that way in the studio. The only problem is that not all rooms are equally suited. To get the best with Impulcifer you should record your HRIRs in a good room, like a studio monitor room.

The headphone compensation is needed to take out the headphone's own sound signature. I don't expect it will (dramatically) change the feeling of distance.
Ideally a HRIR based on pure hrtf should be enhanced by somehow adding a virtual room with some reverb.
I used Ambient reverb and it kinda does work. I guess I want the sound coming from around me together but the details coming from the tv and rear speaker to be distinct sources at the same time. If that makes sense and only impulcifer gives me this.

Apr 13, 2022 at 9:09 AM Post #1,191 of 1,817
@jaakkopasanen and @musicreo (for making impulcifer and for the help given) if you can get an iPhone 10 with the app hedges (£7) and get a scan of your head (doesn’t have to be too detailed) and detailed scans of your ears, saving them as .stl in the app. I’ll be willing to do all the blender work for you so you can try. It’s the least I can do.

My first try was with semi good scans and ok mic placement. But I just want you try it out. It generates a .sofa file and @musicreo has a script to convert to hesuvi.wav

I’m not the best with meshmixer and blender but I’ve gotten the hang of it and can do a decent merge so you can sample it.

Last edited:
Apr 13, 2022 at 9:40 AM Post #1,192 of 1,817
This is the script I use to generate standalone headphone compensation. Modified from impulcifer, so it should sound the same.

Usage:
1. Copy the file to the root directory of impulcifer where impulcifer.py exists.

1649853698883.png
3. Run python hpeq.py

It will generate a Equalizer APO supported config called geq.txt in dir_path which contains equalization for every channel of the recording.
thankyou buddy

Apr 13, 2022 at 10:06 AM Post #1,193 of 1,817

Usage:

3. Run python hpeq.py

I'm still not 100% with python when I double click it always flashes and does nothing. I've tried cmd in the address bar to get to the location and typing the
"hpeq.py"
"python hpeq.py"
"python3 hpeq.py"

and

"C:\Windows\System32\Impulcifer>pyhton hpeq.py"

Last edited:
Apr 13, 2022 at 10:48 AM Post #1,194 of 1,817
Spatially mesh2hrtf is just like the Dolby atmos on hesuvi. If I knew how to set virtual speakers in mesh2hrtf I think it would work really well.
There are some "binauraliser" daw plugins for that purpose like the "sparta" shown in his video ,
have You already checked the free "anaglyph"?
Speaker arrangement simulation is one thing, but room simulation the other, we have to find a suitable program for adding reverb.

Apr 13, 2022 at 10:54 AM Post #1,195 of 1,817
I'm still not 100% with python when I double click it always flashes and does nothing. I've tried cmd in the address bar to get to the location and typing the
"hpeq.py"
"python hpeq.py"
"python3 hpeq.py"

and

"C:\Windows\System32\Impulcifer>pyhton hpeq.py"
sorry I didn't make it clear. Perhaps you didn't activate the virtual environment.
1649861424166.png

You should activate the virtual environment beforehand, just like running the impulcifer.py. Make sure the dir_path is correct. And it should generate fig.png and geq.txt in that folder.

Apr 13, 2022 at 11:04 AM Post #1,196 of 1,817
There are some "binauraliser" daw plugins for that purpose like the "sparta" shown in his video ,
have You already checked the free "anaglyph"?
Speaker arrangement simulation is one thing, but room simulation the other, we have to find a suitable program for adding reverb.

I have tried the sparta plugin with EQ-Apo and anaglyph but I really don't know what I'm doing and the seem to crash to when I load my .sofa file. What DAW would you recommend and do I use those alongside hesuvi and EQ-Apo

Apr 13, 2022 at 1:14 PM Post #1,198 of 1,817
Did you do the room correction measurements?
not yet, i should buy the mic... does that help much?

OK GUYS, now it's weird, remember that i had that headroom problem while measuring the headphone? NOW i know why i was having that damn strange noise in the sinusoid! IT'S WHEN I DON'T TOUCH THE SHELL!

When i touch the behringer shell with my hand the sinusoid is PERFECT even with 1db headroom, if i stay away from it, does that weird disturbance; i tried multiple times

VUA7e0k.png

I'm happy that this means that the mics are not broken, but also i'm wondering if this is related to some stuff happening inside the audio interface

Last edited:
Apr 13, 2022 at 1:24 PM Post #1,199 of 1,817
I have tried the sparta plugin with EQ-Apo and anaglyph but I really don't know what I'm doing and the seem to crash to when I load my .sofa file. What DAW would you recommend and do I use those alongside hesuvi and EQ-Apo
I haven't used any daw with anaglyph for an individual sofa file, because I need to create my personal hrtf first.
Thought, sparta should work, because he used it for the sofa file in his video, perhaps he can give us further information.

A daw is needed for a binauralizer plugin to load and apply the personal sofa file, which is the format for hrtfs containing a huge amount of measuring points.
Hesuvi/ eq-apo on the other hand is needed to load your hrir (+hpeq separately), an impulse resonse generated in a specified room with a defined arrangement of speakers.

I guess, many binauralisers allow you to choose an hpeq, because it's essential for the right timbre and authentic sound, so you can go without eq-apo for sofa convolution.

The benefit of an hrtf/ sofa file is it's flexibility allowing you to simulate different locations by adding reverb and changing the speaker arrangement.

Apr 13, 2022 at 2:02 PM Post #1,200 of 1,817
not yet, i should buy the mic... does that help much?

OK GUYS, now it's weird, remember that i had that headroom problem while measuring the headphone? NOW i know why i was having that damn strange noise in the sinusoid! IT'S WHEN I DON'T TOUCH THE SHELL!

When i touch the behringer shell with my hand the sinusoid is PERFECT even with 1db headroom, if i stay away from it, does that weird disturbance; i tried multiple times

I'm happy that this means that the mics are not broken, but also i'm wondering if this is related to some stuff happening inside the audio interface
I mention the room measurements because I don't have an ideal room either. I did those measurements, then used the room options in the command line, and the sound I get in Impulcifer is like being in an ideal recording studio, or in the venue where the recordings were done. Obviously each of our rooms and speaker setups are different, and the room options can't make up for everything, but you may be able to get it much better.

If touching the Behringer is having that much effect it could well be a grounding issue as another poster has reported.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back