Recording Impulse Responses for Speaker Virtualization
Apr 12, 2022 at 7:26 AM Post #1,174 of 1,817
But one thing that worries me is that "humm", a typical sound of ground loop : if the mic touch something, my finger, the earplug, i hear this humm - I monitor it directly to the zoom H5 . Then if i touch the vxlr, the hummm disappear. One mic do this, the other less. Anybody has experimented this ? The humm is not so huge, but i can differentiate it from noise and so if i increase the level of the H5 input do decrease volume, this humm will be more important. My mics are primo EM258. I ve tested pluggin the mics to a little mixing table, same thing.
I encountered the problem too. Solved it by buying new audio jacks and soldering the mics again. not sure what's the exact reason...

Apr 12, 2022 at 9:29 AM Post #1,175 of 1,817
@musicreo i'm stuck with the headphone measurements: if i aim for the headroom, with 3db headroom i get some weird sinusoid, irregular

this is my latest headphone measurement compared to my old measurement with 10db headroom
U1mwmpJ.jpg

should i still aim for headroom or should i stick with the best sinusoid i get?

Apr 12, 2022 at 9:36 AM Post #1,176 of 1,817
@ reter & @ conql
I think this problem sometimes occurs when you use a stereo jack with a mono device; i don't say this is the problem here, but could be. Perhaps i will try soldering mono jack or not soldering one of the stereo plug on the jack

Last edited:
Apr 12, 2022 at 9:54 AM Post #1,177 of 1,817
@musicreo i'm stuck with the headphone measurements: if i aim for the headroom, with 3db headroom i get some weird sinusoid, irregular

this is my latest headphone measurement compared to my old measurement with 10db headroom
U1mwmpJ.jpg

should i still aim for headroom or should i stick with the best sinusoid i get?
I was getting something similar and what @Xam198 said I was using slightly different stereo device with a mono cable

Apr 12, 2022 at 2:29 PM Post #1,181 of 1,817
I was saying his suggestion that using a mono cable with stereo or stereo cable with mono device could be right because I was getting the same jittery peaks and I used a mono cable with a stereo device.
i checked, i plugged all the devices on the behringer so i think that is some distorsion created by the volume being too high? but lowering the volume raises the headroom and rising the mics does nothing... so i'm in a loop, should i keep my headroom high to mantain a good sinusoid but still trying to get the lowest headroom possible?

Last edited:
Apr 13, 2022 at 7:40 AM Post #1,184 of 1,817
@jaakkopasanen can we extract the headphone compensation info from impulcifer like the text files we use in hesuvi?

I’m in between impulcifer and mesh2hrtf both have their advantages (impulcifer gives me the spacial sound like the speaker are around me 6ft away. And mesh2hrtf gives me crystal clear sound like I’ve done the measurement in an Anechoic chamber. I want to try and merge the two so I’m getting a perfect hrir.

Apr 13, 2022 at 8:12 AM Post #1,185 of 1,817
@jaakkopasanen can we extract the headphone compensation info from impulcifer like the text files we use in hesuvi?

I’m in between impulcifer and mesh2hrtf both have their advantages (impulcifer gives me the spacial sound like the speaker are around me 6ft away. And mesh2hrtf gives me crystal clear sound like I’ve done the measurement in an Anechoic chamber. I want to try and merge the two so I’m getting a perfect hrir.

now that you tried both, what do you prefer and how much spacility does mesh2hrtf have compared? i prefer the spaciality and i think impulcifer gives already a clear sound, the disadvantage of course is that it's limited to the room you're doing the measurements so if you're in a room you will have reverb more or less... i think the best way to get the best with impulcifer is measuring outsite, without walls and without noise

Users who are viewing this thread

Back