Recording Impulse Responses for Speaker Virtualization
Apr 9, 2022 at 5:32 PM Post #1,126 of 1,817
I had a lot of reverb with my speaker in one corner of the room and me in the other corner to try and make the distance as large as possible. I found a significant decrease when I used the speaker and sat in the middle of the room with 5-6ft distance.
i don't have 6ft distance from the center sadly, i should try reducing the actual distance of the speaker, also how should the headphone graph be like? the two tests have a very different graph and i don't know in which case it should be better @musicreo can you tell me how i can read the graph? for me the test1 seems better than the test2, am i right?

Last edited:
Apr 9, 2022 at 6:30 PM Post #1,127 of 1,817
i don't have 6ft distance from the center sadly, i should try reducing the actual distance of the speaker, also how should the headphone graph be like? the two tests have a very different graph and i don't know in which case it should be better @musicreo can you tell me how i can read the graph? for me the test1 seems better than the test2, am i right?
For me both graphs look similar. There is no obvious problem with the graphs and everything looks ok. The difference between the channels is also not bad. If you wonder why EQ-APO shows you a different graph that is because that graph is the sum of left or right channels. . Which speaker do you use? They seem to have a lot of energy in the low frequencies as the range between 35-60 Hz is boosted a lot.

Apr 9, 2022 at 7:02 PM Post #1,128 of 1,817
Also, i don't quite like how i hear
For me both graphs look similar. There is no obvious problem with the graphs and everything looks ok. The difference between the channels is also not bad. If you wonder why EQ-APO shows you a different graph that is because that graph is the sum of left or right channels. . Which speaker do you use? They seem to have a lot of energy in the low frequencies as the range between 35-60 Hz is boosted a lot.

yea is indeed boosted a lot and i don't know why, I have the jbl 308p... also there are a lot of spikes that goes up and down, i looked at your graph and looks pretty awesome and without any noticeble spikes... is that the reverb? i should try something else to correct this problem, the decay alone can't help much

My graph is the upper one compared to yours
tpp7FiF.png

Apr 9, 2022 at 8:26 PM Post #1,129 of 1,817
@morgin i read that times ago you asked how to have the stereo audio more "large", i too found that 7.1 when plays stuff in stereo is too much centered even with the hesuvi front slider, doesn't help much... this is why i use ofter 5.1 instead of 7.1 with FL and FR settings more "large"
sRr1NXj.png

this is the only way i found to enjoy the content in stereo without having that tunnel like sound coming only from the front speakers

if there was a way to set the volume of each channel for the upmix content in stereo, would be great, i'd like having the sound coming from all the channels but mostly from the front...

Apr 9, 2022 at 9:33 PM Post #1,130 of 1,817
@morgin i read that times ago you asked how to have the stereo audio more "large", i too found that 7.1 when plays stuff in stereo is too much centered even with the hesuvi front slider, doesn't help much... this is why i use ofter 5.1 instead of 7.1 with FL and FR settings more "large"\

this is the only way i found to enjoy the content in stereo without having that tunnel like sound coming only from the front speakers

if there was a way to set the volume of each channel for the upmix content in stereo, would be great, i'd like having the sound coming from all the channels but mostly from the front...
I'd like to help, but I don't have knowledge of acoustic science or the technical aspects of Impulcifer or HeSuVI/EQ-APO to suggest specific fixes. I can only describe what I did and what I hear. I only did stereo measurements of my speakers with the binaural mics in my ears, and room measurements with a UMIK-1 positioned at the location of each ear. My speakers were about 7 ft in front of me and about 7 ft apart, so the traditional triangle. I also only use the "Stereo" settings in HeSuVi. But the imaging and soundstage I hear with Impulcifer is what's in the recordings. Some literally fill half the room in front of me, nearly 180 degrees wide, others are just the individual instruments as they would be realistically positioned. Width, height and depth vary greatly, depending on the recording. I understand that stereo recordings can be played back using a multi-channel simulation, which may be what you're after to expand the soundstage wider than what's in the recording. But if you want the imaging to be more true to what's in the recordings I think the answer is in how the measurements are done and the positioning of the speakers. I'm sure others can offer more precise technical options, but just wanted to offer my experience.

Apr 9, 2022 at 11:53 PM Post #1,131 of 1,817
@morgin i read that times ago you asked how to have the stereo audio more "large", i too found that 7.1 when plays stuff in stereo is too much centered even with the hesuvi front slider, doesn't help much... this is why i use ofter 5.1 instead of 7.1 with FL and FR settings more "large"
sRr1NXj.png

To be honest I tried those sliders and to my ears I couldn’t hear the difference. But the recording I got now makes it feel surround around the walls of my room. Even the rear speakers feel a distance away. As @lowdown said it’s all down to the stuff that you’re listening to. Some sound far and wide, some things closer especially in movies… 1917, avatar sounds amazing with distinct sounds in many directions, other movies sound closer like Dolby preset in hesuvi.

Last edited:
Apr 10, 2022 at 2:18 AM Post #1,132 of 1,817
The --Target level was specifically added to be able have over 0 dB gain. That of course risks clipping but it's unlikely with 7ch BRIRs as the level shown is the sum of all channels for left or right ear. Unless of course you go way above 0 dB. I personally have the target level at 10 dB and have never heard clipping. 10 dB should not make the impulse responses clip in 7ch BRIRs because what you have is 4+ channels summed so >12 dB gain from the summing itself.

More flexible method is of course to do this in EqualizerApo with preamp filter but that means you can't rely only on HeSuVi.

Apr 10, 2022 at 2:21 AM Post #1,133 of 1,817
Actually the only thing i'm struggling at the moment is the reverb. i tried the decay value that i think won't h+go under 200, i was 1m80cm from the speaker when i recorded which is me almost near the wall, and the speaker almost to the other side of the wall, i think i should try to record with the speaker closer, i don't know
Definitely try sitting closer to the speaker. The further you are, the higher is the reverb level going to be relative to the direct sound. This is different from decay time and cannot be controlled in Impulcifer but is easy to do with distance to the speaker.

Apr 10, 2022 at 5:23 AM Post #1,134 of 1,817
yea is indeed boosted a lot and i don't know why, I have the jbl 308p... also there are a lot of spikes that goes up and down, i looked at your graph and looks pretty awesome and without any noticeble spikes... is that the reverb?
My graph is with room correction up to 750Hz and you can't compare it with your graph up to that frequency. The spikes in this frequency regime are room modes and will vary a lot depending on your position in the room.
i should try something else to correct this problem, the decay alone can't help much
Like jaakkopasanen suggested decrease the distance to your speaker. When you sit close to a wall you will have reflections from that wall that will be hard to separate from the direct soundwave.

Apr 10, 2022 at 6:13 AM Post #1,136 of 1,817
The --Target level was specifically added to be able have over 0 dB gain. That of course risks clipping but it's unlikely with 7ch BRIRs as the level shown is the sum of all channels for left or right ear. Unless of course you go way above 0 dB. I personally have the target level at 10 dB and have never heard clipping. 10 dB should not make the impulse responses clip in 7ch BRIRs because what you have is 4+ channels summed so >12 dB gain from the summing itself.

More flexible method is of course to do this in EqualizerApo with preamp filter but that means you can't rely only on HeSuVi.
I remembered wrong. The target level doesn't set the peak but the average level and therefore negative values should be used. The purpose of this parameter is to ensure different measurements are equally loud for more fair comparison.

Apr 10, 2022 at 9:29 AM Post #1,138 of 1,817
Done my test 3, i moved my speaker close to the corner so i could have more space and be in the center, the results are good compared to the previous test with me close to the right wall, in fact now i don't hear the sound being mostly from the left like the test 2 hrir, but it's less convincing in terms of real room listening, is this due to the speaker being in the corner?

Apr 10, 2022 at 12:58 PM Post #1,139 of 1,817
Done my test 3, i moved my speaker close to the corner so i could have more space and be in the center, the results are good compared to the previous test with me close to the right wall, in fact now i don't hear the sound being mostly from the left like the test 2 hrir, but it's less convincing in terms of real room listening, is this due to the speaker being in the corner?
Can only suggest freely experimenting. Did you try using some of the balance command line options to help with that "sound being mostly from the left"? I've seen some posters say they got the measurements so close between L and R that they didn't need balance options, but I tried many combinations and got my balance perfected with command options rather than more measurement or speaker adjustments. There are obviously many variables and I think it just takes trial and error to get great results.

Apr 10, 2022 at 1:04 PM Post #1,140 of 1,817
To be honest I tried those sliders and to my ears I couldn’t hear the difference. But the recording I got now makes it feel surround around the walls of my room. Even the rear speakers feel a distance away. As @lowdown said it’s all down to the stuff that you’re listening to. Some sound far and wide, some things closer especially in movies… 1917, avatar sounds amazing with distinct sounds in many directions, other movies sound closer like Dolby preset in hesuvi.
Morgin, how do you play the film : vlc, mpc-hc.. ? Are they mkv file in 7.1 ? What is the audio configuration of the player (outputing 7.1 channels ?) , of windows playback device and of Hesivu whan you play the film ?
Thanks !

Users who are viewing this thread

Back