Record Temperature in Seattle - 103 degrees
Jul 30, 2009 at 3:54 PM Post #31 of 51
Restocked the popsicles. Little Poppa and I are ready for the heat.

Jul 30, 2009 at 3:56 PM Post #32 of 51
Here in Kansas City, it has been the rainiest, most overcast, and coolest summer (SO FAR!!!) I can ever remember. Everything is incredibly green here for late July. Sorry about your triple digits.

Jul 30, 2009 at 5:18 PM Post #33 of 51
We bought AC for our house 8 years ago. Everyone said we were crazy and were wasting our money. But it was worth it, and this week has been no exception. We had the neighborhood over last night to chill out and eat ice cream.

It peaked at 106 where I live (east of Mill Creek). I checked when I went to bed at 1am and it was still 85. Wow!

Jul 31, 2009 at 6:09 AM Post #34 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by BIG POPPA /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Restocked the popsicles. Little Poppa and I are ready for the heat.

Sounds cool. I need to stock up on the Otter Pops.
normal_smile .gif

Jul 31, 2009 at 6:12 AM Post #35 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by bgstern /img/forum/go_quote.gif
We bought AC for our house 8 years ago. Everyone said we were crazy and were wasting our money. But it was worth it, and this week has been no exception. We had the neighborhood over last night to chill out and eat ice cream.

It peaked at 106 where I live (east of Mill Creek). I checked when I went to bed at 1am and it was still 85. Wow!

I envy you. I assume you mean central air cooling. I have a nice 15K BTU portable unit, but it can only cool one room. Would love to have the same cool temperature all over the house.

Jul 31, 2009 at 3:28 PM Post #36 of 51
You have to get the slow melt popsicles. The actually make them. We have some with the Ice Age animals on the box.

Jul 31, 2009 at 3:56 PM Post #37 of 51
I feel for you guys up there. I am an old desert rat but spent years in Alaska and adjusted to the cold up there just fine. Even Alaska is seeing 80's which even I would have hated when living there. I am now back in the desert and re-adjusted. Yesterday was 112 with a heat index of 118. Of course that is only about 10 degrees over normal for this area and not nearly as bad as the Northwest extreme.

Jul 31, 2009 at 6:45 PM Post #38 of 51
I've never seen temperatures in Vancouver like this ever. My work has AC at least but my house doesn't, although I'm closer to the mountains so it's a bit cooler there than in the centre of the city.

It's only a problem when I try to go to sleep, otherwise it's manageable.

We recently had the entire 1st floor redone due to a flood, including replacing the furnace, and we decided not to get central AC because we thought there would be no way that temperatures would get this high.
rolleyes.gif

Jul 31, 2009 at 7:15 PM Post #39 of 51
It's just crazy. Record heat in the NW, record droughts in the south/sw, second coldest summer on record here in the northeast.

We'll probably have the deniers with us always, but imho it's more than a little coincidental that all these kinds of effects are exactly what's predicted by GW models (along with increased hurricane intensity, which we've also been seeing), and it appears to be exactly what we're getting.

Jul 31, 2009 at 9:21 PM Post #41 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by Clincher09 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Aw, I planned on moving to Seattle because I thought it would be mostly cold and rainy all year. Now where am I supposed to live?

I haven't seen any record high posts from anyone in San Francisco. Unless it's changed since the last time I was there, it's definitely cool, if not rainy all the time.

I believe Samuel Clemens said something about the coldest winter he could remember was the summer he spent in San Francisco.

Jul 31, 2009 at 9:24 PM Post #42 of 51
Living in Florida I'm used to the heat. I lived in Seattle some years ago, but anything approaching 100 degrees is just outrageously hot. I can just imagine Pioneer Sq in this heat! Try to stay cool, all.

Aug 1, 2009 at 7:17 AM Post #44 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by kydsid /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I feel for you guys up there. I am an old desert rat but spent years in Alaska and adjusted to the cold up there just fine. Even Alaska is seeing 80's which even I would have hated when living there. I am now back in the desert and re-adjusted. Yesterday was 112 with a heat index of 118. Of course that is only about 10 degrees over normal for this area and not nearly as bad as the Northwest extreme.

Yup...speaking as another Alaskan, Fairbanks (Central Alaska) is known to hit the 80s during the summer, and right now is experiencing temperatures encroaching on 90 which is really starting to aggravate the population. Mad props to the PNW residents dealing with 100+ temperatures. I don't think I'd be able to bear it...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back