Record Player Cartridge and Needle Replacement Help
Jun 1, 2017 at 3:53 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

rtim

New Head-Fier
For my first thread, here's something i hope is not to difficult.

About 3 years ago, i bought a rare 60s all in one portable record player for $50 not working and for awhile,
i was using an 80s kids player but the sound was not what i was looking for but the straw that broke the camel's back was, it was unrepairable, i have ordered some NOS tubes and now need a replacement cartridge and needle but don't know what to get them,

Old cartridge model: Astatic Mod 142
Old needle model: Astatic N72

I want get something new and of quality but on budget of 100 or less CAD, the tubes are the pre-circuit board kind and the player has a built in adjustable AMP, so.. sound is going to matter a lot.

PS, if you're wondering, this "portable" weighs about 51 pounds and if i remove the built in speakers, its about 49 pounds.

Jun 1, 2017 at 4:20 AM Post #2 of 8
Does the turntable have all the proper adjustments like tracking force, anti skating etc...

If not, I would recommend not using it, as it will wear out your records, and saving up to purchase a new table.

Jun 1, 2017 at 7:30 PM Post #3 of 8
it dose have some balancing features but i'm going to need a new one, yesterday i was working on it for 2 hours and i found out that its missing parts, the spring are doing there job but its missing its counterweight and not lifting up at the end of the record, considering in about 50 years old and how rare it is, finding new one is next to impossible, so the next thing i want to ask, what the best turntable under 320 CAD?, i have looked but the opinions on whats good and whats bad is vary mixed on the net.

I prefer analog over digital
a built in AMP would be nice
i want to do some archival work with some of the rarer records, so way to connect it to my PC (windows 10) would be nice

after reading some of the posts on the site i know i can trust the people on the site, after all, if i listened my dad, i would be buying one of those over priced ($340) all in one CD, cassette and record player systems from Walmart or something from Crosley.

Jun 2, 2017 at 1:39 AM Post #5 of 8
it dose have some balancing features but i'm going to need a new one, yesterday i was working on it for 2 hours and i found out that its missing parts, the spring are doing there job but its missing its counterweight and not lifting up at the end of the record, considering in about 50 years old and how rare it is, finding new one is next to impossible, so the next thing i want to ask, what the best turntable under 320 CAD?, i have looked but the opinions on whats good and whats bad is vary mixed on the net.

I prefer analog over digital
a built in AMP would be nice
i want to do some archival work with some of the rarer records, so way to connect it to my PC (windows 10) would be nice

after reading some of the posts on the site i know i can trust the people on the site, after all, if i listened my dad, i would be buying one of those over priced ($340) all in one CD, cassette and record player systems from Walmart or something from Crosley.

Not a lot around for your budget, remember you'll need a phono pre-amp unless your integrated amp has one built in.

I was going to suggest the project debut carbon as that's what I have but it's way over your budget. So something like this will be fine:

https://www.planetofsoundonline.com/collections/turntables/products/pro-ject-primary

Jun 2, 2017 at 4:21 AM Post #6 of 8
Not a lot around for your budget, remember you'll need a phono pre-amp unless your integrated amp has one built in.

I was going to suggest the project debut carbon as that's what I have but it's way over your budget. So something like this will be fine:

https://www.planetofsoundonline.com/collections/turntables/products/pro-ject-primary
thanks so much, did a bit of looking around and look at this: https://www.amazon.com/Pro-Ject-Primary-Phono-Turntable-Black/dp/B01CZW85WA?th=1

now whats a good cheap it will do for now pre-amp?

PS, i hope i don't bossy

Jun 2, 2017 at 4:31 AM Post #7 of 8
thanks so much, did a bit of looking around and look at this: https://www.amazon.com/Pro-Ject-Primary-Phono-Turntable-Black/dp/B01CZW85WA?th=1

now whats a good cheap it will do for now pre-amp?

PS, i hope i don't bossy

Yep that's the same as I posted just above, will be a great starter turntable, although I linked to the non USB version.

Do you need the USB port? If not I would save the extra $50 and us it towards the below phono preamp

As for a phono pre-amp, this looks pretty good (I have not used it, I use an iFi Audio iPhono):
https://www.amazon.com/U-Turn-Audio...&qid=1496392050&sr=1-11&keywords=phono+preamp

Last edited:
Jun 3, 2017 at 3:16 AM Post #8 of 8
well here the player i got, its the SL-6 by Technics, its from 1982 and its fully restored by the seller, i was sold after i found this video, i got this rare system for 270 and it comes with the power cord, RCA cables, ground wire and " a copy of the owners manual", i think i will still need a pre-amp and the seller probably put low ended Technics cartridge as the replacement, so an upgrade is likely in the future (dose anyone know of real good T4P plug aka P Mount cartridge)

PS. thanks to everyone that replied, theirs a lot of places on the internet that would tell a newbie like me off

Users who are viewing this thread

Back