Recommended Headphone pairings with Magna 3/Modi 2
Mar 3, 2018 at 1:42 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

500+ Head-Fier
Knowledgeable Schitt Magna3 owners: what in the reasonably priced ($400 or so) full sized cans category really plays nice with a Modi 2 / Magna 3 stack? I’ve got one the way and thought I might as well see what people recommend in phones. My personal preferences:

My favorite headphones are my isine10s without the cypher cable. I like the slightly warm, open, detailed, and clear sound so much that frankly I don’t enjoy my ATH-MSR7 or my Master & Dynamic anymore. Weirdly, I listened to a pair of LCD-2s a few years ago and wasn’t impressed. Don’t know if it was me or the phones. Anyway, I definitely prefer open cans and I probably like Planar magnetics though pretty limited experience. I value clarity and detail and am not a fan of muddy or loose bass. On the treble end I’m ok with being slightly dark, but want the resolution and accuracy.

I listen to a pretty wide range of music from Gregorian chants to Jazz to Jam bands, currently there’s a lot of Dopapod and Medeski, Martin & Wood in the mix.

I’ve read good things about the hifiman HE400i. Good choice for my tastes?

Thanks,

Will

Last edited:
Mar 3, 2018 at 6:00 AM Post #2 of 6
I’m a little surprised you didn’t like the LCD2 because it seems to fit what you’re looking for. What amp was driving them when you tried them?
Where they prefazor by any chance?

Mar 3, 2018 at 12:02 PM Post #3 of 6
I’m a little surprised you didn’t like the LCD2 because it seems to fit what you’re looking for. What amp was driving them when you tried them?
Where they prefazor by any chance?

After I posted, I read the LCD2 thread and realized they might not have been getting enough power. I was using my Teac HA50 plugged into an iPhone or possibly just the iPhone. My recollection was the bass was weak and flat. I suspect they were not pre fazor, but I didn’t know enough to check at the time.

Last edited:
Mar 3, 2018 at 12:46 PM Post #4 of 6
After I posted, I read the LCD2 thread and realized they might not have been getting enough power. I was using my Teac HA50 plugged into an iPhone or possibly just the iPhone. My recollection was the bass was weak and flat. I suspect they were not pre fazor, but I didn’t know enough to check at the time.
That could be. The LCD2s scale really well. I recently picked up the Ragnarok and it’s by far the best I’ve ever heard them.

Mar 3, 2018 at 2:16 PM Post #5 of 6
That could be. The LCD2s scale really well. I recently picked up the Ragnarok and it’s by far the best I’ve ever heard them.

While I suspect I’d like the LCD2 with the Magni3, it’s really more than I want to spend. Even used they’re well above my budget. Not to say I’d never spend that much on a pair of phones, but not right now.

In any case, I live in a frozen wasteland (Alaska) and there is no chance I’m going to be able to test drive them again without traveling 1500 miles

Last edited:
Mar 3, 2018 at 3:17 PM Post #6 of 6
While I suspect I’d like the LCD2 with the Magni3, it’s really more than I want to spend. Even used they’re well above my budget. Not to say I’d never spend that much on a pair of phones, but not right now.

In any case, I live in a frozen wasteland (Alaska) and there is no chance I’m going to be able to test drive them again without traveling 1500 miles
Yes. That would be a good pairing. I have the Magni 2 and that goes well with it.

Even used you’d have a hard time finding one for that price. The 2 classic might be a little too warm.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back