Recommended desktop DAC and amp (or whether I need them at all)
Aug 4, 2015 at 11:02 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 53

ggarrawa

New Head-Fier
Hi gang.

Just wanted a quick recommendation for a desktop DAC and amp for listening to flac via foobar2000.

I currently use my Sennheiser Momentum Over Ears, and I'm just wondering what the first step up from this is in terms of using a DAC/amp. Realistically, would I see much of a difference, or would I need to look at upgrading headphones first?

Regards.
- Glenn

Aug 4, 2015 at 11:04 PM Post #2 of 53
It's worth noting that I am a n00b with this stuff, so any advice would be greatly appreciated. Not looking to go all out with equipment, just looking for some improvement.

Aug 4, 2015 at 11:09 PM Post #3 of 53
There are also some portable options, if that appeals to you. A cheap beginning option would be something like the Schiit Fulla, Fiio portable DAC/amps, etc. How much were you wanting to spend?

Aug 4, 2015 at 11:19 PM Post #4 of 53
I was eyeing off a Fiio E10K as a starting point. Not really a portable option, but given I really only listen to music with the computer as the source, it's probably not a bad choice.

That probably gives you an idea of the price bracket as well.

Aug 4, 2015 at 11:39 PM Post #6 of 53
Good call on the Schiit Fulla, I hadn't seen that mentioned before, looks to be exactly what I'm after.

Are there any other viable options in that price range or just above?

Aug 4, 2015 at 11:40 PM Post #7 of 53
The MOMENTUM isn't good enough to bother buying an amp and/or DAC for it. Upgrade your headphones first to get a much greater improvement. (You can begin your research at the Head-Fi Buying Guide.) I speak from experience. Most easy to drive headphones don't improve much or at all with amps and DACs. I tested with and without a Schiit stack (Magni 2 Uber and Modi 2) and did not hear a difference with many headphones. Of course, if your computer's onboard sound isn't very good, all bets are off. The Schiit Fulla (which I also owned) is definitely a great value if you want an easy-to-manage amp/DAC.

Aug 5, 2015 at 1:15 AM Post #9 of 53
  Thanks for the advice, I'll keep that in mind. So you think a headphone upgrade would be more beneficial? If so could you advise a couple of options?

Yes, absolutely. What are your requirements? Total budget? Preferred sound signature? Do you need closed or open, or does it not matter? Do you need a detachable cable? Does it need to be portable at all or are you okay with something you can only listen to at home?

Aug 5, 2015 at 2:06 AM Post #10 of 53
  The MOMENTUM isn't good enough to bother buying an amp and/or DAC for it. Upgrade your headphones first to get a much greater improvement. (You can begin your research at the Head-Fi Buying Guide.) I speak from experience. Most easy to drive headphones don't improve much or at all with amps and DACs. I tested with and without a Schiit stack (Magni 2 Uber and Modi 2) and did not hear a difference with many headphones. Of course, if your computer's onboard sound isn't very good, all bets are off. The Schiit Fulla (which I also owned) is definitely a great value if you want an easy-to-manage amp/DAC.

+1

Aug 5, 2015 at 2:48 AM Post #11 of 53
Wow, I need to do some research!!! 
biggrin.gif

I really liked the old Denon AH-D1100s I bought a while back, they were awesome until the creaking forks relegated them to backup duty. Something with a little (not overpowering) low-end kick but relatively accurate mid/highs. Price point will obviously determine how close I get. I basically want to listen to music the way it was intended, I can use the EQ to stuff around if I'm not happy with that.

When replacing the AH-D1100s I was eyeing off the big brother, the AH-D2000s, but at the time they were out of my price range and now they're discontinued. I can probably find a pair for around $250-$300 USD, so that'd likely be my budget.

Aug 5, 2015 at 11:35 AM Post #12 of 53
  Wow, I need to do some research!!! 
biggrin.gif

I really liked the old Denon AH-D1100s I bought a while back, they were awesome until the creaking forks relegated them to backup duty. Something with a little (not overpowering) low-end kick but relatively accurate mid/highs. Price point will obviously determine how close I get. I basically want to listen to music the way it was intended, I can use the EQ to stuff around if I'm not happy with that.

When replacing the AH-D1100s I was eyeing off the big brother, the AH-D2000s, but at the time they were out of my price range and now they're discontinued. I can probably find a pair for around $250-$300 USD, so that'd likely be my budget.

My personal favorite in that price range is the Yamaha HPH-MT220. It also happens to be my favorite non-electrostat regardless of price.

Aug 5, 2015 at 12:39 PM Post #13 of 53
Hmmm, I found the Momentum 1.0 on ears in particular scales very well with amplification-I thought it sounded like absolute crap without it. With amplification it sounds very very good and like a different headphone, so I'd suggest getting an amp/dac before you go and buy new headphones, because the ones you have already may be satisfactory.

Momentum 2.0 seems to have solved the problem of sounding like crap unamped and more importantly-on headphone racks in stores where it was getting crushed by unamped all-stars like Beats and Monster.

As mentioned before Schiit Fulla is pretty good, E10k is also good, but I think a Cayin C6 is extremely good in the $200 range. Schiit Magni/Modi stack is also great if you don't want portability.

Aug 5, 2015 at 6:47 PM Post #14 of 53
OK thanks for the advice. Mine are the original Momentums, it's good to hear from someone with first-hand experience.

I'll do some further research on a DAC/amp, I reckon I'll go down this path at some point anyway so it's a good place to start.

Having said all that, I can feel a separate "what headphone to buy" thread coming up... 
jecklinsmile.gif

Aug 5, 2015 at 8:54 PM Post #15 of 53
I'm guessing you're just listening through your standard motherboard audio? Does it get loud enough to make you uncomfortable? A small DAC/amp is probably worth the investment, especially if you want to upgrade as well to something more revealing. A clean source at this point should be the priority.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back