Recommended amp for an AKG 702?
Jul 16, 2012 at 4:00 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

DocLiffich

New Head-Fier
Hi guys,

I'm relatively new at this whole audiophile gig and was looking into purchasing a pair of AKG702s for myself after having done some research and deciding they might fit my needs well. However these guys need an amp to reach their full potential which has me somewhat stuck. Does anyone have a recommendation for a portable amp suitable for these cans that would be less then $100? I'm considering the Fiio E11, but I'm unsure if it's appropriate for these headphones as my knowledge on amps is pretty minimal. any help is much appreciated!

Jul 16, 2012 at 9:40 PM Post #2 of 11
Quote:
Hi guys,
I'm relatively new at this whole audiophile gig and was looking into purchasing a pair of AKG702s for myself after having done some research and deciding they might fit my needs well. However these guys need an amp to reach their full potential which has me somewhat stuck. Does anyone have a recommendation for a portable amp suitable for these cans that would be less then $100? I'm considering the Fiio E11, but I'm unsure if it's appropriate for these headphones as my knowledge on amps is pretty minimal. any help is much appreciated!

A portable one right, you didnt' specify and this is the portable section so I'll assume

I have the Q701 and had the E17, the E17 has more power than the E11 by a tiny bit and the E17 had just enough power for them, FiiOs are musical but not really that accurate, buying a desktop amp would be better as Q/K701 or K702 aren't that portable.

For a desktop amp, I would recommend the O2, try to get one for about $100 if you can. The O2's work extremely well and compliment the Q701's on some songs. Personally I would rather have musical enjoyment than clean complimentation so I prefer the NFB 12.1 to the O2 a lot.

"Welcome to head fi! Sorry about your wallet!"

Jul 17, 2012 at 12:37 AM Post #3 of 11
yeah you were spot on about the portable amp, and the lack of portability with the 702s. Looking into a desktop amp would definitely be a good idea, I'll have to do some research and take a look at the products you've mentioned. thanks a bunch for the info!

Jul 17, 2012 at 12:41 AM Post #4 of 11
Quote:
yeah you were spot on about the portable amp, and the lack of portability with the 702s. Looking into a desktop amp would definitely be a good idea, I'll have to do some research and take a look at the products you've mentioned. thanks a bunch for the info!

You're welcome, providing info like what DAC you have, what amp, music genres and what not can aid you if you provide it here!

The O2 is a good amp for the AKG's but depending on your genres may not work as well as say another.

Also what DAC if any are you using right now(you are using one of course, but an external one I mean(or onboard dedicated sound card)?

What genre's do you like and provide some artists please!

Jul 17, 2012 at 1:03 AM Post #5 of 11
Quote:
You're welcome, providing info like what DAC you have, what amp, music genres and what not can aid you if you provide it here!

The O2 is a good amp for the AKG's but depending on your genres may not work as well as say another.

Also what DAC if any are you using right now(you are using one of course, but an external one I mean(or onboard dedicated sound card)?

What genre's do you like and provide some artists please!

+1

Jul 17, 2012 at 1:13 AM Post #7 of 11
Quote:
I need a nickname for you, hmm. James? ProGro? Gorrilla man? I'll think of one.

Sure 
biggrin.gif

Jul 17, 2012 at 3:53 PM Post #9 of 11
As far as a DAC goes I don't have anything crazy, I mostly listen to music off an IPod classic (whatever the most recent generation is) or my laptop. When it comes to music though, I listen to pretty much everything; indie rock, folk, classic rock, hip hop, jazz, soul, funk, electronic music, classical, ambient, lo-fi. Some bands would be Radiohead, Aphex Twin, Neutral Milk Hotel, The Beatles, Madvillain, and Fleet Foxes. I don't actually have an amp of any kind yet either so this will be my first amp purchase as well haha. I've already got a pair of grado SR80is that I love and some Etymotic ER4Ps, I'm just looking for a pair of headphones that are a bit higher end, but I do worry about the lack of warmth with the AKGs and the amp requirement .

Jul 17, 2012 at 4:19 PM Post #10 of 11
Quote:
As far as a DAC goes I don't have anything crazy, I mostly listen to music off an IPod classic (whatever the most recent generation is) or my laptop. When it comes to music though, I listen to pretty much everything; indie rock, folk, classic rock, hip hop, jazz, soul, funk, electronic music, classical, ambient, lo-fi. Some bands would be Radiohead, Aphex Twin, Neutral Milk Hotel, The Beatles, Madvillain, and Fleet Foxes. I don't actually have an amp of any kind yet either so this will be my first amp purchase as well haha. I've already got a pair of grado SR80is that I love and some Etymotic ER4Ps, I'm just looking for a pair of headphones that are a bit higher end, but I do worry about the lack of warmth with the AKGs and the amp requirement .

The AKG Q701's are in a sense warmer than most may say but the Q/K701 and K702 are reference class headphones.

The amp requirement isn't large but getting a desktop one would probably be better, but honestly, as you listen to a wide range of people and have a tight budget, an O2 would be best, however a DAC would be very good for use.

Jul 17, 2012 at 11:17 PM Post #11 of 11
Yeah you do make a good point, reference headphones aren't exactly built for warmth but they still should be nice. I'll take a look at the O2 and see what I can do, thanks a bunch for the welcome and the help!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back