Recommendations on DJ Headphones
Nov 27, 2007 at 4:49 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

Whattf

New Head-Fier
Hey guys I was told this is the place to go to find out about headphones. So this is my first post, so don't try to flame me too much. Anyways I'm trying to find some top end DJ headphones (around the $200 mark). Right now I am using some Sennheiser HD-280 Pros for DJing and at low volumes the low end seems a bit muddy while better at high volumes I'm still not too keen about loosing my hearing just so I can mix the two tracks. The two tracks i'm mixing will seem to be right on in the headphones but when they come out of my master the tracks aren't mixed as well as when in the headphones. I have used my other pair of headphones Sennheiser HD 555s and it seems accurate to what my monitors are putting out. However my 555s I can't take to gigs with me because they are open headphones and don't have any sound isolation. So I am trying to find something that I can replace my 280s. I have heard that the Sennheiser 25 MK2s are really good, and the Sony MDR-7506 are really good too. So those are the two i'm currently looking into but I haven't been able to find a place that I just listen to all the different headphones so I am turning to you guys for some help. So what type of headphone is the best for DJing?

Equipment:
2x CDJ-800 Mk2s
1x Gemini CS-02 Mixer (its crap I know)
2x Alesis 620 M1 Active Monitors
1x Sennheiser HD-280 Pro (i'm not too keen on these)
1x Sennheiser HD 555 (I like these but don't provide enough sound isolation, I usually only use these for music Production)

Thanks for any input.

Nov 27, 2007 at 5:04 AM Post #3 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by jewman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Check out the Ultrasone DJ1 (which is a modified hfi-550)
It can be found for less than $200 on eBay. There might also be some reviews on Head-fi.

Hmmm I have heard good things about those too, however I am a bit leary about buying things off of eBay. How do those compare with the Pro model?

Nov 27, 2007 at 11:14 AM Post #5 of 18
i vote for AKG K81dj, Senn HD25 SP/I or Equation Audio RP-21...
wink.gif

Nov 27, 2007 at 1:13 PM Post #6 of 18
I would recommend HD25's. I got a pair recently for DJing and general use and I love them. They are an excellent all round performer and very durable.

Nicholas

Nov 27, 2007 at 1:38 PM Post #7 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by NMB /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I would recommend HD25's. I got a pair recently for DJing and general use and I love them. They are an excellent all round performer and very durable.

x2

The Sennheiser HD25-1 is most likely one of the best headphones for DJing. I have used one for an extended period of time and I haven't been disappointed.

Nov 27, 2007 at 2:57 PM Post #9 of 18
i have senn hd215 which i like-can be found for anout 80.00-

Nov 27, 2007 at 4:17 PM Post #10 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by jewman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Check out the Ultrasone DJ1 (which is a modified hfi-550)
It can be found for less than $200 on eBay. There might also be some reviews on Head-fi.

The DJ1's only retail for 169.

Nov 27, 2007 at 6:21 PM Post #12 of 18
Sennheiser HD-25's.

Have used technics RPDH-1200, swivel joints fell apart in 3 months. Not to mention how heavy they were.

Sennheisers: great design, you would have a hard time breaking these if u tried, probably one of the best in sound quality in DJ phones, can mix with highs, mids, lows. They are also very light.

Nov 27, 2007 at 6:52 PM Post #13 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by arteom /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Have used technics RPDH-1200, swivel joints fell apart in 3 months. Not to mention how heavy they were.

Couldn't agree with you more, but to the OP, do not confuse the RPDH-1200's with the RPDJ-1200's

Also, ask some others in the business what they're using when they spin, or just be sure to check what the DJ is using before you're too partied out to notice.

Dec 13, 2007 at 2:21 AM Post #14 of 18
Cool guys, based off of your comments I went with my initial thought and got the Senn HD-25s Mk2. My initial reaction is these things kick ass even if they look like they were made by a 10 year old. They sound really good, with the lows and highs just a touch exaggerated. Now I just have to wait for them to burn in.

Dec 13, 2007 at 4:48 AM Post #15 of 18
my question is...why o why are you asking this on an audiophile forum man? There are plenty of DJ forums who will have a better answer for you.

I happen to be around DJs (like...ones that play out at venues not bedroom) a whole lot (my 2 of my 3 closest friends are djs..plus some family) and most audiophile headphones are really not what you should care for.

HD280s are workhorses for many djs.

The Pioneers actually do a great job (they seal well and a punchy which is the important factor) and come VERY highly recommend though they are a bit more fragile if you are mobile and need to toss you gear around sets a lot.

Techniques are the top choice these days among a bunch of people I know. A bunch of house djs in Chi and a quite a few mashup guys out in cali use the techs.

(pioneer and techs im talking about the top shelf models)

With that said the HD-25s are fantastic phones and I am sure you are gonna be happy with your choice. I havent heard them in a live setting, but in a quite environment they seemed like they'd do just fine in the field.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back