Recommendations on a messenger bag?
Aug 16, 2009 at 8:05 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

TheMarchingMule

Headphoneus Supremus
Hey everybody,

in light of getting a longboard and a netbook (Lenovo S10-2) over the summer, my parents are practically forcing me to get a messenger bag to use instead of a backpack. Not much will be put into it, just a sunglasses case, the netbook, and school books.

I recall somebody in a past thread linking to a website that had awesome quality, but high priced, messenger bags. Today at Target I was shown a Swiss Army bag for $40, and it looked decent enough.

Any suggestions on where to buy nice messenger bags? And if anybody knows what website I'm talking about, that'd be great. It had a lot of images in it, as well as a lot of bags in various sizes for different purposes.

Thanks!
smile.gif

Aug 16, 2009 at 9:45 AM Post #2 of 23
Can I ask why a messenger bag would be better than a backpack for (presumably) protecting the netbook from longboard falls? Surely having it up on your back would be better?

Aug 16, 2009 at 9:55 AM Post #3 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by stewtheking /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Can I ask why a messenger bag would be better than a backpack for (presumably) protecting the netbook from longboard falls? Surely having it up on your back would be better?

Actually, I have a habit of twisting in mid-air when I fall, so I land on my side and/or back.
redface.gif
Last time I did that though, I split some of my chin open and almost had to get stitches.

I think they assume that a messenger back is quicker to throw stuff into, and I gotta agree with that; I hate organizing on the run. And with my old backpack in poor shape, I figure I might as well try the whole messenger bag thing for once.

Aug 16, 2009 at 11:17 AM Post #5 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by stewtheking /img/forum/go_quote.gif

It's like a man-purse aka Man-Bag.

FYI, not hating - I have a few myself.
wink_face.gif

Aug 16, 2009 at 11:29 AM Post #6 of 23
I had a targus messenger bag in the past, worked fine. I have an incase backpack that was $100 that is still fine after a year (although a little dirty), they have a lot of laptop protection.

Aug 16, 2009 at 12:36 PM Post #7 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by LFF /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's like a man-purse aka Man-Bag.

FYI, not hating - I have a few myself.
wink_face.gif

Oh, I use a man-bag myself, but not combined with an activity that would be likely to send me plummeting towards the earth!

Aug 16, 2009 at 12:40 PM Post #8 of 23
I've been using messenger bags for a long time. I dunno--it's a style thing, it's a convenience thing. You throw it over your shoulder and you're done with it. A good-quality bag can get dropped on the sidewalk in the rain or accidentally slopped in a shallow puddle, and your papers and lappy don't get soused.

In order of most recent purchase:
1. 1 no. ORTLIEB SLING-IT Medium messenger bag. I got it on sale at REI (as Erik suggests). The Ortliebs are manufactured in Germany; the seams of their principal bag compartment are fused or welded, rather than sewn, which keeps the seams from coming undone and helps keep moisture out. The Sling-it has a slightly padded laptop compartment. I recommend it: it's easily the most convenient of my bags. Here.

2. Last year I got an old version of the classic Klein tool bag off Ebay (mine belonged to a Ma Bell logo telephone tech). They are understandably strong and voluminous. The old ones and the more expensive new ones are double-stitched composites of leather and heavy canvas. I bought the optional leather adjustable shoulder strap from Amazon. It's great, I'll have it forever, and I can pack four sections-worth of writing portfolios and final exams into it--with overdue library books. But it is bulky to the point of being unwieldy for everyday use. Here.

3. I got a messenger made by Timbuk2 back in 1995, and it's still in commission. I'm just not confident that they make them with this quality any more. My old T2 black medium messenger has a sturdy canvas compartment, and I know that they still produce special editions of their bags that use cotton duck canvas. Here. But one of their old options was that you could line the interior with the rip-proof rubber that's used for manufacturing zodiac inflatable boats and river rafts. After ten years of walking in the rain in Dublin, that rubber lining proved to be the best part of the investment.

Aug 16, 2009 at 2:45 PM Post #10 of 23
@Samgotit: that Domke strap looks really good for serious daily use. Thanks!

Aug 16, 2009 at 3:39 PM Post #12 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Try REI. They have a good selection of bags and I've always been jappy with the durability of their gear. Be sure to check their outlet (same site), too.

Thanks for reminding me of REI, although I bought a lot of backpacking gear from them in the mid 80's I had forgotten all about it. Thanks again.

Aug 16, 2009 at 8:19 PM Post #13 of 23
Aug 16, 2009 at 10:13 PM Post #14 of 23
I still have a 15 year old canvas Domke D2 and a smaller bag both with padded partitions.
Great bags.

Aug 16, 2009 at 10:20 PM Post #15 of 23
Try a Crumpler Messenger bag. They cost a little more, but worth it. I've had mine for 5 years and it is the best daily use bag I've ever had.

www.crumplerbags.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back