Recommendations on a messenger bag?
Aug 16, 2009 at 10:43 PM Post #16 of 23
Try RICKSHAW BAGWORKS

This was started by the founder of Timbuk2 after he left.

I have plenty of Timbuk2 bags since my wife used to work there and they are great bags too. Can be customized and come in many sizes.

Timbuk2 Bags - Timbuk2

Aug 17, 2009 at 2:45 AM Post #17 of 23
I've used a Victorianox messenger bag for the last 6 years. The first one lasted 5 years, I had to replace it cause I put too much stuff in it and I was wearing through the metal rings - the nylon still looked brand new though - my dad is using it now for his lighter lappy. I was so happy with it that I got the exact same model again.
smily_headphones1.gif

Victorinox Swiss Army - TravelGear - WT Wide Messenger

Aug 17, 2009 at 4:49 AM Post #18 of 23
Aug 17, 2009 at 12:21 PM Post #19 of 23
@iamoneagain: The Rickshaw bags looked very good. I noticed that they had a number of options for highly waterproofed messengers. Good stuff.

Aug 18, 2009 at 7:30 PM Post #20 of 23
Hey everybody, thanks a lot for all the posts and suggestions. I looked through all the websites, but knew this would take awhile with all the countless models to choose from.

A few minutes ago actually I had Samgotit PM me telling me of a super great deal on a Pacsafe CourierSafe 100, and so I nabbed that under the pressure of a countdown clock with only 1:30 to spare.

I'm sure I'll "upgrade" my bag though, when then time comes.
tongue.gif
And I'll be using this thread again as a reference.

Thanks again!

Aug 19, 2009 at 3:08 AM Post #21 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by iamoneagain /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Try RICKSHAW BAGWORKS

This was started by the founder of Timbuk2 after he left.

I have plenty of Timbuk2 bags since my wife used to work there and they are great bags too. Can be customized and come in many sizes.

Timbuk2 Bags - Timbuk2

Met these dudes at Interbike last year. Great people and great products. I've never owned any of their stuff, but I definitely liked what I saw.

I myself have been partial to Chrome Bags for the last 6 years or so. I've used a Chrome Citizen just about every day until August when I bought a Chrome Pawn messenger backpack.

I still mostly use the Citizen for commuting. It holds my laptop, a couple of books, and a pair of shoes just fine. You start to feel the limitations once you start stuffing clothes into it, though.

That's why I bought the Pawn. It's big enough to hold my 18 month old nephew, or a computer, shoes, books, and a weekend worth of clothes. This is great for weekend trips because I can pretty much carry my life on my back.

I live car-free, so it's also great for carrying home a few days of groceries on the bike.

Just some things to consider.

Messenger Bags, Laptop Bags, Backpacks | CHROME OFFICIAL SITE

Aug 19, 2009 at 4:29 AM Post #22 of 23
God I'm getting old ...it took me 10 minutes to figure out what a longboard is......(skateboard ?) D'oh !

Get yourself a toughbook lappy and keep using your backpack is my advice....you'll break long before the toughbook does ...

Peete.

Aug 19, 2009 at 9:57 PM Post #23 of 23
I have tried a number of different brands of bags through the years (I'm a bicycle and foot commuter), and have settled on two that I think are vastly superior: Chrome Bags (Messenger Bags, Laptop Bags, Backpacks | CHROME OFFICIAL SITE) and Seagull Bags (seagull bags - custom handmade messenger bags and courier packs - columbus, ohio).

Both Chrome and Seagull bags are absolutely waterproof as well, even in a driving rainstorm. The Seagull bags come in only large, larger, and huge sizes, so you might find something more appropriate as a laptop bag on the Chrome site.

I also like the Crumpler bags (I have the big-logo "Cheesy Disco" model), but they don't hold a candle to the Chrome and Seagull bags. The Crumpler is nice, but it seems like a toy in comparison to my "real" messenger bags.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back