Recommendations: HD650 sound with more stage & more bass
Apr 25, 2020 at 3:29 PM Post #31 of 51
Hi all,

I own a HD650, I like the sound, it is comfortable, durable, and yes, I like it. But for some music I would like something with most and foremost a bit more bass and if possible a little bit bigger stage.

Is there anything available for reasonable money? It can be open but closed is not a no go. It should also be durable and comfortable to wear. It should not have too much treble though.

Amplification is here.

Would be really happy to hear any recommendations or experiences you made in that direction :)

An important to ask with the HD650s or the HD6XXs is what setup you're using. From what I've gathered online, that makes all the difference. I've got the HD6XXs, driving them (sometimes) with my BTR5 but mostly with my FiiO M11. The M11 does an adequate job, but like you, that sound stage isn't amazing. I noticed what it could be when I tried the HE4XX with my M11, which are a pair of easier to drive cans, and they had better sound stage. All of that to say, consider getting a more powerful DAC/amp before switching headphones.

Apr 27, 2020 at 9:55 AM Post #32 of 51
Current 6xx owner. Used to drive it with JDS Atom, good but not that impressive, until I borrowed a Crack from friend. 6xx/650 with a OTL amp make a hell lot of difference, especially percussion instruments just have much more texture. Since I have no experience of soldering, so I skip Crack and get a Darkvoice 336, not as good as Crack, but still sounds more musical than used with Atom. Highly recommended you to try an OTL amp before move on to a difference headphone.

Apr 27, 2020 at 10:34 AM Post #33 of 51
Current 6xx owner. Used to drive it with JDS Atom, good but not that impressive, until I borrowed a Crack from friend. 6xx/650 with a OTL amp make a hell lot of difference, especially percussion instruments just have much more texture. Since I have no experience of soldering, so I skip Crack and get a Darkvoice 336, not as good as Crack, but still sounds more musical than used with Atom. Highly recommended you to try an OTL amp before move on to a difference headphone.
[plugs ears and closes eyes] lalalalalalalalala

Sersly, I don’t want to hear that my Atom is not enough. I can’t keep climbing this ladder -- enough is enough. Leave me alone and let me enjoy my new rig for at least a year for chris’s sake.

lalalalalalala

Apr 27, 2020 at 10:40 AM Post #34 of 51

Sersly, I don’t want to hear that my Atom is not enough. I can’t keep climbing this ladder -- enough is enough. Leave me alone and let me enjoy my new rig for at least a year for chris’s sake.

lalalalalalala

Actually Atom is a fantastic amp at its price range. I bought SMSL SP200 couple weeks ago, had to return it because I thought the edge over Atom is not worth the price difference. Atom is just not a best match with high impedance headphone.

Apr 27, 2020 at 1:24 PM Post #36 of 51

lalalalalalala

Sameeee problem I'm having hanging out on these forums.... Have spent way more money than I need to.

Apr 27, 2020 at 1:33 PM Post #37 of 51
Could you help me, what models exactly would you recommend. Just to get a starting point :)
If you want to keep 650, I will say try to find a used tube OTL amp, like DarkVoice 336 or Bottlehead Crack(which is considered as the best match with 650/6xx). I do not know how used audio equipment market work in Europe, but in US, it is not hard to find some cheap used OTL amp. If you just want a little more bass, try eq it. For soundstage, you should look for other headphones, like some mentioned in this thread(if you interested in he4xx, I will suggest get a used Sundara), otherwise you will have to invest some money into a great amp, which could be couple times of the price of the 650 itself. A better DAC may help, but I do not have many experience in that.

I am also looking for upgrade for my 6xx, as I like the sounding characters of it but not so satisfied with the soundstage and imaging. Some researchs point me to Focal Clear, but I am not going throw 1500 dollars into it before I have listened it, so I just wait till some audio shops are open again and I can have a demo listening.

Apr 27, 2020 at 3:11 PM Post #38 of 51
If you want to keep 650, I will say try to find a used tube OTL amp, like DarkVoice 336 or Bottlehead Crack(which is considered as the best match with 650/6xx). I do not know how used audio equipment market work in Europe, but in US, it is not hard to find some cheap used OTL amp. If you just want a little more bass, try eq it. For soundstage, you should look for other headphones, like some mentioned in this thread(if you interested in he4xx, I will suggest get a used Sundara), otherwise you will have to invest some money into a great amp, which could be couple times of the price of the 650 itself. A better DAC may help, but I do not have many experience in that.

I am also looking for upgrade for my 6xx, as I like the sounding characters of it but not so satisfied with the soundstage and imaging. Some researchs point me to Focal Clear, but I am not going throw 1500 dollars into it before I have listened it, so I just wait till some audio shops are open again and I can have a demo listening.

I would look into the Focal Elex. It seems to be a good upgrade from the HD6XX and one I plan on making when I save up enough money.
I really like my HE4XXs because of the detail and imaging. I don't have an adequate setup to fully appreciate my HD6XXs (I'm just using a FiiO M11 with a balanced cable). Its hard to compare the two because they're each gifted in their own way. The HD6XXs are my go for acoustic-based stuff, classical, smoother jazz, etc. My HE4XXs are my go-to for rock, pop, and even sometimes rap. Their presentations of music are more complimentary than contradictory, in my opinion. That said, from what I've gathered from reviews and frequency charts and what not, I think the Focal Elex's a more comfortable middle-ground between the sounds of the HD6XXs and the HE4XXs. You could certainly full send it to the Focal Clears, but I've heard great things about the Elex's and they retail for $600 on Drop.com.

Apr 27, 2020 at 10:33 PM Post #39 of 51
I would look into the Focal Elex. It seems to be a good upgrade from the HD6XX and one I plan on making when I save up enough money.
I really like my HE4XXs because of the detail and imaging. I don't have an adequate setup to fully appreciate my HD6XXs (I'm just using a FiiO M11 with a balanced cable). Its hard to compare the two because they're each gifted in their own way. The HD6XXs are my go for acoustic-based stuff, classical, smoother jazz, etc. My HE4XXs are my go-to for rock, pop, and even sometimes rap. Their presentations of music are more complimentary than contradictory, in my opinion. That said, from what I've gathered from reviews and frequency charts and what not, I think the Focal Elex's a more comfortable middle-ground between the sounds of the HD6XXs and the HE4XXs. You could certainly full send it to the Focal Clears, but I've heard great things about the Elex's and they retail for $600 on Drop.com.

I have the elears and the elex's and while neither have the greatest soundstage they (elears more so than elex) are basically more detailed, stronger and better sounding HD650's. Both fantastic headphones and if you can get them for a good price, as I've seen them on sale a lot recently, they are terrific headphones that are warm, detailed and entertaining all in the one.

P.S. The Elex is essentially the Elear but with different pads and cable to create a slightly more neutral sound that is more inline with the Clear although not quite up to that standard.

Apr 30, 2020 at 7:01 PM Post #44 of 51
What do you think about the E1DA portable amp? Many say it is great sounding and the amp is much stronger than the MEIZU.
Would you say it is easily good enough for the HD6XX/650?
If you want portable then I would go with a EarStudio ES100 MK2 and a cheap 2.5mm Silver plated balanced cable loads of power and doesn’t sound half bad at that but not a Bottlehead Crack which is by far the best with these but for a portable solution not bad at all pic to follow (fenstrated sheepskin Dekoni pads are optional).
2BC47D33-D36C-44DF-81D0-CF46454798DE.jpeg

Apr 30, 2020 at 7:05 PM Post #45 of 51
If you want portable then I would go with a EarStudio ES100 MK2 and a cheap 2.5mm Silver plated balanced cable loads of power and doesn’t sound half bad at that but not a Bottlehead Crack which is by far the best with these but for a portable solution not bad at all pic to follow (fenstrated sheepskin Dekoni pads are optional).
2BC47D33-D36C-44DF-81D0-CF46454798DE.jpeg
Does the Dekoni pads have any audible difference comparing to the stock pads? My stock pad for hd6xx worn out, looking for another one. Also based on the image, looks like you are using silver cable, how do you like it? Is it improving treble?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back