Recommendations: HD650 sound with more stage & more bass
Apr 4, 2020 at 2:57 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 51

janx

Head-Fier
Hi all,

I own a HD650, I like the sound, it is comfortable, durable, and yes, I like it. But for some music I would like something with most and foremost a bit more bass and if possible a little bit bigger stage.

Is there anything available for reasonable money? It can be open but closed is not a no go. It should also be durable and comfortable to wear. It should not have too much treble though.

Amplification is here.

Would be really happy to hear any recommendations or experiences you made in that direction :)

Apr 4, 2020 at 3:50 PM Post #2 of 51
Have you played around with pad change and EQ? It's something to consider, since the HD 650 is worth playing around with to get right (to suit you).
I don't have headphone rec's meeting that criteria, curious what others say as well.

Apr 4, 2020 at 4:10 PM Post #3 of 51
Hi all,
I own a HD650, I like the sound, it is comfortable, durable, and yes, I like it. But for some music I would like something with most and foremost a bit more bass and if possible a little bit bigger stage.
Is there anything available for reasonable money? It can be open but closed is not a no go. It should also be durable and comfortable to wear. It should not have too much treble though.
Amplification is here.Would be really happy to hear any recommendations or experiences you made in that direction :)
What DAC/amp or sources are you plugging the headphones into?
Music source?

Apr 4, 2020 at 5:47 PM Post #5 of 51
Have you played around with pad change and EQ? It's something to consider, since the HD 650 is worth playing around with to get right (to suit you).
I don't have headphone rec's meeting that criteria, curious what others say as well.

Both not yet. Did you? Do you have a recommendation for good EQs for smartphone use?

Apr 5, 2020 at 3:07 AM Post #7 of 51
I am using mostly a Meizu Pro 5 as source. I also have the Meizu and Ztella DAC dongles here. I do not really want to switch to desktop amps and to be honest I don't think there is a lack of power. Or do you have other experiences?
The 300-Ohm HD650 usually respond well when you feed it voltage, the Meizu Pro 5 is battery powered, so sending a lot of voltage would drain the battery faster, so the "limited" voltage might be limiting the HD650.
HD650 seem to do best when connected to a $500 Bottlehead Crack tube (OTL) headphone amplifier (tubes are great for voltage).

Apr 5, 2020 at 3:46 AM Post #8 of 51
The 300-Ohm HD650 usually respond well when you feed it voltage, the Meizu Pro 5 is battery powered, so sending a lot of voltage would drain the battery faster, so the "limited" voltage might be limiting the HD650.
HD650 seem to do best when connected to a $500 Bottlehead Crack tube (OTL) headphone amplifier (tubes are great for voltage).

It might be true that a stronger powered amp also brings some advantages. But I am totally happy with the delivery of my devices and they have plenty of power although might be less refined compared to your recommendation. Also I want to remain mobile with my setup so this is not really an option for me unfortunately.

And from what I heard concerning the "shortcomings" I find in the 650 signature I am not the only one. The stage is rather small, bass is relatively low and also rolling off below 70-80hz.

(Someone might recommend the 58x, I had it here too and in my opinion they sound nearly the same, the bass difference is not big.)

Apr 5, 2020 at 9:42 AM Post #9 of 51
Check out the Soundmagic HP200 open headphones.

Apr 5, 2020 at 10:44 AM Post #10 of 51
Hi

For bigger soundstage and bass the best options would be something planar like the Hifiman HE4XX or preferably the Sundara, however, looking at the specs of what you've got your equipment is no where near powerful enough to drive HD650's actually offering a single only at line level and not boosting it at all. Unfortunately this means planars are out for the moment.

This lack of power is likely the reason for your lack of bass on these but regardless you can't upgrade headphones without a better amplification unit. You don't need a desktop amplifier but dongles simply don't offer the ability to properly drive any quality audio device other than IEM's.

My suggestions would be to get a portable dac amp like the Sound Blaster E5, Fiio Q1 mk2, or something from the ifi range

Apr 5, 2020 at 10:58 AM Post #11 of 51
While I am not someone who always says get more power, I do not for a moment believe that a smartphone is providing enough power for a headphone like the 650. It may still turn out that you do not gel with the 650 sound, but I would not make that assumption until you have tested the 650 on an actual amp. Do you not have the opportunity to test on a friends amp or go to an audio store and test there? I know during this pandemic that might be impossible, but seriously, don't form an opinion on the 650 based on using a smartphone.

Apr 5, 2020 at 12:38 PM Post #12 of 51
The Pro5 is not a normal smartphone. It has a pretty good audio amp (TI OPA something) and ESS9018 DAC.
So I don't believe it is really too weak.

The Hifimans might be interesting. I will have a look into them. Thanks!

Apr 5, 2020 at 1:36 PM Post #14 of 51
You havent mentioned your budget,and if you did I missed it,so...

Lots of informed members are suggesting a better amp for the HD650. Its been my experience that the HD650 needs some juice. Theyre not difficult to drive per se,but moreso than a 32 ohm 103 sensitivity headphone designed for mobile use.

If amping is indeed the issue you can forget ZMF headphones which have similar specs as your HD650. ZMF is the obvious choice here,but theyre probably more than you want to spend.

You might look into the Meze 99 Classic. Bass for days. Easy to drive as well,but they dont have a huge stage.

Another option is one the Fidelio X headphones. Wide stage and strong bass,but lack the mids of the 650.

Last edited:
Apr 5, 2020 at 1:39 PM Post #15 of 51
The Pro5 is not a normal smartphone. It has a pretty good audio amp (TI OPA something) and ESS9018 DAC.
So I don't believe it is really too weak.

The Hifimans might be interesting. I will have a look into them. Thanks!
Still have very serious doubts, very serious doubts that it can adequately drive the HD650. I have used many smallish portable devices and currently have a Q5s which has guaranteed as death and taxes better amplification sections in the amp modules I have than in your phone and I would not consider my amp modules as optimum at all for something like the HD650. The DAC chip has virtually nothing to do with anything related to amplification in terms of what you are discussing. Until you test with a proper amp, doesn't have to be a power house, but certainly something like 55-100mW at 300ohm is worth comparing against. Volume is not an adequate test of whether or not something is being driven optimally. Try to find out what that TI chip puts out as configured in your phone. I'll be shocked if it is above 15mW into 300ohms. That doesn't even take into account the dynamic nature of a load so again, you should have very little to no confidence that your phone is providing the type of amplification that you need to evaluate what the HD650 actually brings to the table. Just IMO, nothing more, nothing less.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back