Recommendations for versatile, circumaural, closed-back headphones?
May 22, 2017 at 2:47 PM Post #16 of 27
Id suggest looking into Mr.Speakers Aeon...They are one of the best values in the HP market IMO.
Very comfortable,easy to drive and the tone is a very musical but neutral signature.

May 23, 2017 at 2:21 AM Post #17 of 27
Sweet. I meant it's a 3-D rectangle. The grill appears slightly curved outwards when viewed from above. I'll upload a picture. (EDIT: Picture won't upload. Sorry!)

A lot of speakers have the grills jutting out instead of the recessed circular mounts on the Utopias.

I'll upload a picture. (EDIT: Picture won't upload. Sorry!)

Post it somewhere like your FB account, set it to public, right click on the photo and click "Image Address," then paste that addy link in the text box here.

May 23, 2017 at 10:28 AM Post #18 of 27
[RE: Previous post]

Is there only one JMLab tower speaker that looks like the right half of this
Focal_Chorus_715_550.jpg
picture? If so, that's what we have.

May 23, 2017 at 11:32 AM Post #19 of 27
[RE: Previous post]Is there only one JMLab tower speaker that looks like the right half of this picture? If so, that's what we have.

Looks like what preceded the Chorus, but probably already a similar material to the Polyglass drivers. If so, and if these are driven by a good amp, then the Spirit Classic straight out of a phone isn't going to match how authoritative the percussion is. An amp can help a little bit so you can listen louder with less distortion, adding to how explosive the percussion can get, but don't expect it to be a huge difference.

May 28, 2017 at 6:02 PM Post #20 of 27
I've used the M50x for 2 years so far. It's quite uncomfortable beyond an hour and the highs are very sibilant (but good for mixing). If you want comfortable closed back headphones I would suggest HD 598 CS (I myself have the HD 598 SE the open back version but from what I've read, they both have same sound signature - if that is indeed the case, HD 598 are very very comfortable and can be driven with any source (even the open back ones with 55ohm impedance can be driven decently with a mobile device) and the closed back HD 598CS are just 23 ohms I believe so can be very easily driven).

HD 598 CS ticks 2 of your boxes
1. Closed Back
2. Easy to drive (only 23ohm Impedance)

And as for availability I see on Amazon that HD 598 CS are almost always on sale. Just keep a lookout for a sale and buy it. (I myself got an insane deal for my HD 598 SE Open Back headphones at 7300 INR which in USD is around 115 USD).

May 29, 2017 at 9:13 AM Post #21 of 27
I've used the M50x for 2 years so far. It's quite uncomfortable beyond an hour and the highs are very sibilant (but good for mixing). If you want comfortable closed back headphones I would suggest HD 598 CS (I myself have the HD 598 SE the open back version but from what I've read, they both have same sound signature - if that is indeed the case, HD 598 are very very comfortable and can be driven with any source (even the open back ones with 55ohm impedance can be driven decently with a mobile device) and the closed back HD 598CS are just 23 ohms I believe so can be very easily driven).

HD 598 CS ticks 2 of your boxes
1. Closed Back
2. Easy to drive (only 23ohm Impedance)

And as for availability I see on Amazon that HD 598 CS are almost always on sale. Just keep a lookout for a sale and buy it. (I myself got an insane deal for my HD 598 SE Open Back headphones at 7300 INR which in USD is around 115 USD).
Thank you very much!

May 29, 2017 at 11:28 AM Post #22 of 27
Hey gang! I've got an update and a few questions.

After much deliberation, I decided to try the Sennheiser HD 598 Cs (the closed-back version). I also ordered a 2.5m replacement cable (3.5mm WITHOUT a mic), because the two included cables each don't quite match what I want: one would need an adapter for mobile use, and the other is too short and includes a mic.

I know there are already several threads regarding burn-in. So, I'm wondering: (1) What should I do to burn in these new babies; and (2) Should I start a new topic for that question, or just resolve it here? Help from an admin would be nice, as I don't know what this forum traditionally does.

Thanks again!

May 29, 2017 at 11:43 AM Post #23 of 27
Hey gang! I've got an update and a few questions.

After much deliberation, I decided to try the Sennheiser HD 598 Cs (the closed-back version). I also ordered a 2.5m replacement cable (3.5mm WITHOUT a mic), because the two included cables each don't quite match what I want: one would need an adapter for mobile use, and the other is too short and includes a mic.

I know there are already several threads regarding burn-in. So, I'm wondering: (1) What should I do to burn in these new babies; and (2) Should I start a new topic for that question, or just resolve it here? Help from an admin would be nice, as I don't know what this forum traditionally does.

Thanks again!

Not sure of the burn-in requirements of the HD 598s, but I would say 50-100 hours for the dynamic drivers to settle in. My Denon AH-600 headphones took a full 200 hours to burn-in. After 100 hours, I figured the sound I was getting was their sound signature and was about to sell them as they were bloated in the bass. The sound didn't change much until that 200 hour mark, and now they are one of my favorite closed-back headphones.

For burning-in, I typically use a looping track of pink noise and just leave it playing all day and night from my PC at a normal listening volume. Here is a link to download a 15 min pink noise mp3 file: http://www.audiocheck.net/testtones_pinknoise.php

Enjoy your new headphones and happy listening!

May 29, 2017 at 12:05 PM Post #24 of 27
Not sure of the burn-in requirements of the HD 598s, but I would say 50-100 hours for the dynamic drivers to settle in. My Denon AH-600 headphones took a full 200 hours to burn-in. After 100 hours, I figured the sound I was getting was their sound signature and was about to sell them as they were bloated in the bass. The sound didn't change much until that 200 hour mark, and now they are one of my favorite closed-back headphones.

For burning-in, I typically use a looping track of pink noise and just leave it playing all day and night from my PC at a normal listening volume. Here is a link to download a 15 min pink noise mp3 file: http://www.audiocheck.net/testtones_pinknoise.php

Enjoy your new headphones and happy listening!
Thanks a bunch!

Jun 2, 2017 at 11:41 AM Post #25 of 27
Well, I've only listened to them for a few hours, but, unless things change.....

WOW. These are PHENOMENAL!!! The HD 280 PRO has better noise isolation and "collapsibility," but, other than those two items, these are better in every way. The first thing I should mention: Don't be hesitant about the plastic materials. This is a different, better, stronger, and thicker plastic; I don't think Sennheiser used plastic to be cheap -- at least, that's not the primary reason -- but rather to reduce weight. The headband is much more comfortable than that of the 280, even though this one seems a tad thinner. The clamping force is a little tight for me, but I know that will loosen over time, and it's not unbearable. Once I determined the proper height setting, they were very secure; head-jerking didn't move them around much. The ear pads themselves are supremely comfortable.

The sound is, to quote Jim Morrison, "pure, unbounded joy." Someone said the 280 has better bass; I respectfully disagree. All sonic frequencies seem better here. I don't have much experience with headphones, but I can confidently say these are the best-sounding headphones I've ever heard.

Sorry, I don't wish to turn this into a full review! Let's just say, once again, WOW.

Jun 2, 2017 at 8:18 PM Post #26 of 27
Well, I've only listened to them for a few hours, but, unless things change.....

WOW. These are PHENOMENAL!!! The HD 280 PRO has better noise isolation and "collapsibility," but, other than those two items, these are better in every way. The first thing I should mention: Don't be hesitant about the plastic materials. This is a different, better, stronger, and thicker plastic; I don't think Sennheiser used plastic to be cheap -- at least, that's not the primary reason -- but rather to reduce weight. The headband is much more comfortable than that of the 280, even though this one seems a tad thinner. The clamping force is a little tight for me, but I know that will loosen over time, and it's not unbearable. Once I determined the proper height setting, they were very secure; head-jerking didn't move them around much. The ear pads themselves are supremely comfortable.

The sound is, to quote Jim Morrison, "pure, unbounded joy." Someone said the 280 has better bass; I respectfully disagree. All sonic frequencies seem better here. I don't have much experience with headphones, but I can confidently say these are the best-sounding headphones I've ever heard.

Sorry, I don't wish to turn this into a full review! Let's just say, once again, WOW.

Congratulations! I'm sure you'll find them very comfortable and enjoyable.

I myself had the same feeling when I first heard HD 598 SE. In a quiet room these headphones have ample amount of bass (contrary to what most reviews say that these lack bass...I think they're reviewing them in a noisy environment). I'd recommend an amplifier with these (I have FiiO E06 which was the cheapest amp I could get 2 years ago) and even that improves the bass and treble frequencies (bass gets tighter and treble frequencies become more transparent instead of the veiled character most reviews say)

Last edited:
Jun 3, 2017 at 2:21 PM Post #27 of 27

Welcome the HiFi world :darthsmile:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back