Recommendations for RS-1's
Nov 20, 2004 at 4:18 PM Post #16 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by GoRedwings19
The earmax pro anniversary has caught my attention. I love the earmax sound and while not for everyone. But there are only two headfiers I know who have this amp and they don't post very often so it is difficult to get an idea how they compare to the EMP.

With a maximum of $500, I'd say go for the RA-1 and don't look back. If you want to push the limit, I'd say go for the PPX-3, completely stock. I've got one, and I've yet to hear anything in the price range that can touch it. Tube selection is important, but the 6CG7's are not as expensive as many tubes.

Both the Earmax Pro and the Anniversary Edition are out of the price range the original poster wanted. I do know a Head-Fi member who has the Anniversary Edition, and we're going to try and compare it to my stock unit this weekend. Another local Head-Fi member has a modified EMP (stock PS replaced by regulated toroidal, and now uses three of the same tube (can be 6DJ8 OR 6GM8, but not mixed). That amp has got a killer midrange compared to the stock EMP, with bass that's amazing.

Nov 20, 2004 at 5:13 PM Post #17 of 30
Based on the responses here it looks like the PPX3 and RA-1 should be tops on my list. I'm thinking the PPX3 will give me the warm, lush, cozy feel that I got from my old Melos SHA-1. The RA-1 sounds like it would be a great match for the RS-1, but only if your looking for something on the neutral side. Any recommendations on best bang for the buck upgrades for the PPX3? I contacted Mikhael of Singlepower and he recommended the Solen and the Jenson Paper in Oil. The Solen is the less expensive of the two. I realize this is putting me just above my price limit, but if an additional $60 or so would mean a substantial improvement in sound, I would stretch my budget a bit..

Nov 20, 2004 at 5:32 PM Post #18 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by zulu934
Based on the responses here it looks like the PPX3 and RA-1 should be tops on my list. I'm thinking the PPX3 will give me the warm, lush, cozy feel that I got from my old Melos SHA-1. The RA-1 sounds like it would be a great match for the RS-1, but only if your looking for something on the neutral side. Any recommendations on best bang for the buck upgrades for the PPX3? I contacted Mikhael of Singlepower and he recommended the Solen and the Jenson Paper in Oil. The Solen is the less expensive of the two. I realize this is putting me just above my price limit, but if an additional $60 or so would mean a substantial improvement in sound, I would stretch my budget a bit..

If you want a warm, lush sound the best thing you can do is get the paper in oil caps and/ or add three RCA clear top 6cg7's.

Nov 20, 2004 at 9:29 PM Post #21 of 30
I decided to exceed my budget and get the PPX3 with paper caps. Life is short!
k1000smile.gif
Thanks all!

Nov 21, 2004 at 5:52 AM Post #23 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hirsch
With a maximum of $500, I'd say go for the RA-1 and don't look back. If you want to push the limit, I'd say go for the PPX-3, completely stock. I've got one, and I've yet to hear anything in the price range that can touch it. Tube selection is important, but the 6CG7's are not as expensive as many tubes.

Both the Earmax Pro and the Anniversary Edition are out of the price range the original poster wanted. I do know a Head-Fi member who has the Anniversary Edition, and we're going to try and compare it to my stock unit this weekend. Another local Head-Fi member has a modified EMP (stock PS replaced by regulated toroidal, and now uses three of the same tube (can be 6DJ8 OR 6GM8, but not mixed). That amp has got a killer midrange compared to the stock EMP, with bass that's amazing.

Sorry I missed the $500 budget limit. As for the headfiers is one dolifant? I saw the modified EMP on audiogon because of voltage conversion problems. I love the EMP sound. With the sr-225's I though it was lovely and with the RS-1's it was out of this world. I am seriously considering the EMP anniv. But I feel I should give singlepower and ray samuels a fair audition as well. But the emp anniv. is expensive for what it is. I hear people say it just a plain vanilla emp with a better power supply and that's it. Damn I wish I never sold the EMP and sr225's

Nov 21, 2004 at 8:34 AM Post #24 of 30
I have never owned an EMP, but always loved the way it looked. One other amp you might consider buying on the used market is the Melos SHA-1. Very nice synergy with the RS-1's.

Nov 22, 2004 at 6:13 AM Post #25 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by KR...
I spent some good time with that amp and the Grado RS-1 and PS-1, I think you made a great choice!

Agreed. that combo sounded sweet at the NYC meet.
If you love the melos sound, I doubt you will be happy with most SS amps.
Tubes are the way to go.
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 22, 2004 at 2:46 PM Post #26 of 30
I heard the RS-1's with a Headroom Max and stock Sony 7777ES (model number?) and it was extremely smooth and a tad bit mellow.

It was a great, non-fatiguing sound.

It was at last year's NYC Grado Labs meeting...
I could have listened to the above setup for hours.

BANGPOD

Nov 23, 2004 at 4:12 AM Post #28 of 30
I have been considering a dedicated tube amp for the RS-1's as of late. I have considered the MapleTree Audio Ear + Pure HD version. It lists at $675 of so. I did not consider the ASL MGHead OTL32, and I don't think I would venture out towards it either. The EMP I never consider but so many folks speak highly of it that perhaps I should think about it. Of course the EAR HP4 is a nice amp but the cost is outrageous. I would want to keep things below $1k.

Has anyone compared the EAR Pure + HD with the EMP? Some have stated that the EAR, although a tube SET, does not seem to exhibit typical tube amp characteristics and sounds more akin to a ss amp. If so, then I'm not interested, I have a few SS amps that I use with the RS-1's.

Nov 23, 2004 at 4:17 AM Post #29 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zanth
I have been considering a dedicated tube amp for the RS-1's as of late. I have considered the MapleTree Audio Ear + Pure HD version. It lists at $675 of so. I did not consider the ASL MGHead OTL32, and I don't think I would venture out towards it either. The EMP I never consider but so many folks speak highly of it that perhaps I should think about it. Of course the EAR HP4 is a nice amp but the cost is outrageous. I would want to keep things below $1k.

Has anyone compared the Ear with the EMP? Some have stated that the EAR, although a tube SET, does not seem to exhibit typical tube amp characteristics and sounds more akin to a ss amp. If so, then I'm not interested, I have a few SS amps that I use with the RS-1's.

The EMP works great with all grado headphones. I have used the EMP with the 225's,rs-1's and in both instances it was really good. More so with the rs-1 than the 225's. Sometimes the slightly forward nature was tamed by the EMP and it was a good synergy between the two. I really regret selling the EMP now.

Nov 23, 2004 at 5:57 AM Post #30 of 30
I've been using my RS-1s with the WooAudio3. So far I've been pretty impressed. In fact as of late my iPod w/ER-4Ps sound extremely harsh and brittle... and up to now that hasn't been the case. Could it be the RS-1/WooAudio3 combo is spoiling me?
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back