Recommendations for RS-1's
Nov 19, 2004 at 9:01 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 30

zulu934

New Head-Fier
Hi, I am a newbie on the forum and wanted to get some recommendations on an amp for my Grado RS-1's. This is actually my 2nd pair. I had a Melos SHA-1 driving my first RS-1's and was very satisfied with the warm, mesmerizing sound. Based on my research so far, it looks like the Perreaux should be near the top of my list. I know Grado makes an RA-1 matching amp for it's headphones, but I am a bit weary due to some reports of the cheap parts used. Any help would be appreciated.

Nov 19, 2004 at 9:39 PM Post #2 of 30
i just sold a pair of rs1, so have some experience. i thought they sounded fantastic with the ra1...lush, deep bass...don't be fooled by the "cheap" parts...it sounds great with the rs1. pricey for what it actually is, but the wood box matches well with the rs1. or, get a clone for real cheap.

i did like grados with the perreaux, too...were it not for the bevy of troubles i had with the perreaux, it might still be in my collection.

my only other suggestion would be to try the gilmores. i've never owned one, but people swear by its synergy with grados.

Nov 19, 2004 at 9:49 PM Post #3 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by zulu934
I know Grado makes an RA-1 matching amp for it's headphones, but I am a bit weary due to some reports of the cheap parts used. Any help would be appreciated.

I have that combo and if you didn't wrote this I could have continued my perfect happiness...
wink.gif

Amicalement

Nov 19, 2004 at 9:51 PM Post #4 of 30
Thanks! I read about the Gilmore Lite and it appears it was designed to get the best out of Grado's by feeding it a high current. That translates to great bass, but I'm actually looking to get more of a warm, lush sound. . Perreaux seems like it fits the bill, at a reasonable price (I saw a few .5 models on sale for around $175. The Grado just looks too expensive for what you get.

Nov 19, 2004 at 11:06 PM Post #7 of 30
Check out the ray samuels Xp-7, I haven't heard it myself, but it's said to be warm and lush.

Nov 20, 2004 at 12:34 AM Post #8 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kirosia
Check out the ray samuels Xp-7, I haven't heard it myself, but it's said to be warm and lush.

That's what I've been using with mine and it sounds great.

Nov 20, 2004 at 2:51 PM Post #13 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by zulu934
I no longer have the Melos. I would try and purchase another on the used market, but it is too big.

I happen to auditioning an RA-1 right at the moment. I initially borrowed it from another local Head-Fier to test something in my system but the darn thing sounded so good I just had to give it a more serious listen. I had briefly tried it a few months back and was only lukewarm on it but giving it more serious attention shows a great little amp that has some serious synergy with the RS-1’s.

Briefly, (or not so briefly I guess
tongue.gif
) I will say that it has decent bass weight with very good definition, speed and punch. By comparison my PPX3 has more weight and body but sounds a bit slow by comparison. This seems to be a real shining point for the RA-1, the overall PRaT characteristics are outstanding making it a lot of fun to listen to.

The mids are detailed and forward yet still sweet sounding with the RA-1. The PPX3 sounds a bit recessed in comparison but has a fullness and a somewhat more organic quality. This is not to say the mids on the RA-1 are bad by any means, they are quite engaging but again they lack some of that tube warmth and body of the PPX3

Highs on the RA-1 are not quite as refined and relaxed as the PPX3 and they can sound a bit grainy at times but they are in very good balance with rest of the spectrum. They never seem to be overbearing nor do they hide underneath everything else. My biggest issue with my system has been with sibilance. I’ve gone to great lengths to eradicate it and have for the most part succeeded. The PPX3 sounds very smooth but at times an s or t can jump out. The RA-1 is a tad less smooth but seems more consistent in how it deals with sibilance.

The PPX3 is a much more spacious, deep and airy than the RA-1. With the RA-1 everything is very close, there is less width and less depth to the headstage giving it a more closed in feel.

Both these amps are quite different but both are very good. On a technical level the edge would have to go to the PPX3 plus the capacity to fine tune through tuberolling is a plus that can’t be ignored but there is a special synergy that the RA-1 and RS-1 seem to have that can’t be ignored either. Overall I think my preference would be for something in between.

It sounds as if space may be a concern for you which it could be for me soon as well. I may be losing my dedicated listening space in the relatively near future so I’ve been looking at options for downsizing. I must admit hearing the RA-1’s synergy with the RS-1’s has opened up some possibilities. Adding some tubes into the mix with the RA-1 could address some of the shortcomings I found and I might have a solution to that.
wink.gif
I won’t go into detail with that here but if your interested feel free to PM me.

Nov 20, 2004 at 2:52 PM Post #14 of 30
They sound great to me on Grado labs very own RA-1 amp and also with the Earmax pro, there is also a new version of the Earmax Pro that was just released, you might want to look into that one. It's called the Earmax Pro Anniversary Edition. There is also the MG Head OTL32.

Nov 20, 2004 at 3:37 PM Post #15 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by KR...
They sound great to me on Grado labs very own RA-1 amp and also with the Earmax pro, there is also a new version of the Earmax Pro that was just released, you might want to look into that one. It's called the Earmax Pro Anniversary Edition. There is also the MG Head OTL32.

I have a RA-1 and have used an earmax pro extensively with the RS-1's. These two amps are really special with the RS-1's. I think it sounds wonderful. This is IMO

The earmax pro anniversary has caught my attention. I love the earmax sound and while not for everyone. But there are only two headfiers I know who have this amp and they don't post very often so it is difficult to get an idea how they compare to the EMP.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back