Recommendations for PC Audio (and replacing current sound card)
Jan 6, 2021 at 6:06 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Aelemar

New Head-Fier
As the title states, I'm looking for recommendations for my audio setup. PC's main purpose is gaming, with light movie/music on the side.

Current Set-Up:

Sound Card: Creative Ae-9
Headphones: Beyerdynamic DT990 Premium (600 Ohms)
Somewhat cheap (but great) XLR microphone.
Both mic and headphones are connected to the AE-9 break-out box (ACM thing that has the headphone amplifier and phantom power stuff)

For the longest time, I've always used Creative products with SBX Pro Studio. Mostly, I've been happy with the results in gaming performance, however, the AE-9 has been giving me a ton of issues lately, to the point that I'm ready to try something else.
In fact, I recently RMA'd an AE-9 because the XLR port was not working, and purchased a new one while I wait for my warranty replacement. The new one works well... Except it refuses to turn on sometimes when I turn on my PC (as if it had no power, except it does) all possible fixes and troubleshooting has been done to no avail. The old card also presented this issue at times.
Bottom line is: I'm fed up with having to deal with it.

So I would like recommendations on the following:

Good DAC/AMP combo for PC, preferably USB audio (I would like to avoid my on-board audio, if possible) I'd say my budget is around $300, give or take.

I want a DAC/AMP that is able to drive my headphones with ease. I am interested in clear, distortion-free audio. I understand that different devices have different audio signatures, I am not concerned about that. Mainly, I want clean audio, as close to the source as possible. I would be interested in a device that can do both the job of a DAC and an AMP, since I don't want to have two separate devices sitting on my desk.

Alternatively:
Different sound card, and a desktop headphone amplifier. I hear the EVGA NU Audio has "very clean sound". Would that be something you guys would recommend? EVGA NU Audio + Amplifier.

Even a Creative card would do, although I am not sure what the difference between the AE-9 and AE-5 is. Once again, sound quality is important.

I am by no means an audiophile, although I studied music and played an instrument for many years. My ears can be... quite sensitive when it comes to audio artifacts whether in games/movies/ or music.

If possible, whichever suggestion you guys can offer, I would like for it to have the option of a "line in'", since I intend to connect my upcoming PS5 to this port and listen to console audio through my PC. Say, DAC/AMP that offers USB audio on PC, but also has a "line in" I can plug my PS5 into. I'm aware that I'll need an HDMI extractor to be able to use an optical cable with the PS5.

I did this in the past with my PS4. Connect PS4 optical cable to AE-9 "optical in", then "Listen to this device" in Windows and voila! Don't care much for surround sound on console, and stereo worked perfectly fine.

Ultimately, PC is where I do most of my gaming, so... PC takes priority.

As a side note: I've always used Creative's virtual surround systems (CMSS-3D, and now SBX) but recently I tried Spatial Sound Card and well... it sounds pretty great to my ears. To the point that I have disabled SBX and I am now using that instead.
I know that a lot of people prefer pure stereo for gaming, however, virtual surround is what I have gotten used to :) For music, stereo all the way!

Thank you very, very much for your suggestions. I can't describe in words just how annoyed I am with the issues this card is having (and the issues the previous card had). So much that after years of using creative products on all my PCs, I am finally ready to leave them behind.

Thanks again!

Last edited:
Jan 6, 2021 at 6:54 PM Post #2 of 6
Me, I would sell off the 600-Ohm DT990.
If your using the Spatial Sound card, which is software based, you really have no need for an add-on sound card (like the AE-9).
Maybe look into an external DAC/amp, that comes with a USB or S/PDIF optical input, which should work fine plugged into the PC's USB port or motherboard optical port.

Jan 7, 2021 at 10:04 AM Post #3 of 6
Me, I would sell off the 600-Ohm DT990.
If your using the Spatial Sound card, which is software based, you really have no need for an add-on sound card (like the AE-9).
Maybe look into an external DAC/amp, that comes with a USB or S/PDIF optical input, which should work fine plugged into the PC's USB port or motherboard optical port.

Thank you for the suggestion!
Personally, I do really like how the DT990 sounds. Although I could sell it and go for something that's easier to drive (250Ohms?) A good DAC/AMP combo is what I'm looking into currently.
As for Spatial Sound Card,it does sound good, although it seems to lack some of the "oomph" that SBX offers (especially on things like gunfire or explosions). I have to experiment more with the software, though. There is probably a way to make SSC more punchy in that department.

My other concern comes in the way of... console. I'd certainly like something I can plug a PS5 into, don't care much for surround when it comes to console gaming, though.

Jan 7, 2021 at 2:25 PM Post #4 of 6
Thank you for the suggestion!
Personally, I do really like how the DT990 sounds. Although I could sell it and go for something that's easier to drive (250Ohms?) A good DAC/AMP combo is what I'm looking into currently.
As for Spatial Sound Card,it does sound good, although it seems to lack some of the "oomph" that SBX offers (especially on things like gunfire or explosions). I have to experiment more with the software, though. There is probably a way to make SSC more punchy in that department.

My other concern comes in the way of... console. I'd certainly like something I can plug a PS5 into, don't care much for surround when it comes to console gaming, though.
For driving the 600-Ohm HT990, I would be looking into a tube (OTL) headphone amplifier, like a ($200) Darkvoice 336SE headphone amplifier.
But I never use my 600-Ohm DT990 (or 600-Ohm DT880), my 336SE just collects dust.
For a budget setup, a ($100) JDS Atom or Schiit Magni headphone amplifier.
And a USB DAC that works with both the PC and gaming console (optical connection possible option).

Jan 9, 2021 at 4:51 PM Post #5 of 6
For driving the 600-Ohm HT990, I would be looking into a tube (OTL) headphone amplifier, like a ($200) Darkvoice 336SE headphone amplifier.
But I never use my 600-Ohm DT990 (or 600-Ohm DT880), my 336SE just collects dust.
For a budget setup, a ($100) JDS Atom or Schiit Magni headphone amplifier.
And a USB DAC that works with both the PC and gaming console (optical connection possible option).
Once again, thank you for the suggestions!

I have decided to try the Mayflower ARC MK2.While a lot of people agree that it's a **bit** more expensive than it should be, a lot of reviews to also mention that it's a fairly decent piece of equipment. It's both a DAC and Amp all in one, should be able to power most headphones, and according to their website, it's compatible with PS5.

I have also decided to take your advice and get rid of the DT990s. I also happened to try the Audeze Mobius and... well, what can I say. Those things are freaking amazing. I was totally blown away by how good they sound, and as a result of that, I'm looking into planar magnetic headphones. Ultimately the Mobius was not for me: I thought I could get used to the closed back but... after being used to the open soundstage of the DT990s for the last two years, I don't think I can go back to a closed heaphone anymore.

I have ordered the Hifiman Sundara.

So basically, this is what I'm going to try in the coming days:

Mayflower Arc MK2
Hifiman Sundara

Connected to PC through USB, and I can just switch the cable when I have the PS5. I am very, very curious to see how the PS5s new "audio" sounds through these new cans...

Jan 9, 2021 at 5:40 PM Post #6 of 6
You might be able to connect to the PS5 with USB, while connecting to the PC using optical.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back