Recommendations for New Headphones 50-100 dollar range
Dec 7, 2010 at 8:56 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

Alpha009

New Head-Fier
Hi, as you can see this is my first post.  I honestly don't think i could handle the techy conversations that continously happen here, but I respect all your knowledge so I can actually find a decent pair of headphones.  Who knows though, I may get into this "audiophile buisness."

So for a christmas present, I am looking for 50-100 dollar range full size headphones that have good sound quality for the price.  Most of my collection is of high quality (192 kbps to 320 kbps, and when possible, my preferred bit rate of 200+ VBR).  I am planning to use these headphones for my computer and my ipod.  I will be going to college next year, and I suspect these will be my primary laptop headphones too.  I will probably be buying a macbook, have yet to decide though.  As a result, all this talk about amps that I dont quite follow (feel free to expand on that), I dont think i will be messing with, but the part of good bitrates are taken care of.  

My preferred music taste varies greatly.  I listen to many forms of electro (including the deep bass ones such as the genre dubstep)  I also listen to nearlly all forms of rock, to oldies such as led zepp, pink floyd, metallica, to modern ones.  These moderns could be punk, emo, and even screamo/metal music.  I also listen to a good amount of peaceful music with no lyrics (Boards of Canada, Mogwai, and Pretty Lights).  Finally, I like good rap, more of the lyrical kind rather than the mainstream stuff (ex. Immortal Technique, NaS).  So this may not really help, since its like everything, but i like pretty much all music except country. 

Well ther ya have it, sorry for the long post, but I assume you guys here would prefer more information as opposed to having to ask it.  Feel free to ask more info though.  Thanks for your time!

Dec 7, 2010 at 10:13 PM Post #3 of 14
Welcome back, I am also fairly new to this audiophile business and I wouldn't take my opinion as well formed because I haven't heard many headphones yet. What I can say is that for the price Grado is a good place to go, SR60s are great, I listen to a variety of music with them and they don't need an amp to sound amazing, especially if you haven't used many higher priced headphones. Have a look around the forums some more because people are constantly asking this question and some threads get great replies, I think people just get a little sick of seeing them though.

Dec 7, 2010 at 11:32 PM Post #5 of 14
Hey thanks so far, and ya I realize this has probably been asked before.  I searched the forum and I've found my share of info.  I just figured a more personal decision would be ideal.  Im not expected another whole debate as what happened on other threads.  I just would like some comparisons between these headphones for my situation. This is what i've narrowed it down too: ATH-M50, Grados SR80i, Seinhessers HD555, and Shure SRH440. 

I have also realized that i kinda threw the 50-100 range out and just made it 100 dollars or less.  I figure I should just get a quality one that lasts.  Also, thanks winma, but im looking for one that has been through more common use but ill take your word that those aurvana's sound good. 

Dec 8, 2010 at 6:52 PM Post #7 of 14

Quote:
bump... last chance, anyone?

I have the SR-80i and they are fantastic. After a bit of burn in, the bass begins to punch and come through better. The mids are fluid and the highs are nice and sparkly :D. The only thing is, I wouldn't suggest them for things like Dubstep, Drum n' Bass, or House. I use my "bass bloated" Koss PortaPros for that. My suggestion, grab the SR-80i for your rock, classical, and jazzy bits of music. Then, for about 30 some odd dollars on Amazon or even at BestBuy, pick up a pair of PortaPros. The bass is really great on those cans, and electronic music sounds fantastic! 

Just my 2 cents.

Dec 8, 2010 at 7:01 PM Post #8 of 14
SRH are really neutral, and are kinda of weak on bass, ath m50 are around 100 dollars if you order online, and they have good bass, and sr80 have good mids and highs, but burin in is nessecary. I would go with the ath

Dec 8, 2010 at 7:01 PM Post #9 of 14
hmm thanks! After some more research, im actually leaning towards the ath m50.  It makes sense that your grados work well for that type of music, and that use use your portapros for the deeper types (bass).  However, it seems for a little more cash, I could get a good balance for all these types of music from buying the ath m50, since its been said they are good for rock but also have great bass.  Perhaps in the future ill buy portapros since they are quite cheap, but as of right now I am looking for a headphone that could be decently great in all aspects, not just certain genres, since I would rather just worry about one pair.  As it seems, the ath m50 seem like the best for that, any thoughts on this conclusion?

Dec 8, 2010 at 7:04 PM Post #10 of 14

Quote:
SRH are really neutral, and are kinda of weak on bass, ath m50 are around 100 dollars if you order online, and they have good bass, and sr80 have good mids and highs, but burin in is nessecary. I would go with the ath

Ya well it seems i just added to the thread right after you posted this, but ya thanks, kinda confirmed my thoughts, any more confirmations on the ath? or other suggestions

Dec 8, 2010 at 7:12 PM Post #11 of 14

Quote:
Ya well it seems i just added to the thread right after you posted this, but ya thanks, kinda confirmed my thoughts, any more confirmations on the ath? or other suggestions

If you want a more balanced sound with a decent amount of bass, throw the Shure Srh440's on the list. 
They are more portable than the M50's. 

Dec 8, 2010 at 7:24 PM Post #12 of 14
Quote:

If you want a more balanced sound with a decent amount of bass, throw the Shure Srh840's on the list. They are more portable than the M50's. 

Note taken, however the ath m50 lowest price is 109.00, which is already stretching my budget.  Im willing to pay that but absolutely no higher.  It seems that those Shures are definetely in the 150+ price range

Dec 8, 2010 at 9:43 PM Post #14 of 14
Ok then, well ya they were on my list, thanks for the rec tho.  The Grados seem a bit bass lacking and I already have a pair of senns (HD205), and id prefer something new.  So im down to ATH M50 and the SRH 440.  I have also found a thread addressing a comparison between these two exactly, and also more comparison from google searches.  Guess these two cause a popular dilemma.  Anyways, I will figure out a decision from that. Thanks for the help! 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back