Recommendations for "New Age" listening phone
Jan 27, 2008 at 4:10 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

audiorapture

100+ Head-Fier
I listen to a lot of "New Age" music like "Kitaro", "David Arkenstone", Dead Can Dance", "Windham Hill" ; (and a lot of "Pandora Radio" while on my computer). I have the Senn650's and the AKG701's as well as the Beyer990pro's. But, I am sure I may be missing something that I am not aware of and would like to get more examples or opinions. (I want to add the Beyer 990 or 880's, but not necessarily just for "New Age" but everything else like U2 or Zepplin or any of the great Blues discs I have been lucky to collect). Are there any "Head-Fiers" who share any of these tastes? Is there any music group I should also be listening to that you can recommend along these lines of "New Age" or music of that style? ..Thanks in advance and best of luck to you and yours....

Jan 27, 2008 at 4:13 AM Post #2 of 11
I liked the K501s more than the K701s. I love them for that genre, try them
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 27, 2008 at 5:35 AM Post #4 of 11
You might also want to try out the top end Audio Technica open 'phone. Their sound signature goes well with New Age.

Jan 27, 2008 at 5:42 AM Post #5 of 11
I listen to a little bit of Kitaro and a lot of Dead Can Dance (one of my all-time favorites). I also listen to Robert Rich, Steve Roach, a little bit of Constance Demby, Nature's Harmony, etc.. I love 'em all with my Denon D2000 'phones.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 27, 2008 at 6:24 AM Post #6 of 11
New Age and some Zeppelin, U2, blues? Fix your sights on the Grado RS-1. A little pricey compared to the rest, but look for a used one around $500-$550.

Yes, it is worth it. While a lot of people call it a rock can (and they're not wrong) the RS-1 does mellow very well.

If you don't want to spend that much, try the DT880. It has a similar forward signature, but is more neutral overall. Great can, but it doesn't have that RS-1 magic.

You don't list an amp in your profile or sig, but try some tubes if you haven't. They'll be great with your music.

Jan 27, 2008 at 6:34 AM Post #7 of 11
thanks guys;
Rednamalas1; sorry I forgot to say it's a Meier Aria amp. It sounds a little different with each can, naturally, but not too much. I wish there was one size fits all power amp for all my phones to sound good on. I want to look in the $1,000 used range when school ends this June.
MatthewK; I don't remember ever hearing those Denon models so I might be on the lookout to check them out, thanks.
ClieOS; I remember at the last Wash,MD,Va show there was an ATH L3000, and man was it beautiful...out of my league, but beautiful...
Troymadison; too hooked on the 701's and 650's but given an oppertunity I might just try.
thanks again...

Jan 27, 2008 at 6:41 AM Post #8 of 11
thanks Uncle EriK....I was reading the 770 vs 880 vs the 990 and it's a tough choice for me. It's a toss-up between the 990's and the 880's. I wish they were side by side in my living room........I'm always afraid after I buy one thing, I'll find something better, or the deal cheaper the next day.

Jan 27, 2008 at 7:41 AM Post #9 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by audiorapture /img/forum/go_quote.gif
thanks guys;
Rednamalas1; sorry I forgot to say it's a Meier Aria amp. It sounds a little different with each can, naturally, but not too much. I wish there was one size fits all power amp for all my phones to sound good on. I want to look in the $1,000 used range when school ends this June.
MatthewK; I don't remember ever hearing those Denon models so I might be on the lookout to check them out, thanks.
ClieOS; I remember at the last Wash,MD,Va show there was an ATH L3000, and man was it beautiful...out of my league, but beautiful...
Troymadison; too hooked on the 701's and 650's but given an oppertunity I might just try.
thanks again...

If you have a chance, try BADA PH-12! amazing synergy with K701s.. does everything that you throw at well..except hard rock perhaps
biggrin.gif

I haven't tried anything higher end so there was my biased opinion
biggrin.gif

Jan 27, 2008 at 1:40 PM Post #10 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by ClieOS /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You might also want to try out the top end Audio Technica open 'phone. Their sound signature goes well with New Age.

I agree, if "top-end Audio-Technica" means ATH-AD700. New age was my primary genre before and I tried different cans with it. ATH-AD700 is the best I heard, endless soundstage and rare hypnotic, mesmerising abilitiy make it best choice for new age and ambient. It is better than more expensive AD900 and AD1000 in this regard. I did not EDIT:hear compare to AD2000 though.

2nd place is for Sony MDR-F1.

3rd is divided by Audio-Technica ATH-W1000 and Denon AH-D2000.

All of these cans are better for new age than DT990 or DT880, while both of Beyers are better than HD650 and HD595. Sorry, I have no experience with AKGs.

Jan 27, 2008 at 3:17 PM Post #11 of 11
Audio Technica woodies!! My ATH-W2002s do wonderful things to detailed, textured ambient music. I imagine they'd be great for new age as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back