Recommendations for high-end DAC with no volume control
Mar 2, 2019 at 1:14 AM Post #31 of 69
I too have heard great things about the Crane Song.. I forgot about that one. Though from what i've read it's not better then the Convert-2.. just different. Perhaps a good option if it can be found at a lower price for sure. Im pretty skeptical of anything with a 1543 in it. That's an extremely old DAC chip, there's been numerous DAC's based on it over the years. The 1541 was much better. I speak from experience.. you can find my post from probably a decade ago still on this forum in the Teradak Chameleon thread.

Last edited:
Mar 2, 2019 at 8:33 AM Post #32 of 69
Wait for a "used" tda 1543 Starting point systems, the difference with other implementation will be evident:minimal design … You will lost almost anything if you resell it 100 bucks compared to many thousand bucks paid with these other dacs like the crane in the illusory pursuit of an illusory perfection, musicality is not perfection of sound frequencies...For me I cannot imagine on what count the musicality of this dac can be improve and which details it does not musically reproduce... If it can be improve then at which cost in money and in the necessary trade-off implied in the added electronics complexities?...For example with my headphones and speakers I listen to 3-d holographic natural musicality, this dac make it possible because it is true to the files or the cd reproduction, but it is cleanliness that gives me that ultimately, and this dac does not interpose himself between the cd or the files and the speakers or headphone...It is like seeing a scenery without windows or frame, not an artificial"clean" sound, but music without frame...At the first listening this dac sound like it lacks details for example, but the details are here now with the same dac why? My system was not clean at this times...This dac though sound natural the first times I listen to it and it sound more natural and realistic now with cleanliness of the audio grid and the electrical grid... For sure if you have higher cost gear, very costly amplifier, and speakers and headphones, it seems ridiculous to buy a few bucks dac to pairing with....But the proof is listening and cleaning the audio grid and electrical grid... ok I apologize for my rant...Only my good intentions and the fact that you will loose nothing if you count me wrong at the end... Tda 1543 chip or tda 1541 sound different in different implementation then it is necessary to listen them before choosing...For me I bet on the more minimalistic design and the lowest noise threshold..

Some dac very very costly one are only laboratories in the making where the sound is worked in complex electronics and the microscopic improvement in "details" , costly indeed, are paid by the willing customers in a race toward the "perfect" sound... But the "perfect sound" does not exist only music exist for my ears...I bet more on the methods to get cleanliness at low costs with a minimalistic more than good cheap dac like this french dac… And i won...

Easy to resell if you does not want it after listening to it...

Money for me now, after 7 years here and many experiments in audio, does not always suffice to buy audio musicality, I know better, cleanliness is the ultimate goal for achieving that and minimal design beat complexities sometimes toward this goal...

Last edited:
Mar 2, 2019 at 7:06 PM Post #34 of 69
Zeos is an idiot. But it is a great dac. Though not at the level of Convert-2 and Crane Song Solaris. At least not for pure performance. Though it's form factor and features are unmatched at any price.

Mar 2, 2019 at 10:07 PM Post #35 of 69
Yeah, food for though for sure. I've read the entire thread on gearslutz comparing the Solaris and Convert-2, I may have to find a Solaris and give that a listen too.

Same for the RME DAC. I really really liked the Convert-2 but maybe I should take a step back and demo a few more before jumping the gun, it is fairly pricey. To be continued. I appreciate everyone's input and opinions!

Last edited:
Mar 6, 2019 at 8:30 AM Post #36 of 69
Very hard to find a Solaris to demo... From reading comparisons with the Convert-2 people seem to favor the Solaris overwhelmingly though.

What are your thoughts on the Benchmark Dac-3 compared with the RME? Anyone heard both? I've found a few thread comparing the two but nothing convincing enough.

Mar 6, 2019 at 9:21 AM Post #37 of 69
Very hard to find a Solaris to demo... From reading comparisons with the Convert-2 people seem to favor the Solaris overwhelmingly though.

What are your thoughts on the Benchmark Dac-3 compared with the RME? Anyone heard both? I've found a few thread comparing the two but nothing convincing enough.

The Convert 2 I feel is slightly technically weaker than the DAC3. The DAC3 is quite strong and as with all things Benchmark, is completely neutral and doesn't try to do anything to the overall presentation DAC side.

The ADI-2 is also pretty neutral, but not as good. For me, if I didn't care about having a headphone jack on the DAC itself I'd go with the DAC3, and if I did the Solaris is a decent travel option.

Mar 6, 2019 at 9:24 AM Post #38 of 69
The Convert 2 I feel is slightly technically weaker than the DAC3. The DAC3 is quite strong and as with all things Benchmark, is completely neutral and doesn't try to do anything to the overall presentation DAC side.

The ADI-2 is also pretty neutral, but not as good. For me, if I didn't care about having a headphone jack on the DAC itself I'd go with the DAC3, and if I did the Solaris is a decent travel option.
Solaris, travel option??

Mar 6, 2019 at 9:26 AM Post #39 of 69
Solaris, travel option??

Yeah, me and a couple people I know use it as a "hotel DAC/amp" that we take on international trips. Global voltage plus an integrated headphone jack that's not terrible.

Mar 6, 2019 at 9:35 AM Post #40 of 69

Thank you! I would really appreciate your opinion on dac-3 vs Solaris also. I don't need a headphone out, and will not travel with the unit I buy.

Mar 6, 2019 at 9:52 AM Post #42 of 69
Thank you! I would really appreciate your opinion on dac-3 vs Solaris also. I don't need a headphone out, and will not travel with the unit I buy.

In that case, the DAC3 is IMO slightly the stronger and less colored amp, and the solaris is brighter and more crisp. I do like both amps.

I forgot that the DAC3 also has a analog section, I might have to look into one myself if I can get it to run on 12v.

That's pretty wild. I thought the solaris was pretty big looking at pictures when it's used as a rack.

Travel to Hong Kong and you'll see some pretty intense "portable" setups. People running 230v desktop amps on the subway and such. It's a bit of a weird subculture.

Mar 6, 2019 at 10:10 AM Post #43 of 69
Brighter and more crisp will probably fit what I want better. I can find a DAC-3 to demo pretty easily, depending on how bright I find it, I might go with the Solaris instead. Thank you for your input!

Mar 6, 2019 at 10:14 AM Post #44 of 69
Brighter and more crisp will probably fit what I want better. I can find a DAC-3 to demo pretty easily, depending on how bright I find it, I might go with the Solaris instead. Thank you for your input!
I read the solaris is less bright out of its internal amp making it a 'good match'. Will you use an external amp?

Mar 6, 2019 at 10:30 AM Post #45 of 69
Yes it will be hooked up to my Singlepower MPX3 tube head amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back