Recommendations for Grados
Mar 11, 2010 at 2:37 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

Sophonax

500+ Head-Fier
Hello all,

Not too long ago, I picked up a pair of Grado SR60i, just to get an idea of the Grado sound. Though I thought the build quality and durability were substandard, even for $80 headphones, I was very pleasantly surprised by the sound, particularly at how they present rock music. They were promising enough that I am considering stepping up to a higher model in the Grado lineup.

That being said, I did have one major issue with the SR60i: at times I found them to be somewhat shrill, like there was a significant peak in the response somewhere. It seems to be in the upper-middle frequencies, and I usually notice it in vocals when listening to music.

Has anyone had a similar experience? Based on what I didn't like about the SR60i, can anyone recommend me which Grado headphones I might be interested in? Or even which ones I should stay away from?

Note: I am not interested in getting anything above the RS1i. I've overwhelmingly heard that the GS1000 and above lose the characteristic Grado sound, so I'm not particularly interested in those. Plus they're really expensive
biggrin.gif

Mar 11, 2010 at 2:50 PM Post #2 of 21
I have them for about a month now. I have the same feeling about them. At some points the high pitch are annoying expecially if the recording lacking. For rock they kick arse and so much fun to listen to. I would like to see what others will recommend.

Mar 11, 2010 at 2:51 PM Post #3 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sophonax /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Though I thought the build quality and durability were substandard, even for $80 headphones

That doesn't change significantly, even with the top-end Grado 'phones. Shell out enough for an RS1i and you'll get a leather headband and wood cups, but the basic build is the same.

Quote:

That being said, I did have one major issue with the SR60i: at times I found them to be somewhat shrill, like there was a significant peak in the response somewhere. It seems to be in the upper-middle frequencies, and I usually notice it in vocals when listening to music.

What source are you driving them from? You might look at higher-end models (like the RS1i) that have been dampened (though you can take a piece of blu-tack and stick it on the driver of any Grado phone), but I find the source is incredibly significant in avoiding shrillness in Grados.

Quote:

Has anyone had a similar experience? Based on what I didn't like about the SR60i, can anyone recommend me which Grado headphones I might be interested in? Or even which ones I should stay away from?

I don't have first-hand experience with them, but FWIR you should avoid the SR325[i]. Supposedly, that's even more intense than the normal Grado. Sounds like you're up for something like an RS1 or an SR225. The SR225 because it's probably the best bang-for-buck Grado around, and the RS1 because its damping and wood probably help with the shrillness you're trying to avoid.

Also, FWIR, you'd probably like the HF-2 (supposed to me more neutral than most Grados), if you don't mind tracking one down & shelling out $500 or so.

Mar 11, 2010 at 2:52 PM Post #4 of 21
Hi,

While I can't speak for the RS1 yet, I do think the HF-2 might be what you'll like. It has the tradmark Grado sound with a bit more warmth. They are much more refined than any from the Prestige line. Also the HF-2 is better extended on both sides of the spectrum. Especially noticed with the bass impact.

To me the HF-2 is a great headphone and if you like the Grado sound, the HF-2 improves upon it.

Peace

Mar 11, 2010 at 3:12 PM Post #5 of 21
another possibility is the magnum Grado by Rhydon. I know its still early but i'm waiting for the reviews to role in along with my own pair of modded sr325. You might be interested in sending in your pair for mod if your up to it.

Mar 11, 2010 at 3:17 PM Post #6 of 21
I had the opportunity to listen to RS2i's and GS1000i at JnR music world in NYC. Un ampped and was driven straight from a receiver. The RS2i sound is really involving. There was alot going on and in your face. Typical Grado but I thought it was alittle bright in the vocals. The bass was tight. I thought they were really fun to listen to especially unampped. The GS1000i's had a huge sound stage. Sounded like you were sitting in big arena. That's was all I can tell from them becasue they we're screaming for more juice.

Mar 11, 2010 at 4:15 PM Post #7 of 21
well, one thing you need to realize is that part of what you like about Grado headphones is what you're wanting to get rid of. That forwardness it presents rock music with is a result of a 4 kHz peak, which is also what causes them to be piercing and shrill on high notes.

The reason is that for most things 4k-6k are presence frequencies, but on higher pitches they are higher order harmonics, and when higher order harmonics are louder, music sounds more piercing and not just present.

Mar 11, 2010 at 4:18 PM Post #8 of 21
definitely look into the HF2s, they seem to match what you are looking for

Mar 11, 2010 at 4:18 PM Post #9 of 21
I love my 325i goldie :p

Mar 11, 2010 at 4:25 PM Post #10 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hksvr4 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I had the opportunity to listen to RS2i's and GS1000i at JnR music world in NYC. Un ampped and was driven straight from a receiver. The RS2i sound is really involving. There was alot going on and in your face. Typical Grado but I thought it was alittle bright in the vocals. The bass was tight. I thought they were really fun to listen to especially unampped. The GS1000i's had a huge sound stage. Sounded like you were sitting in big arena. That's was all I can tell from them becasue they we're screaming for more juice.

I have the Grado RS2is. They are a little bright, but not shrill. I think the RS2i is the lowest priced Grado with a relatively (relative to other Grados) smooth sound. That being said, I also understand that the SR225s have a relatively flat frequency response.

Mar 11, 2010 at 7:00 PM Post #11 of 21
The 225i will probably be the popular choice, although personally I didn't think the 225 was appreciably better than my 80. Maybe take a look at the Allessandros?

Mar 11, 2010 at 7:33 PM Post #12 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by aristos_achaion /img/forum/go_quote.gif
[The build quality] doesn't change significantly, even with the top-end Grado 'phones. Shell out enough for an RS1i and you'll get a leather headband and wood cups, but the basic build is the same.

Yeah I know...it's kind of depressing to me and makes me wonder if I really want to spend $700 on a pair of headphones that have more or less the same build quality as $80 headphones...
frown.gif

Quote:

What source are you driving them from?

Anything from an iPod to a Headroom Desktop Amp...I have more or less the same problem with all these amps/dacs.

Quote:

Also, FWIR, you'd probably like the HF-2 (supposed to me more neutral than most Grados), if you don't mind tracking one down & shelling out $500 or so.

Interesting...I'll have to look into that one. So far from what everyone's posted, it seems that I will probably go with either the SR225i or the HF-2. For those that have heard both the SR60i and the SR225i, how do they differ? Does the SR225i have a smoother response -- that is, do they still have this shrill sound that I'm getting from my SR60i?

Mar 11, 2010 at 8:00 PM Post #13 of 21
I have both the HF-2 and the RS1 and had the 325is. From what you've described and your concern over shrillness you can count me as another vote for the HF-2. (Usually) a little less expensive than the RS1 and I see them in the FS forum here all the time so it shouldn't be too hard to get your hands on a pair.

Mar 11, 2010 at 8:12 PM Post #15 of 21
Bare in mind that just changing pads on Grados changes them alot!!!
Senn yellow 414 pads, sock mod, flats, comfies, bowls, gs1000 bowls, quarter-hole mods, etc.

Warm Grados- Igrado, 225, HF2. Otherwise go for Allessandro.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back