Recommendations for Grados
Mar 11, 2010 at 8:17 PM Post #16 of 21
RS1 is similar to the SR60 in sound signature, but without the screechy highs when I heard them. My HF-2s are far more balanced, and don't have nearly as much highs and a lot more low end than the RS1s I heard, but they have the fantastic midrange of the Grado line.

Mar 11, 2010 at 8:18 PM Post #17 of 21
@OP, what I feel the difference between the 60 and the 225 is extension and refinement. As you move up the Grado line you get noticeably increased levels of refinement. Bass also extends further and is better controlled with the 225 over the 60.

That said, the HF-2 is better than the 225. It's warmer, less aggressive, even more refined, and the bass has the most impact of the Grados I've heard. Plus they work well with both the bowls and jumbos. I prefer the jumbos.

Mar 11, 2010 at 8:39 PM Post #18 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by aristos_achaion /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't have first-hand experience with them, but FWIR you should avoid the SR325[i]. Supposedly, that's even more intense than the normal Grado.

I don't get it. You don't have first-hand experience, but recommending avoiding them??

Anyway, I do have the latest iteration. With LOTS of breaking in (60-80 hours or so), that top end recedes into a very nice sounding headphone. This also requires some good quality amplification to bring out the bottom end so that it balances the extended top end. The SR225i sounds warmer because it sounds more rolled off on top. The SR325is is a better headphone if everything in front of it is of high quality. The SR225i will be more forgiving. Again, it needs plenty of break-in to relax the top end.

Mar 11, 2010 at 9:19 PM Post #19 of 21
Go with the RS1i... it is the best of the grado house sound. The SR225i is awesome but you will end up upgrading later. The SR325i was a bit of a disappointment to me; way too sibiliant, screechy and it had poor bass response (they look cool though).

The alessandro MS-Pro might also be a nice choice but it will take away a bit of that classic grado edge.

I would agree with you and stay away from the GS1000. When I heard them I was confused. They lost any of that grado signature sound and the soundstage was so expansive and unnatural. It caused the imaging of the instruments to be so seperated that it didn't make sense to my ears.

Mar 11, 2010 at 10:18 PM Post #20 of 21
My vote is for the HF2 as the best all round choice. It's a refined 325i with great bass definition, though not in the same class as the GS1000 and/or PS1000. The mids / highs are just liquid and luscious. The SR225i isn't too bad, either, but it's somewhat less refined, especially at the lower end. But I'd get that one if a HF2 isn't available for purchase. The SR325i is a slightly more "risky" proposition so an audition might be in order; even some Grado heads find them fatiguing (though not me).

The GS1000 and PS1000 are an acquired taste and in a world of their own. They offer a larger soundstage but you lose some of that in your face sound. I do think the PS1000 is a great compromise between the GS1000 and the RS1, though. Mids are somewhat farther to the back (though not losing one bit of detail) but the bass is just phenomenal.
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 12, 2010 at 5:22 AM Post #21 of 21
Though it's been a long time since I heard the prestige line, my vote would be the HF-2. Having owning a pair now they much better than the prestige line up. However, I hear good things about the RS line up. But, if you can grab a pair of HF-2 do, they're worth it. Out of the prestige line, I would have the say the SR225 is the most balanced. While I like the SR325 for rock, it's far too aggressive for my taste.

For Alessandro's they're great for their price, especially non-americans, unless you buy your grado used.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back