Recommendations for full-sized headphones for use with an iPhone?
Nov 2, 2012 at 5:55 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

JulesK

Head-Fier
All - I've enjoyed this site tremendously, and it led me to the purchase of my Westone ES5.  I went with a custom IEM because I've been completely deaf in one ear since birth.  I could get a single IEM with a custom-cable that combined both channels, so I saved quite a bit of money.  As much as I love the ES5, it's not tremendously convenient to take on/off with any frequency, and sometimes I'd rather not listen to music with something jammed, however lovingly, into my ear.  So, I started looking at headphones, listened to a number of them, and decided to open it up to the forum.

What I'm looking for is:
-Relatively neutral, although I do like more treble presence than what the ES5 has; bass emphasis definitely not a priority
-Great clarity (ideally at lower volumes, too)
-Must be capable of being adequately driven by an iPhone 4S.  I've toyed with the idea of getting a portable DAC/amp, but realistically, that's more commitment than I have right now.  I don't, however, listen to music at loud volumes, so something that maintains richness/body even at lower volumes would be great.
-Comfortable enough to be worn with glasses; light would be nice, too, but not a dealbreaker
-Soundstage - Not relevant; I listen in "mono" mode on the iPhone
-Isolation - Not relevant; I'll be listening in very quiet environments, and any sound leakage will not bother anyone
-iPhone controls/mic on the cable - Wouldn't turn them down, but not a priority for these
-Cost isn't really a factor; I'm willing to pay for the right headphone

I tried the Sennheiser Momentum and liked it a lot, but the mids were a bit wanting unless I turned up the volume.  I tried what's available at the local Apple store (B&W P5, P3, some HK, etc.), but really want something with great sound.  I ended up returning the Momentums I ordered, but if nothing better shows up, I'm willing to re-order them.  I'm interested in the Sony MDR-1R, but want to make sure I'm not missing anything.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back