recommendations for female music?
Aug 7, 2004 at 4:06 PM Post #91 of 103
Quote:

Originally Posted by rauer
Partly inspired by this thread I ended up buying Bachelor no. 2, Lost in Space and the Magnolia soundtrack by Aimee Mann.

I hadn't even heard of her before - even though I now realize I had heard her music in Magnolia. She's absolutely brilliant, especially Lost in Space is a classic. Highly recommended.

congrats rauer! she has a beautiful voice, no? slightly detached and cool yet able to convey such a wide range of emotions. it helps too that her songs are more often than not incredibly catchy and her lyrics solid.
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 9, 2004 at 1:54 PM Post #94 of 103
here's 2 more recommendations - i posted these in another thread, but on second thought, it would be criminal to leave these out from this thread:

AMéLIE-LES-CRAYONS: Le Chant des Coquelicots
(quirky french cafe music - simple, light, refreshing)

DAUGHTER DARLING: Sweet Shadows
(think portishead crossed with tori amos - incredible trip-hop tunes)

but you wont find these 2 albums anywhere in the stores, you'll have to head down to www.cdbaby.com - an incredible site to browse, preview (yes preview!) and purchase music from nothing but independent artistes.

and re: my earlier recommendation of bebel gilberto's album 'bebel gilberto': extended listening to it has only solidified my initial impressions that it is a perfect album to relax and chill out to if your musical tastes lean towards jazz and bossa nova in general, and it's superbly recorded to boot! one of the best albums i've ever heard soundwise! check ebay for this album.

Aug 9, 2004 at 4:56 PM Post #95 of 103
Quote:

Originally Posted by adhoc
DAUGHTER DARLING: Sweet Shadows
(think portishead crossed with tori amos - incredible trip-hop tunes)

I have to second this recommendation... natalie has a great voice
wink.gif

The whole CD is decent with a few songs really standing out... I got one of the first run of 100 and it was signed by the band... unfortunately some of the CD 'tines' were crushed in transit and since it is one of the cases where the jacket is the case... you cant really replace it
frown.gif

adhoc... do you post on either tripnotic.de, tripofagia.com or frequent the trip hop room on slsk under a different name? The only reason I ask is that it is rare for someone outside that 'circle' to have heard of them...

Aug 9, 2004 at 9:56 PM Post #96 of 103
Quote:

Originally Posted by philodox
I have to second this recommendation... natalie has a great voice
wink.gif

The whole CD is decent with a few songs really standing out... I got one of the first run of 100 and it was signed by the band... unfortunately some of the CD 'tines' were crushed in transit and since it is one of the cases where the jacket is the case... you cant really replace it
frown.gif

adhoc... do you post on either tripnotic.de, tripofagia.com or frequent the trip hop room on slsk under a different name? The only reason I ask is that it is rare for someone outside that 'circle' to have heard of them...

actually.. no.
wink.gif

i found them completely by chance while trawling www.cdbaby.com, had a listen, and was hooked. and i was trawling www.cdbaby.com because i happened to get curious one day as to which online retailers accepted paypal (they do).

so i suppose i could thank my outstanding paypal balance for setting me off on a journey that both expanded my musical horizons and is currently wrecking my wallet.
plainface.gif
wink.gif

Aug 9, 2004 at 11:32 PM Post #97 of 103
cool, cdbaby is a great place to find new stuff...

hmmm, better throw in a recommendation here instead of hijacking the thread....

u-topia

its a band from Italy that does not have any global distribution that I am aware of... I havent heard their newest album, but their first two are amazing ['u-topia' and 'background door']... very sweet sounding vocals with some very good dark trip hop... one of my favourites

the only way you can get any of the CD's is by PM'ing 'kiara' [the singer] on tripnotic.de or tripofagia.com

not sure how often she frequents the sites any more, but its something like $5 a CD, well worth it
biggrin.gif

Edit: if anyone wants to check them out PM me and I can probably find her email address... there are also samples on their website http://www.u-topia.co.uk [I recommend 'Mr' and 'Sleep forever' to start]

Aug 9, 2004 at 11:47 PM Post #98 of 103
this thread got me to realizing that i put more women on my player than i thought. something about that vocal range on pop guitar based music; both hard to reproduce and great to listen to, even if the lyrics don't engage. kind of like opera; i don't know italian, french, etc.

so i picked up Corrs/Unplugged and Sundays/Blind.

Good Stuff.

Aug 11, 2004 at 4:55 AM Post #99 of 103
Nobody has mentioned Denali?!

Check out Denali, you wont be disappointed.

Aug 12, 2004 at 3:01 PM Post #100 of 103
Quote:

Originally Posted by robert
don't take my word for it: *buy* the august issue of DownBeat. read the letters. 'nough said.

as has been true for millenia: the clan decides who can join. she ain't jazz.

redface.gif

Whatever. We'll just have to disagree. I really don't care what a bunch of letter writers who happened to get printed in a jazz rag have to say about Krall's "legitimacy" as a jazz artist anyway. My original comment still stands - they need to get their noses out of the air. I'm sure you could find just as many people who feel the opposite is true. It's ironic that some feel the need to put such rigid restrictions on a musical genre that's defined by improvisation and individual interpetation.

And now, back to your originally scheduled program...

Nov 11, 2004 at 2:56 PM Post #101 of 103
This is an old thread, but I'm new here and I just wanted to contribute because I listen to alot of Female Vocalists.

Good stuff I think was already mentioned:

Goldfrapp
Portishead (Beth Gibbons solo work too)
Bjork
Cranes
Dido
Elastica
Cardigans

Good stuff that might not have been mentioned: (some of these women don't have beautiful voices, some do, but it's about the whole musical package)

Distillers
Metric
Ruby
Broadcast
Carina Round
Cibo Matto
Creatures
Sahara Hotnights
Garbage
Jack Off Jill
Yeah Yeah Yeah's
Jem
Kidney Thieves
Lhooq
Luscious Jackson
Republica
Moa
Mono
Nina Gordon
Veruca Salt
Ollano
Poe
Radio Iodine
Snake River Conspiracy
Sneaker PimpsSpalding Rockwell
Supreme Beings of Liesure
Laika
Baxter

There are alot of different types of music in this list. Make sure you hear a sample before buying. It's not for everyone.

Nov 11, 2004 at 4:11 PM Post #102 of 103
Quote:

Originally Posted by MrMajestic
This is an old thread, but I'm new here and I just wanted to contribute because I listen to alot of Female Vocalists.

no worries mate- in my book, the more (recommendations), the merrier.
smily_headphones1.gif

Quote:

Jack Off Jill

haha! priceless.
wink.gif

Nov 12, 2004 at 3:44 PM Post #103 of 103
Carole King (how many artists have covered her songs?)

Joni Mitchell (again how many artists have covered her songs?)

Nina Persson (Cardigans)

Louise Rhodes (Lamb)

Sarah Cracknell (Saint Etienne)

Diana Krall (a bit deep but technically brilliant)

Lisa Ekdahl (Swedish stunner with a voice to dream to)

Lisa Gerrard (Dead Can Dance)

Norah Jones (smoooth)

Katie Melua (sweet)

Nina Simone (she's been through it and her voice tells it like it is)

Sarah Vaughn (ditto)

Ella Fitzgerald (brilliant - boy she knows how to sing!)

Billie Holiday (jazz phrasing par excellence!)

Aretha Franklin (Queen of Soul)

Dusty Springfield ('Spooky' is a great song for instance...)

Anita Baker (real soul)

Eva Cassidy (although her delivery can be a bit OTT)

Joss Stone (ditto the OTT delivery but there's real talent there)

Erykah Badu (Baduism is her best...)

Jill Scott (but only her first album...)

India Arie (anyone hear 'Acoustic Soul'? Beautiful...)

Astrud Gilberto (The Girl from Ipanema...)

Kate Rogers (the Aim collaborator...)

And finally:

Eloisia (from the EXCELLENT 'Nouvelle Vague' with her sexy French accent... Especially when she sings 'In A Manner Of Speaking')

Users who are viewing this thread

Back