Recommendations for extension cable.
Mar 9, 2009 at 12:38 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

Zaubertuba

100+ Head-Fier
My listening location is across the room from my media server, so my headphone cable stretches across the room. If my frontend seems lacking I am looking at an external DAC or HT/Asus soundcard solutions.

I originally thought I'd go for an outboard DAC, and run SPDIF coaxial from my server to my listening location, but I'm realizing the soundcard solutions may better serve my uses/pricepoints.

Any recommendations for a quality 6' - 10' extension cable, with minimal loss/degradation?

Alternatively, I am a bit of a "tinkerer" and have been drooling over the cables on the DIY thread. Would I be better off "rolling my own" custom long cable for my HD555's (Heck I'm still just now burning them in) ?

Sorry I did search on extension cable recommendations but didn't find anything. Maybe I'm just another "search engine challenged" newbie.
wink.gif

Mar 9, 2009 at 5:43 AM Post #4 of 14
I have one of thier SVT headphone for extreme isolation ( From the Kids) and a few of thier cables ( dual RCA IC and 3.5 to dual RCA). I got Maxwell ( Maxwell Milian) to send me one of the standard SPOFC cables they use on thier headphones to make an upgraded Cable for my Ultrasone Pro 900's. Really great guy and the site is so full of info

Mar 12, 2009 at 8:34 PM Post #7 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by boomy3555 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Most of the high end cables will be somewhat stiff. I find the "Tech Flex" to be a bit stiffer than the nylon braided.

The stiffness caused me problems because of the placemen of my equipment, my listening area and the objects it had to traverse to get from point A to B. I think in a less busy area it would have been fine.

Jul 7, 2009 at 1:28 AM Post #12 of 14
Any feedback on the Mogami extension cable? I will be using approximately 10-15'. TIA.

Jul 7, 2009 at 3:00 AM Post #13 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How about the Grado extension cable? I've had one for a few years - it holds up well and works fine.

X2 for Grado cables. They are cheap and good. Thick and insulated but flexible. Accordingly to Grado website, they claim no degradation of music.
smily_headphones1.gif

ANyway, a little tweak i pick up along the way is to suspend cables and not let them touch the ground. Helps a bit.
ph34r.gif

Jul 7, 2009 at 3:18 AM Post #14 of 14
^^^^^

You know, I had the Grado extension cable years ago when I had Grado phones. You guys are probably right. Worked well then and will work fine now. Thanks. Funny you mentioned getting it off the ground -- I used to suspend my speaker cables on ceramic supports to keep them off the ground.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back