Recommendations for DAC/AMP to pair with TOTL headphones?
Jul 17, 2018 at 5:41 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

Cerebrum2045

New Head-Fier
Hello,

I recently upgraded/entered what is considered my current "endgame" of headphones.

From my AKG-K701/DT 770 I upgraded to HD800 SDR/ZMF Eikon (padauk).

I was planning on getting the Mimby + Magni 3 + Valhalla 2 for my DAC, solid state amp and tube amps needs. (these total for around 750-800 which is my budget) I currently own a xonar essence stx I sound card.

I was wondering if there were better any better DACs, solid state amps, tube amps I should consider looking into or combining to give me the best experience for my budget of $800 to spend.

Thank you! :)

Last edited:
Jul 17, 2018 at 6:04 PM Post #2 of 18
What ohm version of the DT770s do you have? If its the 250 ohm version all of your headphones,except for the K701 would sound great from a tube amp.

Personally I would get a nice tube amp now and perhaps an entry level Schiit DAC,and then when funds permit upgrade the DAC.

Jul 17, 2018 at 6:19 PM Post #3 of 18
I agree with @Monsterzero on this one. I love the 800’s from tubes as well as the Eikons I own the 800’s and have heard the Eikons from tubes as well and like them a lot from a good tube amp which I have but would double your budget on the amp alone. The 800’s are also very nice from a Bottlehead Crack which is in kit form but not real hard to assemble and runs $299 and $414 with Speedball. I’m not a big fan of Schiit amps and had the V2 for about 3 weeks before I sent it off to someone else. It had lots of power but one of the non tube sounding tube amps I’ve heard very bright to me so it had to go. I would make a exception for the Mjolnir 2 as I liked it with the Ether-C’s.

Jul 17, 2018 at 6:27 PM Post #4 of 18
If you have funds now this just dropped today. I used to own it until I upgraded to a GOTL. The La Figaro 339 is an excellent tube amp.
Buke mentioned the Bottlehead Crack+Speedball upgrade,which is also very nice,but requires you to put it together yourself.

If you want to get close to end-game territory,you can order a Glenn Studios OTL(GOTL) in its basic form,which I believe is around $700.00. The downside to it though is it can take a few months for it to be built,but it is hands down the best OTL I've ever heard below $4000.00

Like Buke,I am also not a fan of Schiit amps.

Last edited:
Jul 17, 2018 at 6:37 PM Post #5 of 18
@Monsterzero I own the 250 ohm for the DT770s. So the mimby (will fulfill my entry dac) along with the magni (seems like a good deal to have for an entry SS amp) used are around $250. This leaves around 550 for the tube amp.
I will take a look at the La Figaro, the GOTL being something for a future upgrade since it looks like production time will be awhile.
@buke9 Awesome, I'll take a look at the Bottlehead Crack + Speedball this seems to fit into the budget left after dac and ss amp.
Thanks for the feedback guys.

Jul 17, 2018 at 6:38 PM Post #6 of 18
Have yet to hear a Glenn but so many people love it on my list to hear sometime.

Jul 17, 2018 at 6:41 PM Post #7 of 18
I will take a look at the La Figaro, the GOTL being something for a future upgrade since it looks like production time will be awhile.

Understand though that the La Figaro on Massdrop wont ship until September. You might get lucky and be able to have a GOTL before then. As I stated the 339 is a very nice tube amp with gobs of power,but the GOTL is in another league entirely.

Jul 17, 2018 at 6:46 PM Post #8 of 18
Have yet to hear a Glenn but so many people love it on my list to hear sometime.

I realize its not close to you but I beleieve there will be one at an upcoming Florida meet. If driving lots of miles to hear it doesnt appeal to you,you might be able to ask around in the Glenn thread if theres someone nearby.

Come to think of it I believe Glenn lives in Tennessee.

Jul 17, 2018 at 6:54 PM Post #9 of 18
I realize its not close to you but I beleieve there will be one at an upcoming Florida meet. If driving lots of miles to hear it doesnt appeal to you,you might be able to ask around in the Glenn thread if theres someone nearby.

Come to think of it I believe Glenn lives in Tennessee.
That is a bit too far for me to go to a meet ; ) but I have been as far as Atlanta and probably going back again to Pittsburgh before making it to RMAF in the fall. Will just have to wait till one shows up somewhere or maybe bonus time but the new ZMF amp is getting my attention at the moment.

Jul 17, 2018 at 7:01 PM Post #10 of 18
Yep that looks like it's going to be a beast.
Zach sent Glenn an Auteur to have a GOTL built specifically for it .
You might ask Zach if he will bring it to RMAF

Jul 17, 2018 at 7:49 PM Post #11 of 18
Yep that looks like it's going to be a beast.
Zach sent Glenn an Auteur to have a GOTL built specifically for it .
You might ask Zach if he will bring it to RMAF
My Kenzie is ok with the Abyss but 3 Watts of Amps and Sound would be awesome ; )

Jul 17, 2018 at 8:16 PM Post #12 of 18
I support the Modi Multibit plus Bottlehead Crack plus Speedball plus very nice tubes suggestion. Anyone can build that amp and plenty of people will help you troubleshoot here and on the Bottlehead forums if necessary.

Jul 17, 2018 at 11:45 PM Post #13 of 18
From my AKG-K701/DT 770 I upgraded to HD800 SDR/ZMF Eikon (padauk).

I was planning on getting the Mimby + Magni 3 + Valhalla 2 for my DAC, solid state amp and tube amps needs. (these total for around 750-800 which is my budget) I currently own a xonar essence stx I sound card.

I was wondering if there were better any better DACs, solid state amps, tube amps I should consider looking into or combining to give me the best experience for my budget of $800 to spend.

Why do you need two amps? Just get one DAC-HPamp or one DAC and one HPamp.

AudioGD NFB-11
Burson Audio Play
Violectric V200 with DAC board option or Modi2/ODAC Rev B
Meier Classic FF and Modi2/ODAC Rev B
WooAudio WA6 and Modi2/ODAC Rev B
Burson Soloist SL and Modi2/ODAC Rev B

Jul 18, 2018 at 12:02 AM Post #14 of 18
Jul 18, 2018 at 12:17 AM Post #15 of 18
@ProtegeManiac I wanted to get a good solid state amp to build my base. Then get a decent tube amp to get the "tube sound" that drives/scales the HD800 and the ZMF Eikons well. Also, heard tubes take awhile to warm up, having a magni amp wouldn't hurt.
Also thanks for suggestions.
@buke9@Monsterzero any thoughts on the Massdrop x Alex Cavalli Tube Hybrid Amp (CTH)? Definately low on my budget scale but seems to be good for price/perf. Crack/Speedball seems to be perfect range for budget but do not feel comfortable on assembly.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back