Recommendations for an IEM to be used as an IEM?
Jan 31, 2008 at 9:33 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

santiu

Head-Fier
Hey all. I was hoping to tap into the wealth of experience here to get some suggestions for an IEM to actually be used in a live music setting.

Strong bass is important for me. Obviously the amount of isolation is also important.

I was hoping to spend around $150, but I guess I could go for a bit more as I noticed the Ety ER-4s are just a tad more on amazon.com.

thanks for any suggestions/comments
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 31, 2008 at 10:22 PM Post #2 of 7
The Er-4 wont be comfortable on stage I think....
And they are not famous of their bass....

You have to chose to increase Your limit or go back to cheaper IEMs, because 150$ is just at the edge of the better ones...

Look at the Ultimate Ears fuper.fi 5 pro.

Jan 31, 2008 at 10:48 PM Post #3 of 7
I'd say buy the Altec Lansing iM716, get it de-podded and then have some custom tips made for you (this place is cheap). You'll get similar sq, better comfort and isolation as well as still be hovering around your $150 price range.

Jan 31, 2008 at 11:16 PM Post #4 of 7
Can anyone comment on the Ultimate Ears super.fi 5 pro's isolation? Looks like those are around my price range.

I was hoping to spend around $150, but i could conceivably go up to $200, maybe more, especially as I look around and custom is becoming more appealing.

That HearYourself.com looks interesting I'll need to look into that.

Also, do you guys have any suggestions for any other budget minded custom fit in-ears around? I have some custom Ety musician's earplugs that I use and i find that to be much more comfortable than the standard IEM. A couple years back I tried the adapter to allow you to stick the ER6 instead of the filter, but it sounded absolutely god awful (maybe they enough complaints as I don't seem to see this item on their website anymore).

In fact there is where my reservation comes in about using a mold from HearYourself + some other IEM as opposed to a true custom built unit.

thanks for the help! Looks like i have a lot of research to do for myself
biggrin.gif

Jan 31, 2008 at 11:26 PM Post #6 of 7
Livewires can be found here. These are a good recommendation if you're not exactly fond of the universal+custom tip solution.

Feb 1, 2008 at 2:22 AM Post #7 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by FeedMeTrance /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Have you had a look at LiveWires, custom earphones for $249. People around here with them seem to like them quite a bit.

Quote:

Originally Posted by khbaur330162 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Livewires can be found here. These are a good recommendation if you're not exactly fond of the universal+custom tip solution.

I'm a Livewires fan myself but their isolation is not as good as some general IEMs with the right tips. And I'm not listening to them in a live situation, just for personal use.
biggrin.gif

Another musician on here - I've forgotten who but will update this entry if I find the details - tried both Livewires and Atrios M5s, which have a very good bass response - to my mind excessive but might suit your needs. He preferred the Atrios for live gig work.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back