Recommendations for an all rounder kinda bassy headphones?
Apr 24, 2020 at 3:07 PM Post #16 of 22
I will second the recommendation on the K371. I will say this though. I bought mine new. After 3 months, they sounded tinny and boxy. Before, they were very rich and deep. I was thoroughly surprised.
If you don’t mind bluetooth, I highly recommend the N700NC M2 from AKG. They have the very punchy, shaking kind of bass you are looking for. But the bass is very tight, detailed and doesn’t drown out the mods and highs. It’s great for all music styles as well as movies. I use mine every night for that.

I’m with you about having 2x12s in a car and looking for that experience in headphones. The N700NC M2 is spot on. You can find them new on eBay. I got mine for $120. I hope this helps.
thanks for recommendation, i looked into those n700nc, they actually seem really good, but I'll probably look into them again when I'm looking for a bluetooth set later, i read that a lot of people find them uncomfortable after extended use, so they're probably best for going out, i'll look up reviews on the k371's to see if many other people had the same problem, thank you

Apr 24, 2020 at 3:12 PM Post #17 of 22
Finally got the 99 Noirs! Big fan! There is a hefty amount of bass and they are a very warm headphone. But, its not to the exclusion of mids and highs.
@pauly01, I've experienced a similar thing with my K371s. I don't know if its the actual headphones or my hearing, but there is definitely a difference between the first time and now.
I suspect a defect in the drivers. Possibly even poor solder joint. Who knows? But that would explain the varying reviews online. I thought ZEOS (z reviews) was full of crap. 3 months later and I heard what he heard. I sent mine in for warranty repair. Still waiting.

Apr 24, 2020 at 3:13 PM Post #18 of 22
I suspect a defect in the drivers. Possibly even poor solder joint. Who knows? But that would explain the varying reviews online. I thought ZEOS (z reviews) was full of crap. 3 months later and I heard what he heard. I sent mine in for warranty repair. Still waiting.

Yeah... I actually watched his review of them after I started noticing a difference in the sound and I thought his review was spot on with my experience.

Apr 24, 2020 at 3:15 PM Post #19 of 22
Finally got the 99 Noirs! Big fan! There is a hefty amount of bass and they are a very warm headphone. But, its not to the exclusion of mids and highs.
@pauly01, I've experienced a similar thing with my K371s. I don't know if its the actual headphones or my hearing, but there is definitely a difference between the first time and now.
Comparing the noirs and the k371s, do you find the noirs better or they both just excel in different ways?\

Apr 24, 2020 at 3:46 PM Post #20 of 22
Comparing the noirs and the k371s, do you find the noirs better or they both just excel in different ways?\

Definitely excel in different ways.
Some people find the 99 Noir sound signature to be very dark. To be sure, it is an exceptionally warm sound signature. I would say, however, that it makes them more chill than dark. The bass is very present, but isn't muddy. You feel it, but its tight. It doesn't take away from the mids. I can't really say much to the highs though. I think they do their job well, you get a lot of those little details, but they're not necessarily up front. 99 Noirs are, in my opinion, more comfortable and I like the overall build quality and aesthetic of them over the K371s. The biggest advantage of the 99 Noirs over the K371s is that really smooth over any track and make it sound good. Again, they're a chill, "lay back and relax" type of headphone. Though, they also do have better depth and imaging than the K371s. A couple times a vocalist would join in with a weird, quiet whisper sort of singing and it scared the crap out of me because I legit thought they were standing behind and to the right of me. You just don't get that with the K371s.

The K371s are still warm, but they have a more aggressive presentation of detail than the 99 Noirs. The 99 Noirs have detail, but they aren't really in your face about it. That's not to say that the K371s are, not like something like the DT1770s, but more so than the 99 Noirs.

Even though they're both closed-back dynamic driver headphones, its really hard to compare the two accurately because they have such different sound signatures. Even though the K371s do have a warmer signature, I still consider them my analytical headphone because of the presentation of detail. I'm more likely to wear the K371s if I want to intently listen to a song and pick out those little details, etc. But, if I want to really feel the music and just enjoy it, I go 99 Noirs. Maybe they're too warm for a lot of people, but its just an enjoyable, musical experience for me across a lot of genres.

That's to be expected though. The AKG K371s are advertised as a studio professional headphone, the 99 Noirs are not.

Last edited:
Apr 24, 2020 at 5:48 PM Post #21 of 22
Thanks for the response guys, sorry its been a while since i've been on but i looked up the meze 99s they look like they have really good bass response, but the mids and highs look like they lack a fair bit, but if u guys are willing to bet on it, i guess they're probably really good lol. I probably won't find a better set of headphones tahn the ones you guys recommend so I guess it'll come down to weighing each and deciding from there .Thanks guys for all your help especially pjones5 for all the recomendations.
The mids are anything but lacking. They are the star of the show. If you want super extended, airy highs, then you might want to look elsewhere. They sound just fine imo.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back