Recommendations for a portable amp to go with my westone 3
Oct 12, 2013 at 12:09 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Oval56

New Head-Fier
Hi

After reading loads of reviews and some recommendations I recieved previously I decided to take the plunge and have bought some Westone 3's. I'm using them primarily with my HTC One X and love them but was hoping for a little more bass. I listen to a lot of drum n bass but also listen to stuff like Led Zep and seasick Steve so for me they seemed like thebest option. I'm currently in the process of converting my music to lossless files to really make the most of the them. I have been thinking of getting a portable amp to boost the bass a little but am not sure as have read some reviews and threads where people have suggested that the W3's don't really benefit from a portable amp. I don't know a lot about portable amps and don't want to spend too much money but noticed the fiio e07 is also a DAC player, do all the amps do this too as standard? Is this amp any good?

Also I have only listened to my W3's for about 20 hours and don't know if they need burning in and if so will this improve the bass?

Any help would be much appreciated!!

Thanks

Oct 13, 2013 at 3:42 PM Post #2 of 11
Not all the amps come with dac. Mostly the amps with dac are expensive. I think if you are looking for sound improvement, you need to get a better source component because you are using your phone and wait till your iem is burned in.

Nov 28, 2013 at 3:01 PM Post #6 of 11
So I've been using my W3's for a while now and really enjoy the clarity they provide but am still don't fell there is enough bass! Does anyone have any recommendations?   I am still using my phone, HTC OneX, and have converted all my files to lossless.   It's been suggested I use a different source but even using my laptop or home amp I still don't feel I am getting significantly more bass so I really don't think this is the issue.   

Nov 29, 2013 at 4:37 AM Post #7 of 11
So I've been using my W3's for a while now and really enjoy the clarity they provide but am still don't fell there is enough bass! Does anyone have any recommendations?   I am still using my phone, HTC OneX, and have converted all my files to lossless.   It's been suggested I use a different source but even using my laptop or home amp I still don't feel I am getting significantly more bass so I really don't think this is the issue.   

Westone 3 should be providing a decent amount of bass, especially in mid bass regions. It's hard to judge not knowing your preference on how much 'bass' is enough. Try some different tips to make sure you're achieving a proper seal first. Then you could always try amping with FiiO E11 and use the bass boost features. Personally I prefer the C&C BH amp for a little more.

Nov 30, 2013 at 9:36 AM Post #9 of 11
JDS Labs C5D has a DAC and bass boost.

+1
I can only imagine a C5D having a similar sound signature, if not better than its predecessor, the C5.

C5 was awesome, with a monstrous bass boost feature (switch).

Dec 6, 2013 at 11:45 AM Post #11 of 11
   ...have converted all my files to lossless.   

Hey just some advice for the future: converting all your existing files to lossless won't do you any good. If the music file has already been compressed, it has already "lost" the information one would retain by using a lossless format originally. You cannot decompress a file and get that information back; all you did was increase file size without any sonic gain. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back