Recommendations for a good pair of over/on ear heaphones (small budget)
Oct 26, 2010 at 2:09 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

reeelax

New Head-Fier
Hey guys,

I'm looking to purchase a new pair of cans. I have Sennheiser in-ear buds (CX-300s) that I've used for quite some time but don't really want to use those for in-house purposes.

Couple of details; these headphones I purchase will mainly be used with my computer and my iPod, so I will not be using any amplifier or anything to drive them. It's mainly for watching movies/shows at night when everyone in the house is asleep, and obviously for music.

I'm 23 years old and just finished uni, started work and almost all of that goes into bills and student loans. My budget is about $100-$130. I know it's not a lot but I'm sure I should be able to find something.

I was looking at Beats but was told by people there is stuff out there that sounds better and is a fraction of the price.

Now, here's the thing...sound quality is very important to me. I absolutely love my music, it's probably my biggest form of entertainment, I can't imagine my life without music.

Any and all advice/suggestions are greatly appreciated!

Oct 26, 2010 at 2:33 PM Post #2 of 20
What kind of music do you listen to?

Oct 26, 2010 at 3:11 PM Post #3 of 20
-Perhaps the Audio Technica ATH-M50? Although those go for $150
-I have never heard the Shure SRH 440, but that's in your price range, maybe someone could recommend those?
-Also, Sony MDR-V6. I have a pair of these, they aren't really my favorite, I find them a little too harsh unless I EQ them a tad.

These are closed headphones, which would be good for portable use but usually open headphones are more desirable for home use. Ask someone else about open headphones, I don't have much experience with open phones.

I'd say if you're looking for a good multi-purpose headphone, get the ATH M50

Oct 26, 2010 at 3:23 PM Post #4 of 20

Quote:
What kind of music do you listen to?

Everything really. Genre wise; Indie, Progressive, Electronic, Hip-Hop, etc...

Artist wise; Pink Floyd, Animal Collective, Ratatat, MGMT, Kid CuDi, etc...

Quote:
-Perhaps the Audio Technica ATH-M50? Although those go for $150
-I have never heard the Shure SRH 440, but that's in your price range, maybe someone could recommend those?
-Also, Sony MDR-V6. I have a pair of these, they aren't really my favorite, I find them a little too harsh unless I EQ them a tad.

These are closed headphones, which would be good for portable use but usually open headphones are more desirable for home use. Ask someone else about open headphones, I don't have much experience with open phones.

I'd say if you're looking for a good multi-purpose headphone, get the ATH M50

Awesome, thank for the info. Will research into those.

Oct 26, 2010 at 5:35 PM Post #5 of 20
The M50 may be your best bet then.  They're good all-rounders that do everything but classical very well.  I can't think of anything else in that price range with the same genre bandwidth.  There could be something out there like that but is just not as well known though.

Oct 26, 2010 at 7:38 PM Post #6 of 20

Quote:
The M50 may be your best bet then.  They're good all-rounders that do everything but classical very well.  I can't think of anything else in that price range with the same genre bandwidth.  There could be something out there like that but is just not as well known though.

After a bit of research, I've narrowed it down to the SRH 440 and the M50, I don't think I like the MDR-V6. Between the 440 and M50 though I really don't know which one...I think I'm leaning towards the 440. 

Is it true that 440 provides better overall mids and sound, whereas M50 is more for bass? 

Oct 26, 2010 at 9:44 PM Post #7 of 20
Nov 3, 2010 at 1:16 AM Post #8 of 20
Ok so I did some more research in terms of price.

I'm up here in Toronto, Canada. There is a store down the street from my house selling the Shure 440s for $120 CAD.

The M50s were obviously harder to find. I found an American store online selling them for $120 CAD, but shipping will cost me around $30. So in total the M50s will run me $150.

At those price points, which one should I be looking at?

Nov 3, 2010 at 1:37 AM Post #9 of 20
Since your in Canada if your OK trying an open air headphone go to Walmart and get a pair of Onn open headphones ($40) and they also have Onn closed headphones for $30 (haven't hear the closed model myself yet). See if you like their sound signature. If not return promptly for a no hassle refund. If you do like them, take the money saved and get a cheap amp which will make them sound even better and for $25 worth of cable get them recalled. (take a look for an Onn thread I started which has more info). You have nothing to lose but a bit of your time.

Nov 3, 2010 at 1:21 PM Post #10 of 20

Quote:
Since your in Canada if your OK trying an open air headphone go to Walmart and get a pair of Onn open headphones ($40) and they also have Onn closed headphones for $30 (haven't hear the closed model myself yet). See if you like their sound signature. If not return promptly for a no hassle refund. If you do like them, take the money saved and get a cheap amp which will make them sound even better and for $25 worth of cable get them recalled. (take a look for an Onn thread I started which has more info). You have nothing to lose but a bit of your time.

I checked your initial thread on the Onn open headphones. They look pretty cheap to be honest, but they are $40 afterall. I might swing by Walmart and grab them just to try out. $150 and $40 is a big difference, but the more research I do the more praise I hear about the M50s.

Nov 4, 2010 at 1:37 AM Post #11 of 20
They look cheap but they are comfortable and if you do nothing but sit in the parking lot for 10 minutes and walk back into the store for a refund, at least you'll know if they are worth while or not. Sonically they are darn fine headphones compared to the stuff I have tried.

Nov 4, 2010 at 4:23 AM Post #12 of 20
Save up $150 and get the MS1i's

Nov 4, 2010 at 2:32 PM Post #15 of 20
How about the denon 1001s?  from what I hear, they're great all around phones that are darn comfy....also can be had for less than $100!  might want to look into some reviews of those here....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back