Recommendations For A Cheap Entry-level DAP
Feb 22, 2018 at 7:38 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

williamclarkonet

Head-Fier
I am looking for a good cheap entry-level DAP i want to go as cheap as possible. I currently looking at the xduoo X2.

Feb 22, 2018 at 11:03 PM Post #4 of 12
the xDuoo X 2 is a lovely sounding device. one of my favourites. lots of clarity and power. you may have some quibbles with the UI but youll get used to it and you may want to prize off the mirror screen
Im also looking at the Fiio M3 but cant decided between the 2

Feb 24, 2018 at 11:03 AM Post #5 of 12
Im also looking at the Fiio M3 but cant decided between the 2

Forget the M3. It was actually discontinued not long after Fiio released it. They weren't happy with it (yet still released it) and so they stopped the production. The M3 had great potential, but whenever you talk about software and Fiio devices, the result is something quite lackluster.

They recently announced the Fiio M7, which actually seems like it could really be an awesome device. But the only info about it is on their Chinese sight, so no idea on the actual release date or price.

I'd have to agree with @Oscar-HiFi here, the AP60 II is probably your best bet in terms of bang-for-buck value. However, the Shanling M2s is a better built and more polished unit for $200, and then there's also the M3s which steps things up for an additional $80 or so. The display is quite possibly the best on ANY DAP out there (300 PPI, which not even the $1000+ DAPs can match), and both devices (M2s and M3s) can be used as a DAC for a smartphone or computer, has a proper line out to be used with external amps, has BT and AptX, as well as digital output to be used with external DACs.
The AP60 II does not have a lineout function, and the screen is nowhere near as good as the Shanling devices.

Feb 24, 2018 at 5:21 PM Post #6 of 12
What's "entry level" mean to you though? For $50ish you can get a manufacturer refurbished Clip+ that will hold as much music as one can realistically want via microSD card. The Rockbox software (free) turns it into a giant-killer that will easily match or better anything you can get for $100 to $120. (As an aside, these used to be like $25, but they're so popular that demand>supply these days)

If you want things like full color screen, album art display, line out, etc. then you're barking up a whole other tree that I wouldn't necessarily classify as "entry level" but to each his own.

What are your requirements in a music player? I guess that's the main question to ask.

Last edited:
Feb 28, 2018 at 1:15 PM Post #7 of 12
What's "entry level" mean to you though? For $50ish you can get a manufacturer refurbished Clip+ that will hold as much music as one can realistically want via microSD card. The Rockbox software (free) turns it into a giant-killer that will easily match or better anything you can get for $100 to $120. (As an aside, these used to be like $25, but they're so popular that demand>supply these days)

If you want things like full color screen, album art display, line out, etc. then you're barking up a whole other tree that I wouldn't necessarily classify as "entry level" but to each his own.

What are your requirements in a music player? I guess that's the main question to ask.
It would have to play flac files and be sub $50 thats the only requirements

Jul 10, 2019 at 11:13 PM Post #8 of 12
For <$50, You can try screenless DAPs like Zishan or Walnut DAPs. They offer pretty good SQ, rollable op amps. Best price-to-performance DAPs. But, for a <$50 (Z1, Z2, V2/s), no screen available. If u want with a screen, maybe Zishan Z3 is for you, or u can also get the Zishan 799 instead, also known as Zishan DSD. It utilizes the great AK4497EQ with better screen than Z3

Jul 11, 2019 at 4:39 PM Post #9 of 12
Zishan Z1 or Walnut can be had for about $28-$35. They are screen less but have incredible sound quality especially for the money.

Jul 14, 2019 at 1:02 PM Post #10 of 12
Sorry but that is just plain wrong. I did some measurements on the zishan z2 and it's horrible due to output capacitors and 100 ohms output resistors (+ a strange dip at 1khz, maybe fake opamp or something). https://www.head-fi.org/threads/the...torial-in-post-2.800208/page-17#post-15056901

The Walnut in the same thread has been measured to be an absolutely atrocious device too.

I got the zishan because it has its appeal as a kind of old Walkman : I put full albums in single files on it and LISTEN with high z headphones instead of constantly shuffling around but having at least a voice over naming what you're listening to would be thousands time better. I plan to mod it for low z iems, but at the end of the day it will have cost me 32€ zishan + 8€ opamp = not worth it at all unless you're really attracted by the niche concept, and certainly don't get this as your main device you'll regret it!

For 45€ you can get a xduoo x2 for example, would serve you much better, or just a USB-c dac like hidizs sonata HD, 30€, and use your smartphone!

Jul 20, 2019 at 9:15 PM Post #12 of 12
If you're looking for budget but decent sound, can play flac files, and good battery life, I definitely wouldn't rule out the Ruizu A50. Nifty little player for its size, and definitely for its price as well. The screen is decent and it's a nice design imo. No onboard storage so will need to factor in price of a micro SD for your music if not already on one. Around 45 USD on AliExpress.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back