Recommendations: DAC/Streamer with SPDIF coax out.
Aug 7, 2022 at 7:55 PM Post #32 of 40
Take a look at the Bluesound Node. Checks a lot of your boxes.
No, a Bluesound is a huge waste of money for anybody who wants to stream only off a NAS or local files.

Aug 7, 2022 at 7:58 PM Post #33 of 40
No, a Bluesound is a huge waste of money for anybody who wants to stream only off a NAS or local files.
Okay, please take me through your analysis.

For me, it integrates my NAS, Amazon Music, and provides a conduit for Apple Airplay 2.
Plus I feed my PC through the optical input (a Topping DAC send the optical to the node).

It has a good app for remote control.

Last edited:
Aug 7, 2022 at 8:04 PM Post #34 of 40
Okay, please take me through your analysis.

For me, it integrates my NAS, Amazon Music, and provides a conduit for Apple Airplay 2.
Plus I feed my PC through the optical input.

It has a good app for remote control.
You have a streaming service, the OP said several times he doesn't have streaming and doesn't want it. Going by his requirements, Bluesound is not the answer. The part of the app that plays local files or streams from Samba is slow and really not very good. A Pi-based streamer or something else like that is less than half the price of a Bluesound and is going to be a better user experience for people who don't use streaming services.

Aug 7, 2022 at 8:06 PM Post #35 of 40
You have a streaming service, the OP said several times he doesn't have streaming and doesn't want it. Going by his requirements, Bluesound is not the answer. The part of the app that plays local files or streams from Samba is slow and really not very good. A Pi-based streamer or something else like that is less than half the price of a Bluesound and is going to be a better user experience for people who don't use streaming services.
I like your analysis and it makes sense. However, I would point out that the Samba streaming might be slow but it has never been an issue with anything I have sent to the unit. So I would argue that it is fast enough for government work.

Aug 7, 2022 at 8:52 PM Post #36 of 40
I like your analysis and it makes sense. However, I would point out that the Samba streaming might be slow but it has never been an issue with anything I have sent to the unit. So I would argue that it is fast enough for government work.
Well, I don't mean the rate of data. I meant that the app is slow at navigating the directory structure and not very good in general. It's a clunker! And anyway, he really needs only a transport (he can run the output into his RME) so I don't see any reason to use a Bluesound or anything similar.

Don't get me wrong, I think the Bluesound boxes are very good if you have streaming services and probably the best/cheap MQA solution. But for the use case in this thread, they're not on the list.

Aug 8, 2022 at 2:37 AM Post #37 of 40
Im gonna JCAT my pc and turn it into DLNA streamer.

I gave up on streamer(one solution) and bought TT2

Aug 8, 2022 at 4:49 AM Post #38 of 40
Im gonna JCAT my pc and turn it into DLNA streamer.

I gave up on streamer(one solution) and bought TT2
As long as you don't need DSD then minidlna is pretty easy to set up. I have it running on my FreeBSD box and it works fine. I really prefer CIFS/Samba though, since that way the client navigates the directory structure and can see whatever you host. The dlna servers provide specific filetypes. They're kinda two ways of looking at how to do content. If not for my Yamaha stack, I wouldn't use dlna at all.

Aug 8, 2022 at 5:02 AM Post #39 of 40
As long as you don't need DSD then minidlna is pretty easy to set up. I have it running on my FreeBSD box and it works fine. I really prefer CIFS/Samba though, since that way the client navigates the directory structure and can see whatever you host. The dlna servers provide specific filetypes. They're kinda two ways of looking at how to do content. If not for my Yamaha stack, I wouldn't use dlna at all.
I mostly use flac files. Have never tried DSD actually, but I am considering it one day to hear difference…

My dlna streamer is also my going to be DAW(cubase) at the sametime. Both my TT2 and SSL2+ will be connected to the jcat usb.

Aug 8, 2022 at 3:38 PM Post #40 of 40
I mostly use flac files. Have never tried DSD actually, but I am considering it one day to hear difference…

My dlna streamer is also my going to be DAW(cubase) at the sametime. Both my TT2 and SSL2+ will be connected to the jcat usb.
DSD only makes sense if you take an analog output from your DSD capable DAC and feed the analog to an amp that does not digitize the signal. Otherwise one might as well stick with PCM.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back