Recommendation sought: Headphones in a very noisy environment
Jun 21, 2010 at 7:26 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

max789

New Head-Fier

Hi, all

I'll work in an office next to a construction site during summer and expect a very high noise level. Can anyone recommend a headphone set which is very effective in shutting out external noise? I'm more concerned with the comfort level during extended usage than sound quality.

Would a noise-cancelling feature be of much help in this circumstance?

Your feedback, please!

Max 

Jun 21, 2010 at 8:38 AM Post #4 of 13
I find my Pro900's seam to block out quite alot of noise although I haven't really tested them in any high noise environments.  

Jun 21, 2010 at 9:12 AM Post #5 of 13
ANC actually would help with some of the low frequency noises, as well as IEMs, but at the same time some effect of construction sites are felt rather than heard anyways. Passive sealed headphones are in general better at blocking out the mids and the highs. 

Jun 23, 2010 at 11:12 PM Post #6 of 13
Thanks, all, for your helpful feedback.

In my continued survey, I've expanded my search to wireless headphones with a closed back design, as I've to walk around in the office and the wireless facility would be very handy.

I understand that the transmitter of many such wireless headphones will switch itself when no sound is transmitted. For my purposes, this is a deal breaker. Does anyone know of a wireless, closed back headphone set with a transmitter which won't turn itself off?

Thanks again!

Jun 23, 2010 at 11:51 PM Post #7 of 13
Why not look at getting the Sansa Clip+ and hifiman RE0's?

Quote:

In my continued survey, I've expanded my search to wireless headphones with a closed back design, as I've to walk around in the office and the wireless facility would be very handy.

I understand that the transmitter of many such wireless headphones will switch itself when no sound is transmitted. For my purposes, this is a deal breaker. Does anyone know of a wireless, closed back headphone set with a transmitter which won't turn itself off?

Thanks again!

Jun 24, 2010 at 6:39 AM Post #8 of 13
Check out the Sennheiser HD 25. They do an excellent job in blocking out noise. They are on-ear headphones though, so they might get a little uncomfortable after extended use. They sound amazing though.

Jun 24, 2010 at 10:08 AM Post #9 of 13
Etymotic is probably the best choice for blocking outside noise.  If you aren't familiar with IEMs, they are tiny headphones that fit inside your ear like earplugs, and isolate like earplugs.  They block sound better than almost any full sized closed back.  The deep bass will still get through, but that's not going to damage your hearing.  Some people find them uncomfortable, so you'd do well to order a cheap pair of Etys and see how you like the fit.  Headroom has a good return policy, so give them a try and send them back if they don't work out.

If those don't work out, then the jackhammer headphones are probably your next best bet.

Jun 25, 2010 at 8:43 AM Post #10 of 13
From my know-how, if I may suggest something, go for  Sennheiser HD 25 - you could choose from following versions of this great passive phones:

HD 25-1 II - 70 Ohms, 1.5m steel cable with rt.angled 3.5mm mini-jack and screw-on adaptor to 1/4" jack. These come with leatherette *and* velour earpads and a drawstring carry bag.

HD 25-1 II Special Edition - 70 Ohms, 1.5m cable with rt.angled 3.5mm mini-jack and screw-on adaptor to 1/4" jack. These come with only leatherette earpads and a nice zip case. These are no longer available as far as I am aware.

HD 25 II - 70 Ohms, 2m steel cable with straight 3.5mm mini-jack and screw-on adaptor to 1/4" jack.

HD 25-C II - 70 Ohms, 2/3m coiled coiled cable with straight 3.5mm mini-jack and screw-on adaptor to 1/4" jack.

HD 25-13 II - 600 Ohms, 3m steel cable with straight 3.5mm mini-jack and screw-on adaptor to 1/4" jack.

HD 25-SP II - Lower quality version without the split headband, 60 Ohms, 3m cable with straight 3.5mm mini-jack and screw-on adaptor to 1/4" jack.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
- quotation from  http://forums.dvdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=50863  
wink.gif

I own HD 25-C II, and their capability of noise-canceling is huge (for passive canceling), besides that, there´s something more in packet - amazing sound, clean and correct. I could said that noise-canceling of this babies is around 30 dB - IMO, just on your ears, without sound in them. So, when you turn on your sound....it´s massive.

Jun 25, 2010 at 2:10 PM Post #11 of 13
You can't beat IEMs for passive noise reduction. My favorites are a couple of the Shure models, especially when used with the "black olive" tips, which are the most comfortable IEM tips I've tried.

Jun 25, 2010 at 3:38 PM Post #12 of 13

Quote:

Thanks again!

I remember just one pair, oldschool,  owned by my cousin even this days (he bought them at least 8 years ago) Technics RPWF920EB
...but now it´s hard to find anything about them, I discovered just this poor info:

http://www.ciao.co.uk/Productinformation/Technics_RPWF920EB__5719248

But, from which I know, their transmitter didn´t turn off if it´s lost signal, or your music stop playing or something. Unfortunately, I don´t give a **** about it´s sound isolation, it´s a sometime, when I had to listen them.

Nowadays you can look for some stucks from Sennheiser, I suposed, like for instance: PX 210 BT or PXC 310 BT, but I never heard them, so...just suggestion.

PS: Sorry for my poor ENG, I am not a native speaker
wink_face.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back