recommendation from piano fans
Dec 10, 2008 at 7:54 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

AJan

New Head-Fier
Hi guys!

Noob here. After listening to a friend's Keith Jarret CD, I'm now considering collecting some piano CDs but have seriously no idea where to start. Contemporary vs Classical, etc. etc.

From a few weeks back, while watching Top Chef on TV, I've also noticed some of their background tracks to be piano tunes but utilizing more on the lowest keys, which honestly sounded awesome and cutting edge. (I imagine those would also be great test tracks for some phones because of the decay and timbre)

I am also a bit familiar with some Philip Glass piano and cello tracks and found them enjoyable as well.

Any recommendations from any genre would be appreciated! Cheers!!!

Dec 11, 2008 at 4:49 AM Post #2 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by AJan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi guys!

Noob here. After listening to a friend's Keith Jarret CD, I'm now considering collecting some piano CDs but have seriously no idea where to start. Contemporary vs Classical, etc. etc.

From a few weeks back, while watching Top Chef on TV, I've also noticed some of their background tracks to be piano tunes but utilizing more on the lowest keys, which honestly sounded awesome and cutting edge. (I imagine those would also be great test tracks for some phones because of the decay and timbre)

I am also a bit familiar with some Philip Glass piano and cello tracks and found them enjoyable as well.

Any recommendations from any genre would be appreciated! Cheers!!!

Ajan-

Go buy Ludovico Einaudi's "Divenire" now.
Then, go buy all of his other albums.

Dec 11, 2008 at 7:52 AM Post #3 of 11
A couple you should pick up:

51DhU-B1H0L._SL500_AA240_.jpg

csonsa2218.jpg

More info here: Zenph Studios home page re-performance MIDI Gould Tatum

If you haven't heard of these, Zenph used computers to recreate the performance of these two albums on a player piano. The originals were damaged/poorly recorded, but these aren't. They recorded in DSD and the discs are SACD hybrid - you can play them in a regular player.

But what really makes them special is that both have binaural versions on the discs. If you've never heard binaural, it's a treat.

Dec 11, 2008 at 4:03 PM Post #4 of 11
David Lanz and Jim Brickman are pretty good for new-agey type of piano stuff, and some covers too. For Classical, Chopin was one of the premier piano composers. Beethoven's Fifth Piano Concerto is near the top of the heap too. Tchaikovsky's First Piano Concerto, Rachmaninoff's Second, and the Grieg Piano Concerto are all superior (you can find the latter 3 on the same CD).

Dec 12, 2008 at 6:20 PM Post #7 of 11
Bill Evans - Portrait in Jazz

Tommy Flanagan - Thelonica or Sea Changes

Charlie Haden, Billy Higgins, Enrico Pieranunzi - First Song

Dec 13, 2008 at 1:07 AM Post #8 of 11
For some neo-classical piano check out Max Richter. He incorporates electronics and string quartets.

Dec 13, 2008 at 3:45 AM Post #10 of 11
If you enjoy jazz, Eldar Djangirov is an great. Get Bill Evans and Art Tatum before Eldar, though. You can't pass up the masters. Monk, Herbie Hancock, Errol Garner, and Cyrus Chestnut are also EXCELLENT pianists.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back