Recommendation for this Old Man
Feb 9, 2009 at 11:13 AM Post #16 of 29
All the cans I can think of to suggest aren't neutral. What you really could do with is a pair of Sennheiser HD-600s, but they aren't closed.

Denons and Ultrasones tend quite often to have a lot of bass, but this isn't necessarily a bad thing. If you listen to a lot of classical and jazz you wont notice this.

Consider buying second-hand from the forums. You'll have to PM sellers, but it's a cheaper way of trying out headphones if there isn't somewhere local that has a range you can try.

Feb 9, 2009 at 11:26 AM Post #17 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by Currawong /img/forum/go_quote.gif
All the cans I can think of to suggest aren't neutral. What you really could do with is a pair of Sennheiser HD-600s, but they aren't closed.

EDIT: oops, misread part of the OP's post

The OP is also looking for something warm: "I favor warm over bright and neutral over forward presentation."

But I agree with the hd600 recommendation, I'd say the hd600s are slightly warmish too, if quite laidback in presentation. Very detailed as well, but I'd hesitate to call them neutral.

Feb 9, 2009 at 11:33 AM Post #18 of 29
Welcome to Head-Fi! From all the things I have read the DT150s are right up your alley. Consider some AKGs as well.

Feb 9, 2009 at 4:57 PM Post #19 of 29
I also prefer closed cans so as to not wake the kids or bother the wife while she's watching TV. I have a pair of ATH-A900s. They're definitely not bright, but not terribly warm either. They're super comfortable, but also huge and not terribly involving. I just upgraded to ULtrasone Pro 750s. I tried the HFI 780s, but they were way too bright for me, so I would stay away from those. The 750s are less aggressive but still detailed, a little bass heavy. But given your preference for warmth, I would stay away from Ultrasone. I guess it depends on the source and the music, but they probably aren't what you're looking for.

Feb 9, 2009 at 6:16 PM Post #20 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by Doo Doo Brown /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I also prefer closed cans so as to not wake the kids or bother the wife while she's watching TV. I have a pair of ATH-A900s. They're definitely not bright, but not terribly warm either. They're super comfortable, but also huge and not terribly involving. I just upgraded to ULtrasone Pro 750s. I tried the HFI 780s, but they were way too bright for me, so I would stay away from those. The 750s are less aggressive but still detailed, a little bass heavy. But given your preference for warmth, I would stay away from Ultrasone. I guess it depends on the source and the music, but they probably aren't what you're looking for.

Funnily I had the exact opposite experience. Goes to show that no pair of ears is alike I guess. The pro 750's were too bright for me, they had a metallic sound to them that really got to me. The 680/780s on the other hand were not too bright for me once they'd settled in (they need some time).

Feb 9, 2009 at 8:09 PM Post #22 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by Doo Doo Brown /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'll admit, I didn't give the 780s enough burn in time. I'd love to hear how they sound properly burned in with a recable.

I never heard a recabled 780 but I'd like to as well.

Feb 10, 2009 at 2:47 AM Post #23 of 29
Hey, thanks everyone for your replies and advice. I really appreciate it. You've given me some new ideas. I recognize that I'm making a compromise in going closed vs. open, but its so as not to disturb the wife and kids.

Right now I'm leaning Little Dot MK II. Based on the prevalence of responses, I'm going to see if I can find a place to demo the Beyers and AKG in addition to the Senns. However, the last time I looked up the AKG, they didnt seem to sell the 271 new anymore.

I've read nothing but good things about Grados, but I they seem more aggressive then what I'm looking for (+ I think they are not circumaural).

Feb 10, 2009 at 3:55 AM Post #24 of 29
The only circumaural Grados are the GS-1000. And yes, Grados are on the aggressive side, but they sound so good with rock. Even if you don't buy a pair, you really have to have a listen some time. I didn't think I'd like them from what I read, but the RS-1 sure gets a lot of head time.

Feb 10, 2009 at 4:07 AM Post #25 of 29
Deke,
Welcome to Head-Fi land! : ) It's time to plot a histogram of all the recommendations you've gotten so far and find the "mode" of the distribution.

I'll add a shameless plug for the D2000 and a hybrid or SS amp. The K240 sextetts (semi-open) are nice, too.
PAB

Feb 10, 2009 at 12:33 PM Post #26 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by pataburd /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Deke,
Welcome to Head-Fi land! : ) It's time to plot a histogram of all the recommendations you gotten so far and find the "mode" of the distribution.

I'll add a shameless plug for the D2000 and a hybrid or SS amp. The K240 sextetts (semi-open) are nice, too.
PAB

Denon, right? I'll add that and the Milan to the sampling list.

Feb 10, 2009 at 1:25 PM Post #28 of 29
lol been there-done that- i used to play with open air headphones turned down low so i can hear the kids. now its closed cans so i can hear my games the way i want and not disturb them when they sleep.
i suggest the jvc hadx1 for a neutral closed can. best ever under 100$. also i have a creek amp. its kind of a bright amp-not a warm bassy one tho i can eq in the sound i want

Feb 11, 2009 at 10:11 AM Post #29 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by REB /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I second the Beyerdynamic dt150 suggestion. These are great (and underestimated) cans, warm and involving, very detailed and with good separation. Plus, they're built like a pair of bricks, which is a good thing given the enthusiasm of little children for daddy's interesting looking stuff
smily_headphones1.gif
. Speaking from experience here. And with a Little Dot amp it's hard to go wrong I think.

I agree completely, couldn't have said it better
beyersmile.png

They sound quite natural and balanced.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back