Recommendation for Techno/Jpop $350 max
Jul 17, 2010 at 4:36 AM Post #16 of 34
yeah, I really wouldn't factor in the 70x for that genre, I have them, both 70x and Jpop/rock and I really really don't think they are a good match for stuff like Ayumi, but if you listen to stuff like Utada or Namie, then you should be fine, but I think you could do better.

Jul 17, 2010 at 4:40 AM Post #17 of 34

Quote:
yeah, I really wouldn't factor in the 70x for that genre, I have them, both 70x and Jpop/rock and I really really don't think they are a good match for stuff like Ayumi, but if you listen to stuff like Utada or Namie, then you should be fine, but I think you could do better.

Thanks, I took off the 70x as I listen to all of them pretty equally. It looks like the best thing to do is to find a good deal for the AD2000 due to the amp situation with the dt880 / 990

Jul 17, 2010 at 6:41 AM Post #19 of 34
I enjoy minimal techno with my K-702, but if this will be your first hps I'll highly recommend you the Ultrasones Pro/PL-650 /DJ-1Pro and PRO-550/580. as well for more natural sound the GMP 8.35 and the M-50.

Jul 17, 2010 at 5:10 PM Post #21 of 34
Why so much distaste on the K701? I listen to quite a lot of j-pop through my K702's and they bring out the best of those songs. Although I agree, they do require an amp to bring the best out of these headphones as well as the bass (which is far from anemic when amped). But since your budget would constrict the possibility of getting an amp, I would also suggest heading toward the Audio-Technica headphones.

Jul 17, 2010 at 5:20 PM Post #23 of 34
Leaning towards ES10 or GMP 8.35. GMP can be easily found on Amazon but with ES10 I'd have to wait / look around for a used one. I really like how they look though, maybe I'll get lucky and find a good deal

EDIT: Found ES10's for close to my price range somewhere.. Just need to wait a week or so before I can buy, I hope they are still there ;_;

Jul 17, 2010 at 6:25 PM Post #24 of 34

Quote:
Leaning towards ES10 or GMP 8.35. GMP can be easily found on Amazon but with ES10 I'd have to wait / look around for a used one. I really like how they look though, maybe I'll get lucky and find a good deal

EDIT: Found ES10's for close to my price range somewhere.. Just need to wait a week or so before I can buy, I hope they are still there ;_;

May I ask where? You have to be very careful as there are many counterfeits around. Make sure the seller you are buying from is located in Japan.

Jul 18, 2010 at 12:27 AM Post #25 of 34

Why so much distaste on the K701? I listen to quite a lot of j-pop through my K702's and they bring out the best of those songs. Although I agree, they do require an amp to bring the best out of these headphones as well as the bass (which is far from anemic when amped). But since your budget would constrict the possibility of getting an amp, I would also suggest heading toward the Audio-Technica headphones.

I don't think it's hate or distaste. I have them myself and enjoy them to varying degrees. It's just knowing that there are certain genres that it is better with. Again, with jpop, it depends on what sort you listen to. Ayumi, or jrock wouldn't work well. I'm certain of the former not the latter though I could test that with some gackt later

Jul 18, 2010 at 12:39 AM Post #26 of 34

Quote:
I don't think it's hate or distaste. I have them myself and enjoy them to varying degrees. It's just knowing that there are certain genres that it is better with. Again, with jpop, it depends on what sort you listen to. Ayumi, or jrock wouldn't work well. I'm certain of the former not the latter though I could test that with some gackt later

I understand your point and agree. I think the way the music is mastered also matters tremendously. As for j-rock, UVERworld sounds amazing on my K702's, whereas other j-rock artists do not sound as good because the music is not mastered as well. Overall, I think the mastering of the music is also a big factor in how well the music is reproduced on a headphone.

Jul 18, 2010 at 12:56 AM Post #27 of 34
Agreed. I have to go back and test how Gackt sounds :wink:

wish I had some of his stuff on my mobile now. Grr.

Jul 18, 2010 at 4:05 AM Post #28 of 34
Thanks for all of the replies so far I've learned a lot and it has helped my research.

Just to reiterate, I'm looking for hps for mostly techno/jpop. My "complaint" with my current (HD555 with foam removed) is that there just isn't enough bass. I'm not really a "basshead," but I just want more as well as improved sound in other areas compared to the HD555.

On the 1st page I mentioned the DT880s or DT990s but was told I'd need an amp for them. For my purpose, would a 880/32 or 990/32 be a good fit? Or should I go with an Ultrasone, or an ES10.

Slightly nervous as this is my first upgrade and the HD555s are the only headphones I've used that matter. I don't feel the need to try before I buy though.

The ATH-M50 looks good but I guess have the "disease" already, because I feel that they are too cheap, after all my max budget is $350.

All in all, something noticeably better than the 555 with great bass, not overwhelming but very impressive and controlled well.

Jul 18, 2010 at 4:25 AM Post #30 of 34

Quote:
The es10 will suit your need the best among the cans you've listed(again).

Haha, sorry. I'm just a little paranoid for the reason I listed in my previous post. I'll go with them then, thank you.

EDIT: To answer your question from before, I'll make sure to get them from a japanese seller. I actually looked on amazon.co.jp. There are 16 different retailers through there. Will have to use a shipping service and it will be like $50-$60 in fees but oh well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back