New Head-Fier
Currently own HD555, looking at either

SA5000 DT880 HD 650 HD 600

Looking for more bass than HD555

mostly for female vocals, speed, techno, bass

from my research it looks like SA5000 would be the best so far

thanks

Jul 16, 2010 at 10:02 PM Post #2 of 34
When I was researching my next upgrade I looked at SA5000s and everything I saw said they were pretty bass light, but very fast and detailed?

Jul 16, 2010 at 11:36 PM Post #4 of 34
I'd probably take the DT770/80 off your list. I found them to have overpowering boomy bass and recessed mids which at least to me made them useless for music though they do quite well with games and movies. Though I haven't heard them I would imagine FWIR that the K701 would also not suit your needs as they are bass light, again FWIR so I could be off here. I would recommend the Audio Technica AD2000 but it's a bit out of your price range when bought used. They are incredible with vocals, quick almost effortless presentation, good bass, wonderful imaging and soundstaging, and extremely involving and musical, imo. Ultrasones or Denons may also be worth considering your price range as I find they do quite good with the genres you listed though the Denons aren't  as fast.
Do you have an amp/dac? How much bass do you want?

Jul 16, 2010 at 11:43 PM Post #5 of 34

Quote:
I'd probably take the DT770/80 off your list. I found them to have overpowering boomy bass and recessed mids which at least to me made them useless for music though they do quite well with games and movies. Though I haven't heard them I would imagine FWIR that the K701 would also not suit your needs as they are bass light, again FWIR so I could be off here. I would recommend the Audio Technica AD2000 but it's a bit out of your price range when bought used. They are incredible with vocals, quick almost effortless presentation, good bass, wonderful imaging and soundstaging, and extremely involving and musical, imo. Ultrasones or Denons may also be worth considering your price range as I find they do quite good with the genres you listed though the Denons aren't  as fast.
Do you have an amp/dac? How much bass do you want?

Don't have an AMP/DAC yet but I'll be getting a gamma-1 and mini 3 soon probably. I noticed after doing the 595 mod on my HD555's that I just felt more bass so let's say on a scale of 1-10 the 555's modded have a bass of 5, i'd rather have a 7.5

Jul 17, 2010 at 12:43 AM Post #6 of 34
DT990 sounds like a good fit if you've got a decent amp. They're on sale for about $220 currently at B+H (add to cart to see reduction)

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/614495-REG/Beyerdynamic_483966_DT_990_Premium_Open_Back.html

A good bit of bass, with reasonable mids and highs according to what I've read. I've come very close to pulling the trigger on these or the DT880s several times in the last few days, but think I'm going to upgrade my DAP before I get more headphones.

Jul 17, 2010 at 1:14 AM Post #7 of 34
I'm really into Jpop myself and my favorite singer is a female singer in Japan (chara). Since this is a favorite genre I try to find a good headphone that matches up with it. I basically tried over a dozen different pairs. I ended up with the HD-600. But without an amp it's just not worth it. A good AV receiver might work.

You can get by with using a $100 Total Airhead, but it's not suggested since you can't get the volume extremely loud with that combination.

It's might be tempting to get the 32ohm version of the DT-880 or 990 and skip the amp, but I don't suggest this. Vocals just did not sound as natural on these headphones as the HD-600. I understand that the 600 ohm versions are much better. Both of those headphones just provide so much excessive detail that I can't stand them for very long.

The best headphone I'd suggest without an amp is the Shure SRH-840. It sounds great with techno and any kind of electronic music. For Jpop it's just about perfect.
They work just fine without an amp as long as you don't use a small mp3 player. They worked fine out of my Ipod touch.

Right now I am using the new Koss Pro DJ100 and they're pretty impressive for only $80. They may even be better then the SRH-840s, but I'm not sure yet. Without any doubt they sound better then my M50's that I also use.

The 840s have more bass then the 555's, but not a lot more. For bass, I'd suggest the M50s. The DJ100's have just as much, but is more natural and not so bloated.

Jul 17, 2010 at 1:45 AM Post #8 of 34
The Audio-Technica ATH-AD2000 is practically built for female vocals and the bass is just a bit stronger than the 595 as you require.

I got mine used for just a few dollars over your max including shipping so it's doable with your budget.

Jul 17, 2010 at 1:52 AM Post #9 of 34

Quote:
The Audio-Technica ATH-AD2000 is practically built for female vocals and the bass is just a bit stronger than the 595 as you require.

I got mine used for just a few dollars over your max including shipping so it's doable with your budget.

Where did you find them so cheap?

Jul 17, 2010 at 2:00 AM Post #10 of 34

Quote:
Where did you find them so cheap?

Right here in the FS forums. They also sold for $199.99 @ Musician's Friend a last month- I missed that. 
frown.gif

Jul 17, 2010 at 2:39 AM Post #11 of 34

Quote:

Right here in the FS forums. They also sold for $199.99 @ Musician's Friend a last month- I missed that. 
frown.gif

Oh cool, thanks. Well I am interested in these, but do you know a few that are similar to the AD2000  but are more readily available near my price range? I don't have all of my cash yet but when I do I'm probably going to want to upgrade within a few days instead of waiting around for the deals

Jul 17, 2010 at 3:52 AM Post #13 of 34
Well I compared all of the numbers and had the HD595 tab open as well as the others in my list and it looks like these would be the best actually :

http://www.headphonereviews.org/headphone/Beyerdynamic/DT990+%282005%29

I'm not sure how reliable that site is though, is that specific model good, or would an 880 600 be better

Jul 17, 2010 at 4:21 AM Post #14 of 34

Quote:
Well I compared all of the numbers and had the HD595 tab open as well as the others in my list and it looks like these would be the best actually :

http://www.headphonereviews.org/headphone/Beyerdynamic/DT990+%282005%29

I'm not sure how reliable that site is though, is that specific model good, or would an 880 600 be better

You will need an amp to run the beyer to its standard.

Jul 17, 2010 at 4:29 AM Post #15 of 34
nix that k701, pretty anemic if your entire budget is 350

second the ad2k if you can extend your budget a little and purchase used, they perform well unamped...I used to own a pair but ditched it for k1000s a few years back.

PS can't believe I missed a deal like that for the ad2ks I would have bought 3

Users who are viewing this thread

Back