Recommendation for Solid State Home Amp
Jun 30, 2008 at 4:18 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

flame

100+ Head-Fier
Buying a set of Denon D5000 headphone and have extra money left to spend on the amp. Looking for something around $0 - $800. Mostly listening to orchestra, classical and some Bee Gees
biggrin.gif

Thanks in advance!

Jun 30, 2008 at 5:06 AM Post #2 of 13
Ray Samuels Audio XP7 + Power Supply is $695. Haven't tried it with D5000, but you can email or phone Ray and ask him. He is one of the most honest guys in the biz and will tell you straight up if the combo will work. He puts customer care ahead of money -- he did with my last purchase!

I am now saving up for his Apache, but I have heard the XP7 with Senn 600's and a classical CD; it was great. Maybe others here can comment on the match with a D5000.

There's also Headroom -- I auditioned their higher-end stuff at CanJam 08 and the sound was great. Their Desk amp with Power Supply will fit in the budget.

You could also use a beefy portable amp like the iQube (I got mine from Drew at Moon-Audio; Drew will also tell you honestly how the iQube will sound with the Denon's if he knows). Took out the batteries (case is very hard to open but it will spring out eventually!) and switched to high-end rechargables plus an old Sprint phone power supply -- works perfectly now simply plugged in to the wall (you can use any 5-20 volt transformer with the right tip). Drives my 600-Ohm Beyer 880's perfectly. It's $500 plus the batteries ... Drew will let you return it if you don't like it.

Don't skimp on the interconnect cables you will need -- Drew made some of mine, and Randy at BrainSalad made the rest (435-627-1114). I insist on custom lengths so that everything is dressed and pretty. It might not make any SQ diff, but who cares!

What's your source ... a good CD player?

Jun 30, 2008 at 6:58 PM Post #3 of 13
My source will be either be Cowon D2 or my Laptop.
Thanks for your recommendation!

Bump for other recommendations and comments too!

Jun 30, 2008 at 7:12 PM Post #4 of 13
You might want to split the 800 and acquire a DAC while you're at it. That way you have a decent starting point when/if you decide to go electrostatic as well. Driving an 800$ amp with a laptop or mp3 player is a little lopsided, no offense of course.

Jun 30, 2008 at 7:20 PM Post #5 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by NoPants /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You might want to split the 800 and acquire a DAC while you're at it. That way you have a decent starting point when/if you decide to go electrostatic as well. Driving an 800$ amp with a laptop or mp3 player is a little lopsided, no offense of course.

Thank you for the heads up!
Ya right now i am going to use my laptop as a source, gonna save up a bit more for Cambridge or Arcam.
I don't really need the DAC, because i am unlikely to use the laptop as source after i save up enough
biggrin.gif

Anyone else has feedbacks on Little Dot MKV, Purity Audio KICAS or Corda Opera? Want to hear more from you all before i take any actions. Thanks!

Jun 30, 2008 at 7:21 PM Post #6 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by NoPants /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Are there any home dac/amp combo's like the portable combo's (Pico, Predator) Thanks.

Jun 30, 2008 at 8:38 PM Post #7 of 13
You might want to run a few searches on the PreSonus Central Station. I used one exclusively before switching to analog/SACD. It's a neutral, powerful amp with a clean upsampling DAC. Makes a nice passive preamp, as well, if you're interested in a speaker setup.

Meier Audio also makes good DAC/amp combos, as does HeadRoom. If you can live without the DAC, the Eddie Current EC SS is a fine amp, as is the Gilmore Lite. You might be able to get a custom Beta22 for that price.

Though for $800, I would take a hard look at a used Singlepower amp. Those are some of the best out there and you can build your system around one.

Jun 30, 2008 at 9:19 PM Post #8 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by inthecup /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Are there any home dac/amp combo's like the portable combo's (Pico, Predator) Thanks.

Possibly a little outdated at this point, but the PS audio GCHA is a pretty solid all-in-one performer, with USB input and RCA inputs in case you want to upgrade your source. My only gripe would be about its dynamic range though, but it drove everything quite satisfactorily I had at the time. I probably would've been 100% satisfied if I wasn't in a bumrush to try different things

Jul 5, 2008 at 8:33 AM Post #12 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by jinp6301 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If I were to start over with $800 for a source and an amp, I would most likely go Pico/Duet (for mac) + M^3

The M^3 is an excellent amp on a budget (and just overall). Leaves you a good amount to spend on source (the Pico is no slouch)

Jul 5, 2008 at 10:46 AM Post #13 of 13
My first choice would be the CIAudio VHP-2 with VAC-1 power supply, $600. Dead neutral to me.

2) PS Audio GCHA $1000. Neutral to a tad icy.

3) Naim Headline 2 $700 on up up up
eek.gif
, depending upon which power supply you choose. Neutral, a tad overly buzzy or overly energetic, whatever.

and maybe 4) Lehmann Black Cube Linear $1100 +/-. To me, not quite as refined as all of the above.

Tubes are fun, too.
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back